Perl/IIS Permission Problem

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Shane Freeman, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. I am having a horrible time getting the permissions set correctly
    using ActivePerl and IIS 5.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    I currently have a site set up that has a test.cgi and a test.pl file
    in the root directly. Both of them work just fine. This root
    directory is accessible by anonymous internet acccount.

    Inside of the root directory I have a CMS folder that contains the
    same test.cgi and test.pl files. I have removed the anonymous user
    account from having permission to the CMS and all sub-folders and
    added another user that requires a login. When I browse to either of
    these two files it prompts me for a userID and password (working
    correctly). When I try and run test.pl it work correctly. When I try
    to run test.cgi I receive the following error.
    ---
    CGI Error
    The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete
    set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

    Can't open perl script "c:\websites\www.mysite.com\cms\test.cgi":
    Permission denied
    ---
    Can anybody shed any light on this problem?

    Thanks in advance,
    Shane

    Shane Freeman, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Shane Freeman

    Helgi Briem Guest

    On 9 Sep 2003 14:46:29 -0700, (Shane
    Freeman) wrote:

    >I am having a horrible time getting the permissions set correctly
    >using ActivePerl and IIS 5.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Your Question is Frequently Asked. Answers to Freqently
    Asked Questions are to be found in the perlFAQ documentation
    that comes bundled with every distribution of Perl. It can
    be browsed and searched using the perldoc program that
    also comes with every distribution of Perl. The command
    perldoc perldoc for more info. The Activeperl distro also
    comes with the docs in HTML format in C:\Perl\html\index.html

    perldoc -q 500
    "My CGI script runs from the command line but not the browser.
    (500 Server Error)

    >Can't open perl script "c:\websites\www.mysite.com\cms\test.cgi":
    >Permission denied

    >Can anybody shed any light on this problem?

    The most likely reason is that the IIS webserver runs
    as an anonymous user with less rights than a normal
    user such as yourself. This is good. You have to
    explicitly permit this user (used to be called IUSR_servername)
    to read and execute the CGI program.

    Further, this question is off-topic in this newsgroup
    and should be addressed to a group about web server
    configuration or CGI such as:

    comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

    Helgi Briem, Sep 10, 2003