    on serial comms....
    thanks..

    , Sep 23, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > hi
    > my friend is tasked to do a project which involves serial
    > communications between a PC and a microprocessor that records
    > temperatures. The GUI is supposed to show
    > what's the temperature that the microprocessor captured to the user. I
    > checked out Win32::SerialPort and Win32::CommPort but just would like
    > to ask if anyone actually wrote serial comms software using just Perl
    > before? Where can i get more info or guides or real live examples on
    > how to use them? How does it perform against languages like VB or VC++
    > on serial comms....
    > thanks..

    I have written a Perl/Tk program to communicate with a smart card reader
    using the iso7816 protocol. I used Win32::SerialPort and it worked OK
    for me. I was even able to do cross-development by providing a minimal
    "Win32::SerialPort" module for Linux.
    Why make your life harder than it already is?

    --
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    -- T. Pratchett

    Josef Moellers, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Bob Walton Guest

    wrote:

    > my friend is tasked to do a project which involves serial
    > communications between a PC and a microprocessor that records
    > temperatures. The GUI is supposed to show
    > what's the temperature that the microprocessor captured to the user. I
    > checked out Win32::SerialPort and Win32::CommPort but just would like
    > to ask if anyone actually wrote serial comms software using just Perl
    > before? Where can i get more info or guides or real live examples on
    > how to use them? How does it perform against languages like VB or VC++
    > on serial comms....

    Win32::SerialPort works very well for me. If you have an
    application that just reads a serial port and you're using
    Windoze NT (and possibly other early versions of Windoze), you
    could just redirect the COMx: port to your Perl script and read()
    it from standard input, or use open() to open it for read(). But
    that doesn't work in XP, so you have to use Win32::SerialPort or
    equivalent (if there are any equivalents). I don't know about
    performance -- that isn't an issue in the setups I've used.

    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Sep 24, 2005