perl hey perl why oo but not functinal?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by johannes falcone, Jun 1, 2013.

  1. wondring
    johannes falcone, Jun 1, 2013

  2. johannes falcone <> writes:
    > wondring

    The extremly simple answer is that the set of people who can write
    useful/ working code is far larger than the set of people who can't
    except when using a 'fat' emulation layer supposed to shield them from
    real-world concepts such as complex objects whose state changes over
    time which don't exist in 'mathetics'.

    Unfortunately, the same people who spend their days preaching that
    'statefulness' is inherently evil will won't mind eating dinners
    cooked by someone else instead of demonstrating the supriority of
    their theories by ... starving themselves to death.
    Rainer Weikusat, Jun 2, 2013

  3. Rainer Weikusat <> writes:
    > johannes falcone <> writes:
    >> wondring

    > The extremly simple answer is that the set of people who can write
    > useful/ working code is far larger than the set of people who can't
    > except when using a 'fat' emulation layer supposed to shield them from
    > real-world concepts such as complex objects whose state changes over
    > time

    Since this is sort-of an important topic: In the past, I used to know
    a guy who - according to his e-mail address - worked for a German
    university in some 'auxiliary teaching' role who liked to boast on
    USENET that putting undergraduates through a course in functional
    programming meant that people who already learnt to program in some
    imperative language had an extremely hard time getting past that (I'm
    not going to post his name here since it doesn't matter). He was
    actually halfway convinced that no one could possibly be capable of
    learning both.

    In an ideal universe, the purpose of 'higher education' would be to
    enable people to exploit their potentials, not to get rid of unwelcome
    competitors for relatively well-paid and comfortable positions ...
    Rainer Weikusat, Jun 2, 2013

  4. > their theories by ... starving themselves to death.

    I don't get it.
    johannes falcone, Jun 4, 2013

  5. > competitors for relatively well-paid and comfortable positions ...

    so what? functional programming is bs?
    johannes falcone, Jun 4, 2013