Perl for serial comms

eight02645999

hi
my friend is tasked to do a project which involves serial
communications between a PC and a microprocessor that records
temperatures. The GUI is supposed to show
what's the temperature that the microprocessor captured to the user. I
checked out Win32::SerialPort and Win32::CommPort but just would like
to ask if anyone actually wrote serial comms software using just Perl
before? Where can i get more info or guides or real live examples on
how to use them? How does it perform against languages like VB or VC++
on serial comms....
thanks..

Josef Moellers

hi
my friend is tasked to do a project which involves serial
communications between a PC and a microprocessor that records
temperatures. The GUI is supposed to show
what's the temperature that the microprocessor captured to the user. I
checked out Win32::SerialPort and Win32::CommPort but just would like
to ask if anyone actually wrote serial comms software using just Perl
before? Where can i get more info or guides or real live examples on
how to use them? How does it perform against languages like VB or VC++
on serial comms....
thanks..

I have written a Perl/Tk program to communicate with a smart card reader
using the iso7816 protocol. I used Win32::SerialPort and it worked OK
for me. I was even able to do cross-development by providing a minimal
"Win32::SerialPort" module for Linux.
Why make your life harder than it already is?

Bob Walton

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

my friend is tasked to do a project which involves serial
communications between a PC and a microprocessor that records
temperatures. The GUI is supposed to show
what's the temperature that the microprocessor captured to the user. I
checked out Win32::SerialPort and Win32::CommPort but just would like
to ask if anyone actually wrote serial comms software using just Perl
before? Where can i get more info or guides or real live examples on
how to use them? How does it perform against languages like VB or VC++
on serial comms....

Win32::SerialPort works very well for me. If you have an
application that just reads a serial port and you're using
Windoze NT (and possibly other early versions of Windoze), you
could just redirect the COMx: port to your Perl script and read()
it from standard input, or use open() to open it for read(). But
that doesn't work in XP, so you have to use Win32::SerialPort or
equivalent (if there are any equivalents). I don't know about
performance -- that isn't an issue in the setups I've used.