Perl LWP, logging into yahoo etc ?

surfunbear

I would like to know how hard it is or what is a good way (if
possible) to
automaticaly access yahoo mail or any of the yahoo services like yahoo
personals, froma perl script. I have done some perl LWP playing around,
read up on javascript a bit and so on. I have yahoo accounts, but I'd
like to see if I can make a perl script access the web pages that I
need to log into manually. Either the script would somehow have to log
in, or is it possible for a script to control some aspect of my web
browsing so I log in manually and then the script can take over ? This
seems like an interesting problem to solve and I'm not sure how to
approach it,how difficult it is, or if I am just missing some bit of
know how.

surfunbear

It looks like there is a cpan module for reading mail and logging into
yahoo groups. That could be usefull, but if I wanted to log into yahoo
personals and do searches on profiles, I'm not sure it could do that as
yahoo personals is not part of yahoo groups.

It would be nice if there was some automated way to access personals
so that I could design my own advanced searching for keywords, phrases
and so on as many personals have primitive search capability as far as
I'm concerned.

surfunbear

The active perl installer doesn't seem to recognize WWW::Yahoo::Groups
which is listed under cpan, too bad, it sounded interesting. I'm sure
there's a logical explanation, I'm just not that familiar with all the
complexities of perl and it seems there's an infinite amount of stuff
to learn.

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

[ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you reply ]
The active perl installer doesn't seem to recognize WWW::Yahoo::Groups
which is listed under cpan, too bad, it sounded interesting. I'm sure
there's a logical explanation, I'm just not that familiar with all the
complexities of perl and it seems there's an infinite amount of stuff
to learn.

Search the archives of this newsgroup on groups.google.com. There was a
recent thread discussing how to install WWW::Yahoo::Groups on Windows with
AS Perl. I think there is now a ppd of it.

Sinan

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
I would like to know how hard it is or what is a good way (if
possible) to
automaticaly access yahoo mail or any of the yahoo services like yahoo
personals, froma perl script.

See what Yahoo has to say about using their services:

http://developer.yahoo.net/faq/

Sinan

surfunbear

Hi,

I did manage to find an active perl package repository on the
university of winnepeg website. I
installed it and it gets the index number to the last message in
various newsgroups correctly, but when I try to download the actual
message via a fetch_message() call it gets an error saying the message
is not in the expected format. This happens consistently on various
newsgroups I tried it on.

I also was able to fine Mail::Webmail::Yahoo, but it gets an error in
the installed yahoo.pm file saying that the strin eq is uninitialized,
I looked at that line and it is the string operator eq as in:
if ($x eq "foo")

The other route is trying to figure out what the javascript does, as
there is some sort of interaction with yahoo
login that I don't understand. I've found some code other people wrote
to try to do somethinglike this, but none of the code examples I found
actually work. There is some hashing going on something like this:

<form method="post" action="https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?"
autocomplete="off" name="login_form" onsubmit="return
hash(this,'http://us.rd.yahoo.com/reg/login1/suli/login/us/ym/*http://login.yahoo.com/config/login')">

I have a javascript book, but it's at home and I won't be home for a
week or so. Why are there two URL's inside the
hash() (one ends at the "*" character) ?

I may learn some interesting stuff trying to figure this out, but I'm
not sure if I'm ever going to actually get it to work. Probably they
don't want you to be able to login.

surfunbear

I've been able to get a better idea of what is going on by installing
webscarab, a java utility that act like a proxy between IE and the
internet. So it logs all get/put and responses from yahoo. One puzzle I
don't understand is how IE encripts the password ? I tried two
different logins and it encrypted the password differntly each time,
and I did not see any obvious calls in the javascript code on the page
where that could be happening as I did a search for every place the
password field was referenced. Some other threads mention MD5
encription, but the code examples I saw had no key, and without a key I
would expect the same encryption each time.