    I'll need to be able to do basic access, update, as well as monitor
    for common errors (and conditions/returns I'm too newbie to know of).

    Thanks,

    me, Nov 10, 2008

  2. me

    cartercc Guest

    On Nov 10, 2:31 pm, me <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for some recommended tutorials and/or guide to basic
    > access to MySQL from Perl. I'm lightly experienced in Perl, almost
    > ignorant of MySQL, and need to jumpstart. I have skills with DB access
    > and core SQL in other languages/DB's.
    >
    > I'll need to be able to do basic access, update, as well as monitor
    > for common errors (and conditions/returns I'm too newbie to know of).
    >
    > Thanks,

    I highly recommend 'MySQL and Perl for the Web' by Paul Dubois.

    I have some criticisms of the book, which I won't discuss, but I can
    tell you that I've been reading it for six years and I haven't
    exhausted it. I pick it up about once a year, and it amazes me what I
    still can learn, after rereading it now all the way through three or
    four times, and in bits and pieces a lot more than that.

    A caution: I'd make sure you understand Perl references before reading
    it. It's okay for SQL, but you really need to be beyond a beginning
    stage for Perl.

    CC

    cartercc, Nov 10, 2008

  3. me

    Guest

    me <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for some recommended tutorials and/or guide to basic
    > access to MySQL from Perl.

    The general recommended way to access RDBMS from Perl is to use DBI.
    See the perldoc for DBI.

    For things peculiarities specific to MySQL, see the perldoc for DBD::mysql

    > I'm lightly experienced in Perl, almost
    > ignorant of MySQL, and need to jumpstart. I have skills with DB access
    > and core SQL in other languages/DB's.

    I liked "MySQL" by DuBois, which of course is mostly about MySQL itself
    but also has chapters on using Perl with MySQL. Since you are already
    familiar with SQL from other DBs, the first half may not be as useful to
    you as it was to me, but it is probably still quite handy for the Perl
    chapters and as a reference.

    Xho

    this fact.

    , Nov 10, 2008
  4. me

    Todd Wade Guest

    On Nov 10, 2:31 pm, me <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for some recommended tutorials and/or guide to basic
    > access to MySQL from Perl. I'm lightly experienced in Perl, almost
    > ignorant of MySQL, and need to jumpstart. I have skills with DB access
    > and core SQL in other languages/DB's.
    >
    > I'll need to be able to do basic access, update, as well as monitor
    > for common errors (and conditions/returns I'm too newbie to know of).

    _Proggramming the Perl DBI_

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565926998/index.html

    One of my favorites.

    Todd Wade, Nov 11, 2008