    I would like to use this functionality within CGI without having to go using
    Java. Thanks!

    Kevin

    kbass, Oct 12, 2003

  2. kbass () wrote:
    : Is there a module within Perl that has the equivalent functionality of a
    : JavaBean?
    : I would like to use this functionality within CGI without having to go using
    : Java. Thanks!

    That depends on what you mean by "equivalent functionality". What are
    youy trying to accomplish?

    Malcolm Dew-Jones, Oct 12, 2003

  3. kbass

    kbass Guest

    "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <> wrote in message
    > kbass () wrote:
    > : Is there a module within Perl that has the equivalent functionality of a
    > : JavaBean?
    > : I would like to use this functionality within CGI without having to go

    using
    > : Java. Thanks!
    >
    > That depends on what you mean by "equivalent functionality". What are
    > youy trying to accomplish?

    I am attempting to create a module that would allow me to encapsulate
    functionality such as retrieving, updating, inserting and deleting data from
    a database table. Before creating this module, I wanted to see if there was
    a current module that handled this type of functionality or had some of this
    functionality so that I would not have to reinvent the wheel. I could
    perform this tasks using a JavaBean with JSP but I was hoping to use Perl
    instead.

    Kevin

    kbass, Oct 13, 2003
  4. kbass

    David Oswald Guest

    Did you even look at CPAN or the Perl core modules? Good grief. You just
    described practically what Perl does best. See the O'Rielly book,
    "Programming the Perl DBI."

    David Oswald, Oct 13, 2003
  5. kbass

    Tintin Guest

    "kbass" <> wrote in message

    > "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > kbass () wrote:
    > > : Is there a module within Perl that has the equivalent functionality of

    > > : JavaBean?
    > > : I would like to use this functionality within CGI without having to go

    > using
    > > : Java. Thanks!
    > >
    > > That depends on what you mean by "equivalent functionality". What are
    > > youy trying to accomplish?

    > I am attempting to create a module that would allow me to encapsulate
    > functionality such as retrieving, updating, inserting and deleting data

    from
    > a database table. Before creating this module, I wanted to see if there

    was
    > a current module that handled this type of functionality or had some of

    this
    > functionality so that I would not have to reinvent the wheel. I could
    > perform this tasks using a JavaBean with JSP but I was hoping to use Perl
    > instead.

    It's spelt DBI in Perl.

    Tintin, Oct 14, 2003
  6. kbass

    Juha Laiho Guest

    "Tintin" <> said:
    >"kbass" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Malcolm Dew-Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> > kbass () wrote:
    >> > : Is there a module within Perl that has the equivalent
    >> > : functionality of a JavaBean?
    >> >
    >> > That depends on what you mean by "equivalent functionality". What
    >> > are youy trying to accomplish?

    >> I am attempting to create a module that would allow me to encapsulate
    >> functionality such as retrieving, updating, inserting and deleting
    >> data from a database table.

    >It's spelt DBI in Perl.

    No, the DBI equivalent in Java would more or less be JDBC.

    Bean is a form of class that in its most simplistic form just has a few
    instance variables, and accessor methods for them. So, what is called
    here is a class that would have accessor methods for set of attributes,
    and would use database as the persistence layer for that data.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

    Juha Laiho, Oct 14, 2003