perl dumps core on AIX when loading external library

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk, Feb 13, 2006.

    I have an application built using perl 5.6 on AIX 4.3 which calls an
    external library (i.e. a ".so" file) using a bootstrap file.

    I have moved the application to perl 5.8 on aix 5.3 and whenever it
    starts any perl script with a reference to the external library (even
    where the external library is not called), it just dumps core.

    doing 'strings' on the core file, I can see that it seems to have
    loaded the .so file successfully, but I can't find out anything more.

    I have tried debugging it with "perl -d" but it hangs before getting to
    the first line of the script. Unfortunately the new environment has no
    C compiler or debugging tools on it.

    Any ideas as to what might cause this problem or what to try next?

    TIA

    Andy

    , Feb 13, 2006

    > I have an application built using perl 5.6 on AIX 4.3 which calls an
    > external library (i.e. a ".so" file) using a bootstrap file.

    Which library?

    , Feb 13, 2006

  3. Andy Fish Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >> I have an application built using perl 5.6 on AIX 4.3 which calls an
    >> external library (i.e. a ".so" file) using a bootstrap file.

    > Which library?

    one of my own - not a standard one.

    The work was not done by me originally, so I'm not familiar with the
    process, but as far as I can tell it uses a '.xs' file which gets converted
    into C code and thence into a .so

    Andy Fish, Feb 14, 2006
  4. Donald King Guest

    Andy Fish wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>I have an application built using perl 5.6 on AIX 4.3 which calls an
    >>>external library (i.e. a ".so" file) using a bootstrap file.

    >>Which library?
    >>

    > one of my own - not a standard one.
    >
    > The work was not done by me originally, so I'm not familiar with the
    > process, but as far as I can tell it uses a '.xs' file which gets converted
    > into C code and thence into a .so

    Did you recompile the .so from the .xs source? If memory serves, AIX
    tends to be one of the twitchier Unices when it comes to shared objects,
    and I wouldn't be surprised if the details of shared objects changed
    between AIX 4.3 and 5.3. Even if that's not the case, then it's still
    fairly unlikely that the .so doesn't touch any of the many differences
    between Perl 5.6.x and 5.8.x. The ABIs change a lot between major Perl
    releases, and most XS modules break until they're recompiled.

    --
    Donald King, a.k.a. Chronos Tachyon
    http://chronos-tachyon.net/

    Donald King, Feb 14, 2006
  5. Donald King Guest

    Donald King wrote:
    [Snip]

    > Did you recompile the .so from the .xs source? If memory serves, AIX
    > tends to be one of the twitchier Unices when it comes to shared objects,
    > and I wouldn't be surprised if the details of shared objects changed
    > between AIX 4.3 and 5.3. Even if that's not the case, then it's still
    > fairly unlikely that the .so doesn't touch any of the many differences
    > between Perl 5.6.x and 5.8.x. The ABIs change a lot between major Perl
    > releases, and most XS modules break until they're recompiled.

    Re-reading your original post, I see you noted that you don't have a C
    compiler installed. My gut instinct tells me that, unless you can
    wrangle up a copy of GCC that targets your architecture, you're not
    going to have much luck. IBM seems to have one available for AIX 5.3 on
    their "AIX Toolbox" page (below).

    Good luck.

    <http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html>

    Donald King, Feb 14, 2006
  6. Andy Fish Guest

    "Donald King" <> wrote in message
    > Donald King wrote:
    > [Snip]
    >>
    >> Did you recompile the .so from the .xs source? If memory serves, AIX
    >> tends to be one of the twitchier Unices when it comes to shared objects,
    >> and I wouldn't be surprised if the details of shared objects changed
    >> between AIX 4.3 and 5.3. Even if that's not the case, then it's still
    >> fairly unlikely that the .so doesn't touch any of the many differences
    >> between Perl 5.6.x and 5.8.x. The ABIs change a lot between major Perl
    >> releases, and most XS modules break until they're recompiled.
    >>

    > Re-reading your original post, I see you noted that you don't have a C
    > compiler installed. My gut instinct tells me that, unless you can wrangle
    > up a copy of GCC that targets your architecture, you're not going to have
    > much luck. IBM seems to have one available for AIX 5.3 on their "AIX
    > Toolbox" page (below).

    Thanks for the advice Donald.

    I have also recently found something in the perl release notes about XS
    binary compatibility being broken in 5.8 so it looks like I need to rebuild.
    Hopefully we have a copy of the AIX C compiler somewhere - if not, I will
    try gcc.

    Andy

    Andy Fish, Feb 15, 2006
  7. Andy Fish Guest

    FYI I just recompiled everything and it all works fine :-

    only change from my previous envorinoment was that I had to use cc_r instead
    of xlc

    Andy

    Andy Fish, Feb 21, 2006