    inserting data, I would expect perl would be fairly fast. Any comments
    on that ?

    , Apr 20, 2005

  2. J. Gleixner Guest

    wrote:
    > We have a wrapper language for C someone wrote which basicaly
    > reads files and operates on the fields. It formats the fields, adding
    > commas, removing spaces,checking for valid values and many similar
    > types of operations.
    > I am wondering if perl would run nearly as fast as such a thing, and
    > suspect it would. If the kind of processing you are doing could be done
    > in a 100 lines or so of perl code and the overall issue is how fast the
    > I/O is and moving one field to another, some pattern matching,
    > inserting data, I would expect perl would be fairly fast. Any comments
    > on that ?

    Well, why not try it and see? How would anyone be able to say yes or no
    to "nearly as fast" or have any idea what your "wrapper language for C"
    does or how well it does it? The only way you're going to answer it is
    to benchmark it yourself, or hire someone. Also, the number of lines of
    code has no relevance. It sounds like something perl would be able to
    handle rather easily, however you're asking a question that only you can
    answer.

    J. Gleixner, Apr 20, 2005