perl hey perl why oo but not functinal?

Rainer Weikusat

johannes falcone said:

The extremly simple answer is that the set of people who can write
useful/ working code is far larger than the set of people who can't
except when using a 'fat' emulation layer supposed to shield them from
real-world concepts such as complex objects whose state changes over
time which don't exist in 'mathetics'.

Unfortunately, the same people who spend their days preaching that
'statefulness' is inherently evil will won't mind eating dinners
cooked by someone else instead of demonstrating the supriority of
their theories by ... starving themselves to death.

Rainer Weikusat

Rainer Weikusat said:
The extremly simple answer is that the set of people who can write
useful/ working code is far larger than the set of people who can't
except when using a 'fat' emulation layer supposed to shield them from
real-world concepts such as complex objects whose state changes over
time

Since this is sort-of an important topic: In the past, I used to know
a guy who - according to his e-mail address - worked for a German
university in some 'auxiliary teaching' role who liked to boast on
USENET that putting undergraduates through a course in functional
programming meant that people who already learnt to program in some
imperative language had an extremely hard time getting past that (I'm
not going to post his name here since it doesn't matter). He was
actually halfway convinced that no one could possibly be capable of
learning both.

In an ideal universe, the purpose of 'higher education' would be to
enable people to exploit their potentials, not to get rid of unwelcome
competitors for relatively well-paid and comfortable positions ...