Perl / GTK db frontend

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Spam Bait, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Spam Bait

    Spam Bait Guest

    Hi all.

    I'm learning Perl, and I would like to get into GUI building with Perl
    GTK. I'm a database admin, so I'll also be using DBI to access MySQL +
    SQL Server.

    I've had a look at using Glade and using glade2perl ( or something like
    that ) to convert the Glade xml files into Perl GTK thingies, but
    obviously this process is one-way only ... I can't make changes to the
    Perl GTK app and then go back and change the GUI via Glade. And this is
    before I even get started on bringing the database stuff into the equation.

    Are there any IDEs which will do what I'm after ( commercial or not )?

    Also, I assume that I'll have to write functions to handle accessing the
    database, and looping through all the fields on a form ( or window or
    whatever ) and handling updates etc. Or has this already been done?

    Thanks in advance!

    Dan

    Spam Bait, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Hello

    I m using Perl-TK and thats a good solution because its very independent.
    Its running on LINUX,SUN,WINDOWS and....

    Greetings Andy

    Pfister Andreas, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Dan,

    I've looked into using The GUI Loft for creating GUI interfaces on
    Windows. ( http://www.bahnhof.se/~johanl/perl/Loft/ )

    I don't know if your using Win or *nix.

    Hope that helps some,
    Jeremy Fluhmann