    PHP2 Guest

    I can not find too much good PERL/MySQL tutorials... Do you know someone
    about good PERL/MySQL tutorials on the web..?

    PHP2, Feb 21, 2004

  2. PHP2 wrote:

    > I can not find too much good PERL/MySQL tutorials... Do you know someone
    > about good PERL/MySQL tutorials on the web..?

    See http://dbi.perl.org/

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Exide Arabellan, Feb 21, 2004
  4. PHP2

    toylet Guest

    toylet, Feb 21, 2004
  5. PHP2

    Matt Garrish Guest

    Matt Garrish, Feb 21, 2004
  6. PHP2

    PHP2 Guest

    all URLs are standard Help pages.. but facts that on market realy have not
    examples of some private person.. other programming languages have simialr
    tutorials from private persons..

    PHP2, Feb 21, 2004
  7. PHP2

    toylet Guest

    >> Is there a good search string that could help one to find more live
    >> examples of using the DBI::Mysql interface? Most examples I found are
    >> merely scratching the surface.

    > There are a several excellent books by Paul Dubois on the subject:
    >
    > http://www.mysql.com/portal/books/mysql/index.html
    >
    > Matt

    Note that he wants perl+mysql, not php+mysql :)

    Btw, i was talking about the scarcity of examples in the web searcheable
    by google.com. Is perl+mysql not a hot topic after all?

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision. In Linux We Trust.
    / v \ http://www.linux-sxs.org

    toylet, Feb 21, 2004
  8. PHP2

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "toylet" <toylet_at_mail.hongkong.com> wrote in message
    > >> Is there a good search string that could help one to find more live
    > >> examples of using the DBI::Mysql interface? Most examples I found are
    > >> merely scratching the surface.

    > > There are a several excellent books by Paul Dubois on the subject:
    > >
    > > http://www.mysql.com/portal/books/mysql/index.html
    > >
    > > Matt
    > >

    > Note that he wants perl+mysql, not php+mysql :)
    >
    > Btw, i was talking about the scarcity of examples in the web searcheable
    > by google.com. Is perl+mysql not a hot topic after all?

    That was just a starting point. You can look up his other books for
    yourself:

    http://www.kitebird.com/mysql-perl/

    There's also not a whole lot to say about Perl and MySQL. His books are a
    good starting point if you have limited exposure to Perl and/or MySQL, but
    the technologies are distinct of each other. If you know SQL, you should be
    able to use the Perl DBI and drivers to query your databases. If you know
    MySQL, you should have an idea of what tasks you could automate with a
    scripting language like Perl. The advantage of the Perl DBI is that it hides
    the complexity of connecting to different databases in the drivers, so all
    you really need to know is some SQL. So whether it's Perl and
    (MySQL|Oracle|MSSQL|Postgresql) it doesn't make a huge difference to your
    programs.

    If you're just interested in how to use Perl to interact with a database,
    drop the idea that you need to find information on MySQL for now and go
    straight to "Programming the Perl DBI". Once you've mastered that part of
    the equation you can read the MySQL documentation to find out what the
    pecularities of that database system are.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Feb 21, 2004
  9. PHP2

    Robert Guest

    PHP2 wrote:

    > I can not find too much good PERL/MySQL tutorials... Do you know someone
    > about good PERL/MySQL tutorials on the web..?

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/1046/1/

    http://www.perlscriptsjavascripts.com/tutorials/mysql/

    http://www.devshed.com/c/b/MySQL/

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/10/23/databases.html

    http://www.perl.com/pub/a/1999/10/DBI.html

    The great thing about Perl is the DBI. You can actually look at articles
    that explain how Perl connects and uses pretty much ANY database and it
    should be trivial to tweak that knowledge for MySQL.

    Book: Programming the Perl DBI by Descartes & Bunce

    Robert, Feb 21, 2004
  10. PHP2

    Robert Guest

    *ONE* of the great things. ;-)

    Robert, Feb 21, 2004
  11. PHP2

    PHP2 Guest

    yes! this realy be helpfull!

    PHP2, Feb 21, 2004
  12. PHP2 wrote:

    > all URLs are standard Help pages.. but facts that on market realy have not
    > examples of some private person.. other programming languages have simialr
    > tutorials from private persons..

    That's unintelligible nonsense.

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Feb 21, 2004