    approach it,how difficult it is, or if I am just missing some bit of
    know how.

    , Oct 6, 2005

  2. Paul Lalli Guest

    wrote:
    > I would like to know how hard it is or what is a good way (if
    > possible) to
    > automaticaly access yahoo mail or any of the yahoo services like yahoo
    > personals, froma perl script.

    By not re-inventing existing wheels.

    http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Yahoo&mode=all

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Oct 6, 2005

    Thanks,

    I've mostly studied perl modules through the long listing, not sure
    if there is a better way as some of the list are hard to decipher.
    I guess I should do searches as WWW::Yahoo is not listed in the long
    list:

    http://www.cpan.org/modules/00modlist.long.html#ID15_WorldWideW

    Paul Lalli wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I would like to know how hard it is or what is a good way (if
    > > possible) to
    > > automaticaly access yahoo mail or any of the yahoo services like yahoo
    > > personals, froma perl script.

    > By not re-inventing existing wheels.
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Yahoo&mode=all
    >
    > Paul Lalli

    , Oct 10, 2005

    It looks like there is a cpan module for reading mail and logging into
    yahoo groups. That could be usefull, but if I wanted to log into yahoo
    personals and do searches on profiles, I'm not sure it could do that as
    yahoo personals is not part of yahoo groups.

    It would be nice if there was some automated way to access personals
    so that I could design my own advanced searching for keywords, phrases
    and so on as many personals have primitive search capability as far as
    I'm concerned.

    , Oct 10, 2005

    The active perl installer doesn't seem to recognize WWW::Yahoo::Groups
    which is listed under cpan, too bad, it sounded interesting. I'm sure
    there's a logical explanation, I'm just not that familiar with all the
    complexities of perl and it seems there's an infinite amount of stuff
    to learn.

    , Oct 10, 2005
  6. wrote in news:1128959012.942247.50890
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    [ Please quote an appropriate amount of context when you reply ]

    > The active perl installer doesn't seem to recognize WWW::Yahoo::Groups
    > which is listed under cpan, too bad, it sounded interesting. I'm sure
    > there's a logical explanation, I'm just not that familiar with all the
    > complexities of perl and it seems there's an infinite amount of stuff
    > to learn.

    Search the archives of this newsgroup on groups.google.com. There was a
    recent thread discussing how to install WWW::Yahoo::Groups on Windows with
    AS Perl. I think there is now a ppd of it.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Oct 10, 2005
  7. wrote in news:1128626361.648990.93170
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I would like to know how hard it is or what is a good way (if
    > possible) to
    > automaticaly access yahoo mail or any of the yahoo services like yahoo
    > personals, froma perl script.

    See what Yahoo has to say about using their services:

    http://developer.yahoo.net/faq/

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Oct 10, 2005

    I did manage to find an active perl package repository on the
    university of winnepeg website. I
    installed it and it gets the index number to the last message in
    various newsgroups correctly, but when I try to download the actual
    message via a fetch_message() call it gets an error saying the message
    is not in the expected format. This happens consistently on various
    newsgroups I tried it on.

    I also was able to fine Mail::Webmail::Yahoo, but it gets an error in
    the installed yahoo.pm file saying that the strin eq is uninitialized,
    I looked at that line and it is the string operator eq as in:
    if ($x eq "foo")

    The other route is trying to figure out what the javascript does, as
    there is some sort of interaction with yahoo
    login that I don't understand. I've found some code other people wrote
    to try to do somethinglike this, but none of the code examples I found
    actually work. There is some hashing going on something like this:

    <form method="post" action="https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?"
    autocomplete="off" name="login_form" onsubmit="return
    hash(this,'http://us.rd.yahoo.com/reg/login1/suli/login/us/ym/*http://login.yahoo.com/config/login')">

    I have a javascript book, but it's at home and I won't be home for a
    week or so. Why are there two URL's inside the
    hash() (one ends at the "*" character) ?

    I may learn some interesting stuff trying to figure this out, but I'm
    not sure if I'm ever going to actually get it to work. Probably they
    don't want you to be able to login.

    , Oct 10, 2005
  9. A. Sinan Unur, Oct 10, 2005

    I've been able to get a better idea of what is going on by installing
    webscarab, a java utility that act like a proxy between IE and the
    internet. So it logs all get/put and responses from yahoo. One puzzle I
    don't understand is how IE encripts the password ? I tried two
    different logins and it encrypted the password differntly each time,
    and I did not see any obvious calls in the javascript code on the page
    where that could be happening as I did a search for every place the
    password field was referenced. Some other threads mention MD5
    encription, but the code examples I saw had no key, and without a key I
    would expect the same encryption each time.

    , Oct 12, 2005