    host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
    work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
    but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....

    joesplink, Apr 5, 2005

  2. joesplink wrote:
    > www.tripod.com has free web hosting with CGI and PERL, however there
    > may be some limitations. I've got a PERL program that I use on another
    > host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
    > work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
    > but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....

    You don't have a file uploading question; you have problems with
    installing a script. This newsgroup is for discussing Perl programming
    matters, not for providing free assistance with installing scripts.

    Anyway, this document may provide some useful info:
    http://my.execpc.com/~keithp/bdlogcgi.htm

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 5, 2005

  3. joesplink <> wrote:

    > www.tripod.com has free web hosting

    > I asked support at TRIPOD about this
    > but didn't get a response.

    Looks like you got what you paid for.

    Anyway, did you mean to ask a Perl question?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Apr 6, 2005
  4. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    TRIPOD has their own version of GCI, called TripodCGI....they don't
    provide any documentaton.

    They specifically state that they don't help debugging Perl .... fair
    enough...besides..there was no error msg.... the first read failed and
    no bytes were transferred....

    My guess is that they don't support it, and I thought someone on this
    group might know.....

    I also thought it might be interesting to the general reader that
    Tripod provides free web hosting for sites using
    Perl................great for learning, experimenting .... but not with
    file uploads I think.....

    joesplink, Apr 6, 2005
  5. joesplink wrote:
    > They specifically state that they don't help debugging Perl .... fair
    > enough...besides..there was no error msg.... the first read failed and
    > no bytes were transferred....

    Inspired by Bill's knowledge about Tripod, this seems to be a situation
    where a Perl module I just wrote, CGI::UploadEasy, may come in handy.

    http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?CGI::UploadEasy

    To check it out, follow these steps:

    1) Create a subdirectory 'CGI' (case matters) in your cgi-bin and
    upload UploadEasy.pm to that directory

    2) Upload this script:

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use strict;
    use warnings;
    use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser';
    use CGI::UploadEasy;
    my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');
    my $cgi = $ue->cgiobject;
    print $cgi->header, "Done.\n";
    __END__

    3) Upload a file upload form that invokes the script at submission.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 6, 2005
  6. Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

    > my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');

    Oops. That should be:

    my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->new(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 6, 2005
  7. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    it is not a
    version of the CGI module, which they also provide.

    You are correct (thanks).I was confused, partly because TripodCGI does
    contain a param function.

    documentation for their modules,

    Nope. I could quote the almost non-existent TripodCGI documentation,
    FWIW, but, it ain't worth much.

    for any.

    You are correct again (thanks again). See below.

    manager interface
    to see how they do it.

    This doesn't seem germane. I'm trying to upload from my own form.

    I"VE GOT ONE.... AT LAST..... A PERL QUESTION.....................

    As it turns out, my previous efforts were not to the point....and my
    current efforts have foundered in a flurry of Perl errors.....

    The beginning of my program is (which, minus the Tripod... works fine
    on another host)....
    my $cgi = new CGI();
    my $Tripodcgi = new TripodCGI();

    $page->printHeader();

    #
    # If we're invoked directly, display the form and get out.
    #
    if (! $Tripodcgi->param("button") ) {
    DisplayForm();
    exit;
    }

    A FEW OF THE ERROR MESSAGES ARE ..... (now that I know where to look
    for them).......

    Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
    Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
    Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
    line 1589.
    Use of uninitialized value in split at TripodCGI.pm line 76.
    Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30

    THere are a lot more errors of the same type.

    I don't have a clue as to what the problem is.

    joesplink, Apr 6, 2005
  8. joesplink wrote:
    > The beginning of my program is (which, minus the Tripod... works fine
    > on another host)....
    > ..
    > my $cgi = new CGI();
    > my $Tripodcgi = new TripodCGI();
    >
    > $page->printHeader();
    >
    > #
    > # If we're invoked directly, display the form and get out.
    > #
    > if (! $Tripodcgi->param("button") ) {
    > DisplayForm();
    > exit;
    > }
    >
    > A FEW OF THE ERROR MESSAGES ARE ..... (now that I know where to look
    > for them).......
    >
    > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
    > Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
    > Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
    > line 1589.
    > Use of uninitialized value in split at TripodCGI.pm line 76.
    > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30
    >
    > THere are a lot more errors of the same type.
    >
    > I don't have a clue as to what the problem is.

    If you want help with finding out, please post a short but *complete*
    program that people can copy and run and that exhibits the problem.

    See the posting guidelines for this group:

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 6, 2005
  9. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    I see that I've been building on an unsound foundation.... the
    following program

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use CGI;
    $cgi = new CGI;
    print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
    print "Hello World"; exit();

    runs, but produces the error log

    Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
    Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
    Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
    line 1589.

    And I have no idea why. I did another little test prog with a
    TripodCGI object and also had error messages. I did a prog with a
    TripodPage ojbect and got no error messages.

    In the words of Marvin Gaye....What is Going On?

    joesplink, Apr 6, 2005
  10. "joesplink" <> wrote in news:1112826102.868063.165150
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
    > Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
    > Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
    > line 1589.
    >
    > And I have no idea why. I did another little test prog with a
    > TripodCGI object and also had error messages. I did a prog with a
    > TripodPage ojbect and got no error messages.

    The messages above are warnings, not errors.

    You might want to figure out the verison of the CGI module you are using.
    Then, you can check whether there were bugs in those modules.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 7, 2005
  11. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    Those are some nasty warnings!

    are using.
    Then, you can check whether there were bugs in those modules.

    Will do.

    Thanks,
    WDF

    joesplink, Apr 7, 2005
  12. joesplink wrote:
    > www.tripod.com has free web hosting with CGI and PERL,

    "CGI and PERL" in this case meaning "CGI written in Perl and nothing else".

    > however there
    > may be some limitations. I've got a PERL program that I use on another
    > host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
    > work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
    > but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....

    Antique version of Perl -- 5.008.

    Antique version of cgi.pm.

    NO other standard modules at all (including pragmas). About four
    moderately useful Tripod-written modules.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "Never try to take over the international economy based on a radical

    John W. Kennedy, Apr 8, 2005
  13. joesplink wrote:
    > TRIPOD has their own version of GCI, called TripodCGI....they don't
    > provide any documentaton.

    No, they also provide cgi.pm (but an ancient version). TripodCGI.pm is
    something else.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "...if you had to fall in love with someone who was evil, I can see why

    John W. Kennedy, Apr 8, 2005
  14. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    support Perl".....seems like a no-go to me.

    joesplink, Apr 8, 2005
  15. joesplink

    Guest

    joesplink <> wrote:
    > support Perl".....seems like a no-go to me.

    Then it is probably best to look elsewhere for a site which supplies a
    reasonably up-to-date version of Perl.

    It is certainly possible to get webhosting including Perl, FTP,
    and login access for about $US 40 p.a.

    Axel

    , Apr 8, 2005
  16. joesplink

    joesplink Guest

    script execution.

    Do you know someone at the company? I.e., just out of curiosity, where
    are you getting this info?

    Will

    joesplink, Apr 8, 2005
  17. joesplink