    As I Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    Can you suggest which one to buy

    George Kinley, Apr 28, 2004

  2. George Kinley

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:01:09 GMT, "George Kinley"
    <> wrote:

    >Our Company is planning to buy some IDE for Perl, for Windows 2K
    >As I Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    >Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    >Can you suggest which one to buy

    Perlbuilder from http://solutionsoft.com/perl.htm
    is very good. I have used it for years. I have not
    tried any of the others.

    A lot of people swear by emacs or gvim.

    --
    Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

    Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
    To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
    that your chances of being involved are negligible!

    Helgi Briem, Apr 28, 2004

  3. In article <pWNjc.15189$>, "George Kinley"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Our Company is planning to buy some IDE for Perl, for Windows 2K As I
    > Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    > Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    > Can you suggest which one to buy

    There's a top notch IDE for Perl and it's totally free ... it's called
    GNU/Linux. Not sure if it runs on Win2K though ...

    Richard Gration, Apr 28, 2004
  4. George Kinley

    John Bokma Guest

    Richard Gration wrote:

    > In article <pWNjc.15189$>, "George Kinley"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>Our Company is planning to buy some IDE for Perl, for Windows 2K As I
    >>Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    >>Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    >>Can you suggest which one to buy

    > There's a top notch IDE for Perl and it's totally free ... it's called
    > GNU/Linux. Not sure if it runs on Win2K though ...

    Sure it does, it's called Cygwin :-D. Some rumours have it that
    ActiveState Perl for Win32 with TextPad (not free) and some Win32 GNU
    tools also come close ;-)

    --
    John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
    personal page: http://johnbokma.com/

    John Bokma, Apr 28, 2004
  5. George Kinley

    Bernard R Guest

    "George Kinley" <> wrote in news:pWNjc.15189
    $:

    > Hi,
    > Our Company is planning to buy some IDE for Perl, for Windows 2K
    > As I Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    > Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    > Can you suggest which one to buy

    Why don't you try the trial versions. Both Komodo and Optiperl have time
    limited trials.

    Bernard R, Apr 28, 2004
  6. George Kinley

    Bernard R Guest

    "Richard Gration" <> wrote in news:c6og80$cud$1
    @news.freedom2surf.net:

    > In article <pWNjc.15189$>, "George Kinley"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >> Our Company is planning to buy some IDE for Perl, for Windows 2K As I
    >> Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    >> Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    >> Can you suggest which one to buy
    >>

    > There's a top notch IDE for Perl and it's totally free ... it's called
    > GNU/Linux. Not sure if it runs on Win2K though ...

    I use Emacs on linux and Xemacs on win32 for coding perl. Both take a while
    to learn but are well worth the time invested (like perl ^_^ )

    I tried optiperl and its quite good but happy enough with *macs.

    Bernard R, Apr 28, 2004
  7. George Kinley

    Robin Guest

    "Helgi Briem" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:01:09 GMT, "George Kinley"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Our Company is planning to buy some IDE for Perl, for Windows 2K
    > >As I Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    > >Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    > >Can you suggest which one to buy

    > Perlbuilder from http://solutionsoft.com/perl.htm
    > is very good. I have used it for years. I have not
    > tried any of the others.

    what version of perl are you running and from what source did you get it
    from, and what version of perl builder?

    That program crashed my perl build.

    -Robin

    Robin, Apr 28, 2004
  8. George Kinley

    Robin Guest

    "Richard Gration" <> wrote in message
    > In article <pWNjc.15189$>, "George Kinley"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,
    > > Our Company is planning to buy some IDE for Perl, for Windows 2K As I
    > > Searched through Internet, I found quite many of them like Komodo ,
    > > Optiperl, PerlIde(free), etc
    > > Can you suggest which one to buy
    > >

    > There's a top notch IDE for Perl and it's totally free ... it's called
    > GNU/Linux. Not sure if it runs on Win2K though ...

    Yeah, Linux actually runs on Windowns with Cygwin or Cooperative Linux.
    -Robin

    Robin, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Robin wrote:

    > That program crashed my perl build.

    Please don't spread FUD. This crashed your Perl, that crashed your Perl, the
    other crashed your Perl... Have you ever stopped to consider that what is
    crashing your Perl is sitting between the keyboard and chair?

    Seriously, what seems more likely to you: That thousands of other people are
    having the same problems but keeping quiet about it, that thousands of
    other people are using some sort of secret undocumented voodoo to make
    these buggy products work, or that you're doing something wrong?

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 28, 2004
  10. Robin wrote:

    > Linux actually runs on Windowns with Cygwin

    Please stop parroting posts you don't understand.

    Cygwin is *not* "Linux on Windows". It's a package of various user-land GNU
    tools - bash, gcc, sed, perl, etc. The tools are built to run natively
    under Windows, and the package does not include the Linux kernel in any
    form whatsoever.

    > or Cooperative Linux.

    Ain't soup yet.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 28, 2004
  11. George Kinley

    Robin Guest

    "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    > Robin wrote:
    >
    > > Linux actually runs on Windowns with Cygwin

    > Please stop parroting posts you don't understand.
    >
    > Cygwin is *not* "Linux on Windows". It's a package of various user-land

    GNU
    > tools - bash, gcc, sed, perl, etc. The tools are built to run natively
    > under Windows, and the package does not include the Linux kernel in any
    > form whatsoever.

    cool, that's even better. Sorry for the misinformation.

    > > or Cooperative Linux.

    > Ain't soup yet.

    nope. It kinda sucks. Richard, i wouldn't recommend Co-Linux btw.

    -Robin

    Robin, Apr 29, 2004
  12. George Kinley

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:05:15 -0800, "Robin" <robin @ infusedlight.net>
    wrote:

    >> Perlbuilder from http://solutionsoft.com/perl.htm
    >> is very good. I have used it for years. I have not
    >> tried any of the others.

    >what version of perl are you running and from what source did
    >you get it from, and what version of perl builder?

    I have used Perlbuilder with all versions of Perl from 5.005. I am
    currently running Perl 5.83, Activeperl build 809.

    >That program crashed my perl build.

    I find that very hard to believe. Perlbuilder doesn't
    touch your Perl installation at all.

    Helgi Briem, Apr 29, 2004
  13. George Kinley

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:46:12 -0800, "Robin" <robin @ infusedlight.net>
    wrote:
    >> > or Cooperative Linux.

    >> Ain't soup yet.

    >nope. It kinda sucks. Richard, i wouldn't recommend Co-Linux btw.

    I don't think I would take your recommendations for or
    against anything, Robin. Sorry about that.

    Helgi Briem, Apr 29, 2004
  14. In article <c6pgg8$p76$>, "Robin" <robin @
    infusedlight.net> wrote:

    > "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    >> Robin wrote:
    >> > or Cooperative Linux.

    >> Ain't soup yet.

    > nope. It kinda sucks. Richard, i wouldn't recommend Co-Linux btw.
    > -Robin

    Well, never send a boy to do a man's job. I use Linux for development and
    Winders for playing games.

    Richard Gration, Apr 29, 2004