Perl free e-books

John Bokma

top-posting on Usenet is like farting at the dinner table.

When you farted at our dinner table, we asked you to not do that.

The farting noise drowned out what we said I guess :-D.

solomonrex

Shuo said:
Excuse me, I didn't follow the meaning of STOP TOP POSTING! Just got it.
Please calme down! I have got what I want thru your help. Why you said I
didn't listen to the answers, I really did! Only quite understand your
explaination! And I just repeatedly told that PDF would be perfect, if it is
not but could be printed out, it is OK for me.
So please try to understand the concern of asker from the asker point of
view.

PDF beginner's book here. Just to be clear, unless you have experience
with regular expressions in Linux/Unix already, Perl isn't great to
start with (can you understand
s/\(^[0-9]*\).*/\1
?). If you have that experience, Perl is great to start with.

http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/

And I don't understand the top-posting Nazis. This isn't a dinner
table, it's a street corner and Google owns it. Be a little clearer
than using specialized technical jargon like "top-posting" with an
international crowd. If you really are annoyed by format that much,
you should want to communicate your message more effectively.

People who need help aren't likely to be fluent in message board
language and etiquette, are they?

Uri Guttman

s> PDF beginner's book here. Just to be clear, unless you have experience
s> with regular expressions in Linux/Unix already, Perl isn't great to
s> start with (can you understand
s> s/\(^[0-9]*\).*/\1
s> ?). If you have that experience, Perl is great to start with.

s> http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/

that has been mentioned several times in this thread.

s> And I don't understand the top-posting Nazis. This isn't a dinner
s> table, it's a street corner and Google owns it. Be a little clearer
s> than using specialized technical jargon like "top-posting" with an
s> international crowd. If you really are annoyed by format that much,
s> you should want to communicate your message more effectively.

we referred him to the posting guidelines which explains it all clearly.

uri

John Bokma

solomonrex said:
And I don't understand the top-posting Nazis.

Good old Godwin
This isn't a dinner
table, it's a street corner and Google owns it.

Nice mistake:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Be a little clearer
than using specialized technical jargon like "top-posting" with an
international crowd.

This is a technical newsgroup now isn't it? A "programmer" who is not able
to look up top posting in the Wikipedia or Google for example shouldn't be
programming IMO.
People who need help aren't likely to be fluent in message board
language and etiquette, are they?

Then they should start with learning that first instead of learning Perl.
If one visits a different country one should learn at least the basic
customs of that country.

Jürgen Exner

solomonrex said:
table, it's a street corner and Google owns it. Be a little clearer

Where did you get that idea? Usenet has nothing to do with Google and it
predates Google by roughly 2 decades.
than using specialized technical jargon like "top-posting" with an
international crowd.

Top posting is a very common and well understood term for 2 decades.
People who need help aren't likely to be fluent in message board
language and etiquette, are they?

That's why common sense as well as established nettiquette strongly suggests
that you just read for 2 or 3 weeks before actively participating. Or do you
also go to the opera with the expectation that social rules and behavioural
standards would be the same as in your familiar hard rock cafe?

jue

John Bokma

Jürgen Exner said:
participating. Or do you also go to the opera with the expectation
that social rules and behavioural standards would be the same as in
your familiar hard rock cafe?

What!? We can't throw beer around [1] at the opera?

My experience with one hard rock cafe is that the crowd there would
probably cause no problem at all at the opera. The local disco visitors on
the other had...

RedGrittyBrick

solomonrex said:
This isn't a dinner table, it's a street corner and Google owns it.

No. Newsgroups existed healthily for more than two decades before Google
Groups came into being.

Newsgroups started with Usenet sometime around 1979. Google was founded
19 years later in 1998.

Google Groups was started in 2000 with the acquisition of the DejaNews
archive - a web accessible indexed archive of newsgroup postings.

If you check the headers you'll also see that many people do not today
use Google to read and write to this newsgroup, they use one of many
NNTP clients.

axel

solomonrex said:
PDF beginner's book here. Just to be clear, unless you have experience
with regular expressions in Linux/Unix already, Perl isn't great to
start with (can you understand
s/\(^[0-9]*\).*/\1
?). If you have that experience, Perl is great to start with.

How many people who use Perl had experience of using ex/vi regular
expressions before they started Perl?
And I don't understand the top-posting Nazis. This isn't a dinner
table, it's a street corner and Google owns it.

Google does not own or administer Usenet, but is just one of thousands
of news servers in the world.

Axel

Joe Smith

John said:
And I am, sadly, moved by your ignorance.

Don't top post
Don't reply using HTML

He's not posting using HTML.

As you can see, it is text/plain (not text/html), with a Chinese codepage.
(Granted, it is multi-part/MIME, but definitely not HTML.)

Uri said:
and usenet is a PLAIN TEXT only medium. no one cares about your
formatting requests. html IS NOT ACCEPTED.

It's not HTML. It's text/plain in the default setting for Chinese.

You misinterpreted the slightly flawed English.
Shuo Shi said, (paraphrasing), "Oh, I see, I need to simply tell Outlook Express
to use Time New Roman in order to produce a posting that is not offensive."

-Joe

Jürgen Exner

Jim said:
Google runs HTTP servers. I don't know of any NNTP/News servers
at Google. They hook up to NNTP/News servers and archive the
content, placing it all into an HTML format. It's not a News server.
The Google that most folks know about is an HTTP server.

They do administer the USENET content on their servers, as seen
by the ads displayed when visiting http://groups.google.com. They
also own the USENET content on their servers. They can delete
it at any time, edit it the way they like and disconnect the servers
as they wish. If that's not ownership... I'll let someone else argue
it.

I run a mailbox at the top of my driveway. I put stuff in my mailbox and I
allow other people so send mail to that mailbox. I can lock it, I can empty
it, and I can paint it any way I like. I can even remove it as I wish. If
that is not ownership [of the United States Postal Service] ... I'll let
someone else argue it.

jue

John Bokma

Joe Smith said:
He's not posting using HTML.

I see this:

"------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C735BB.A910B770
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=gb2312">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman">John,It is very nice of you! I am moving
by
your kindness. However, I tried to look through the material from your
below
"

Peter J. Holzer

: How many people who use Perl had experience of using ex/vi
: regular expressions before they started Perl?

My answer... none that I know of. :)

Now you do :).

I guess just about everyone who used Unix text tools (vi, grep, sed,
....) before perl knew about regular expressions.
I toyed with vi at one time
but the DOS edit.com and edlin.com worked well enough for me ^^^^^^^^^
Outch.
at the time.

: Google does not own or administer Usenet, but is just one of thousands
: of news servers in the world.

Google runs HTTP servers. I don't know of any NNTP/News servers
at Google.

The probably aren't public, but I have no doubt they exist.
They hook up to NNTP/News servers and archive the
content,

Right. And the most efficient way of "hooking up" is to run a news
server, which exchanges articles with its neighbours using NNTP. Using
NNRP (the subset of NNTP used by user agents) would be horribly
inefficient for the volume of news Google processes.

hp

Tad McClellan

And I don't understand the top-posting Nazis.

Top-posting is seen as socially unacceptable on Usenet.

If you understand why, then it is still socially unacceptable.

If you do not understand why, then it is still socially unacceptable.

The point is not whether or not disdain for top-posting is a good idea
or not. The point is *people here do not like it*.

You can try to change the way that everyone has done it for decades,
or you can comply (or not, and be ostracized). Your choice.

This isn't a dinner
table, it's a street corner and Google owns it.

Pardon me, but your ignorance is showing.

Usenet was here for *years* before Google was even founded.

Google does not own Usenet in any way. Never has.

Be a little clearer
than using specialized technical jargon like "top-posting" with an
international crowd.

You demean people when you suggest that they cannot type "top-posting"
into the little box at www.google.com.

People who need help aren't likely to be fluent in message board

This is Usenet, not a "message board".

language and etiquette, are they?

People who want to participate in Usenet need to become acquainted
with the expected netiquette.

John W. Kennedy

John said:
I see this:

"------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C735BB.A910B770
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=gb2312">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face="Times New Roman">John,It is very nice of you! I am moving
by
your kindness. However, I tried to look through the material from your
below
"

That was on January 11th. He stopped using HTML as of the 12th.

John Bokma

John W. Kennedy said:
That was on January 11th. He stopped using HTML as of the 12th.

Yup, I wrote
"Don't reply using HTML" to a post with HTML to which Joe replied "He's
not posting using HTML." Shuo was in the message I replied to with that
request (I think it was the 3rd time), but probably stopped after that. So
I guess Joe was trying to sasy: "He's not posting using HTML any longer."
No idea.

Tad McClellan

I appreciate most of Google services and I find them
either interesting or useful or even precious, but the impact of
Google Groups on USENET is IMNSHO awful instead...

<aol>
Me too!

</aol>

But they must have gone to rehab, because I moved the scoring
back to only -1000 some time ago.