    JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)

    Help me out folks, I'm new at this..

    -jac
    Alex, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Alex

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote:

    >I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
    >to me that they both totally different things.
    >
    >PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
    >write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
    >
    >JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)

    Client-side stuff. AJAX fits that description, so does
    enabling/disabling parts of a form depending on what's been selected
    or deselected, hiding/showing bits of text.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    Tim Slattery, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Alex

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
    > to me that they both totally different things.
    >
    > PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
    > write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
    >
    > JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)
    >
    > Help me out folks, I'm new at this..

    JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms - (and
    ajax).
    perl is superb at short simple server-side programs. perl runs at the
    server.
    Both can write html.
    Perl can write html AND javascript.
    Hal Rosser, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Hal Rosser wrote:

    > "Alex" [...] wrote [...]:
    >> I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
    >> to me that they both totally different things.
    >>
    >> PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
    >> write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
    >>
    >> JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)
    >>
    >> Help me out folks, I'm new at this..

    > JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms - (and
    > ajax).

    J(ava)Script is also good for server-side applications.

    > perl is superb at short simple server-side programs. perl runs at the
    > server.

    Perl runs at the client, too.

    > Both can write html.
    > Perl can write html AND javascript.

    J(ava)Script can write Perl, too. So what?

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Alex

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > > JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms - (and
    > > ajax).

    > J(ava)Script is also good for server-side applications.

    ***** Not really - you hardly ever see it done - most would choose vbscript
    for ASP

    ****** But not usually (in the context of web programming)

    **** But not normally done

    >So what?

    ****Yeah - so what ??
    Why don't you try helping the OP rather than trying to dump on those who
    are.
    I was giving the OP an overview of how Perl and JavaScript are *normally*
    related as it applies to web programming.
    So let's see some CONSTRUCTIVE post from YOU aimed at helping the OP, rather
    than being so vicious.
    Goodness, girl, don't you have any upbringing at all ?

    Hal Rosser, Apr 7, 2006
  6. Hal Rosser wrote:

    >> > JavaScript is good for client-side programs like validating forms -
    >> > (and ajax).

    >> J(ava)Script is also good for server-side applications.

    > ***** Not really

    Yes, it is.

    > - you hardly ever see it done -

    Because /you/ hardly ever see it done does not mean it is that way.

    > most would choose vbscript for ASP

    That is their (incompetent) choice, not a necessity at all.

    > [flame]

    You have a lot to learn, young apprentice.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 8, 2006
  7. Alex

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > > [flame]
    >
    > You have a lot to learn, young apprentice.
    >

    > PointedEars

    Yes, I do....but ---- never mind - its you
    :)
    Hal Rosser, Apr 8, 2006
  8. Alex

    Guest

    Perl is the best server side workhorse for making money on the
    Internet. You use JavaScript to get the form information to the Perl
    program and the Perl Program processes the information using the server
    at the ISP if the ISP allows this. Perl will file information, sort
    and search files, and return the information to the user in html or
    email the information to whomever. Perl is the ultimate text
    processing language. Its regular expression capabilities and speed are
    unmatched. The Perl interpreter is available free and can be
    downloaded and run in a windows environment. I use Perl exclusively on
    UNIX machines such as those found at Powweb.com. It can be run on the
    windows server, but it seems to have a stronger UNIX background. The
    only deficiency that I found with Perl is that I thought you could
    search files at different ISP servers. Evidently, it will not do
    that. It is a server unique. Perl is where EBay started and where
    Amazon.com started. It is a fantastic and powerful language. And yes,
    I love Perl! I just wish I had the time to become a full fledged Perl
    Programmer. I tell every computer geek I know LEARN PERL!!! And Perl
    programs are secure. They cannot be stolen like JavaScript. But if
    you love Microsoft, learn C# the Microsoft Perl imitator.
    , Apr 8, 2006
  9. Alex

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > I love Perl! I just wish I had the time to become a full fledged Perl
    > Programmer. I tell every computer geek I know LEARN PERL!!! And Perl
    > programs are secure. They cannot be stolen like JavaScript. But if
    > you love Microsoft, learn C# the Microsoft Perl imitator.

    Amen - (except substitute java for the Microsoft stuff)
    I read somewhere that PERL is known as the "Swiss Army Chainsaw" of
    programming languages.
    Hal Rosser, Apr 8, 2006
  10. Tim Slattery wrote:

    > "Alex" <> wrote:
    >> I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
    >> to me that they both totally different things.
    >>
    >> PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
    >> write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
    >>
    >> JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)

    > Client-side stuff.

    No, for the nth time now!

    > AJAX fits that description, [...]

    "AJAX" can be server-side, too.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 8, 2006
  11. Alex

    Ian Collins Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Tim Slattery wrote:
    >

    >>"Alex" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm not exactly sure how to use these two languages together. It seems
    >>>to me that they both totally different things.
    >>>
    >>>PERL = databases, heavy processing, server functions. But I can also
    >>>write HTML with it and just call a CSS to do all the design work.
    >>>
    >>>JavaScript = ?? (I'm really not sure what to put -- AJAX??)

    >>Client-side stuff.

    > No, for the nth time now!
    >

    >>AJAX fits that description, [...]

    > "AJAX" can be server-side, too.

    Not so much can be as has to be, something has to answer all those requests!

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Apr 8, 2006