    still have the Perl and CGI examples from Castro's first book??

    I've emailed Castro, but have not received a response, as of yet.

    Kristoff

    Kristoff, Oct 9, 2003

  2. > I'm learning Perl and CGI with the book Visual Quickstart Guide by
    > Elizabeth Castro. The problem is that I have the first edition book,
    > while Castro only has Perl and CGI example files for her second edition
    > book (available from her web site). Does anybody out there happen to
    > still have the Perl and CGI examples from Castro's first book??
    >
    > I've emailed Castro, but have not received a response, as of yet.

    While that book is OK for the most basic elements it doesn't mention
    my, cgi.pm or strict, or warnings or slurping or ...........
    and can get you off on the wrong track if you're not careful.

    Julia deSilva, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Kristoff

    Kristoff Guest

    Julia,

    Which book would you recommend for a Perl newbie? I'll heed your advice
    on the elements that Castro's book neglects to mention.

    Kristoff, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Kristoff

    Dave Cross Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:52:26 -0700, Kristoff wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm learning Perl and CGI with the book Visual Quickstart Guide by
    > Elizabeth Castro. The problem is that I have the first edition book,
    > while Castro only has Perl and CGI example files for her second edition
    > book (available from her web site). Does anybody out there happen to
    > still have the Perl and CGI examples from Castro's first book??
    >
    > I've emailed Castro, but have not received a response, as of yet.

    Actually the examples from the first edition are still available on the
    web site. Go to <http://www.cookwood.com/perl/examples/perlexamples.html>
    and look at the links in the final paragraph.

    Julia has already warned you of the problems with that book. You'll find
    that the 2nd edition has fixed most of these problems.

    The Perl community's recommendations for Perl books (including beginners'
    tutorials) are in the Perl FAQ. Try typing "perldoc -q books" at your
    command line.

    Dave...

    --
    Love is a fire of flaming brandy