"perl -MCPAN -e shell" acts unexpectedly on MacOS X 10.3.1

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Art Werschulz, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Hi.

    I am running MacOS X 10.3.1 (Panther) on a G4 iMac. I am installing
    some Perl modules using the CPAN shell, i.e., I issue the command
    # perl -MCPAN -e shell
    and then type commands to the cpan> prompt.

    When I have done this on a Linux box, the .cpan directory is placed in
    root's home directory /root, and the manified documentation goes
    into /usr/share/man/man3. To me, this seems pretty reasonable.

    However, when I do this on the Panther box, the .cpan directory is
    placed in my personal home directory (~agw), and the manified
    documentation goes into /man/man3. I find this somewhat odd, to say
    the least.

    Note that this happens when I am logged in as root, i.e., I have done
    "su - root" or "login root" in the Terminal window where I'm working.

    Any ideas as to why this is happening? More importantly, what can I
    do to get the "more reasonable" behavior of putting .cpan in /root and
    manpages in /usr/share/man/man3?

    Thanks.

    --
    Art Werschulz ()