Perl on TRIPOD hosted sites..file uploading question..

joesplink

www.tripod.com has free web hosting with CGI and PERL, however there
may be some limitations. I've got a PERL program that I use on another
host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

joesplink said:
www.tripod.com has free web hosting with CGI and PERL, however there
may be some limitations. I've got a PERL program that I use on another
host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....

You don't have a file uploading question; you have problems with
installing a script. This newsgroup is for discussing Perl programming
matters, not for providing free assistance with installing scripts.

Anyway, this document may provide some useful info:
http://my.execpc.com/~keithp/bdlogcgi.htm

joesplink

TRIPOD has their own version of GCI, called TripodCGI....they don't
provide any documentaton.

They specifically state that they don't help debugging Perl .... fair
enough...besides..there was no error msg.... the first read failed and
no bytes were transferred....

My guess is that they don't support it, and I thought someone on this
group might know.....

I also thought it might be interesting to the general reader that
Tripod provides free web hosting for sites using
Perl................great for learning, experimenting .... but not with
file uploads I think.....

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

joesplink said:
They specifically state that they don't help debugging Perl .... fair
enough...besides..there was no error msg.... the first read failed and
no bytes were transferred....

Inspired by Bill's knowledge about Tripod, this seems to be a situation
where a Perl module I just wrote, CGI::UploadEasy, may come in handy.

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?CGI::UploadEasy

To check it out, follow these steps:

1) Create a subdirectory 'CGI' (case matters) in your cgi-bin and
upload UploadEasy.pm to that directory

2) Upload this script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser';
use CGI::UploadEasy;
my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');
my $cgi = $ue->cgiobject;
print $cgi->header, "Done.\n";
__END__

3) Upload a file upload form that invokes the script at submission.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Gunnar said:
my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');

Oops. That should be:

my $ue = CGI::UploadEasy->new(-uploaddir => '/path/to/upload/dir');

joesplink

Not exactly. While Tripod DOES have a module called TripodCGI,
it is not a
version of the CGI module, which they also provide.

You are correct (thanks).I was confused, partly because TripodCGI does
contain a param function.
documentation for their modules,

Nope. I could quote the almost non-existent TripodCGI documentation,
FWIW, but, it ain't worth much.

for any.

You are correct again (thanks again). See below.
manager interface
to see how they do it.

This doesn't seem germane. I'm trying to upload from my own form.

I"VE GOT ONE.... AT LAST..... A PERL QUESTION.....................

As it turns out, my previous efforts were not to the point....and my
current efforts have foundered in a flurry of Perl errors.....

The beginning of my program is (which, minus the Tripod... works fine
on another host)....
my $cgi = new CGI();
my $Tripodcgi = new TripodCGI();

$page->printHeader();

#
# If we're invoked directly, display the form and get out.
#
if (! $Tripodcgi->param("button") ) {
DisplayForm();
exit;
}

A FEW OF THE ERROR MESSAGES ARE ..... (now that I know where to look
for them).......

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in split at TripodCGI.pm line 76.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30

THere are a lot more errors of the same type.

I don't have a clue as to what the problem is.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

joesplink said:
The beginning of my program is (which, minus the Tripod... works fine
on another host)....
..
my $cgi = new CGI();
my $Tripodcgi = new TripodCGI();

$page->printHeader();

#
# If we're invoked directly, display the form and get out.
#
if (! $Tripodcgi->param("button") ) {
DisplayForm();
exit;
}

A FEW OF THE ERROR MESSAGES ARE ..... (now that I know where to look
for them).......

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in split at TripodCGI.pm line 76.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30

THere are a lot more errors of the same type.

I don't have a clue as to what the problem is.

If you want help with finding out, please post a short but *complete*
program that people can copy and run and that exhibits the problem.

See the posting guidelines for this group:

joesplink

I see that I've been building on an unsound foundation.... the
following program

#!/usr/bin/perl
use CGI;
$cgi = new CGI;
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello World"; exit();

runs, but produces the error log

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
line 1589.

And I have no idea why. I did another little test prog with a
TripodCGI object and also had error messages. I did a prog with a
TripodPage ojbect and got no error messages.

In the words of Marvin Gaye....What is Going On?

A. Sinan Unur

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at CGI.pm line 30.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar dereference at CGI.pm line 1589.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at CGI.pm
line 1589.

And I have no idea why. I did another little test prog with a
TripodCGI object and also had error messages. I did a prog with a
TripodPage ojbect and got no error messages.

The messages above are warnings, not errors.

You might want to figure out the verison of the CGI module you are using.
Then, you can check whether there were bugs in those modules.

Sinan

joesplink

The messages above are warnings, not errors.

Those are some nasty warnings!
are using.
Then, you can check whether there were bugs in those modules.

Will do.

Thanks,
WDF

John W. Kennedy

joesplink said:
www.tripod.com has free web hosting with CGI and PERL,

"CGI and PERL" in this case meaning "CGI written in Perl and nothing else".
however there
may be some limitations. I've got a PERL program that I use on another
host to upload files..... and it works fine.... however, it doesn't
work on my TRIPOD hosted site.....I asked support at TRIPOD about this
but didn't get a response....(I've asked them again)....

Antique version of Perl -- 5.008.

Antique version of cgi.pm.

NO other standard modules at all (including pragmas). About four
moderately useful Tripod-written modules.

John W. Kennedy

joesplink said:
TRIPOD has their own version of GCI, called TripodCGI....they don't
provide any documentaton.

No, they also provide cgi.pm (but an ancient version). TripodCGI.pm is
something else.

joesplink

support Perl".....seems like a no-go to me.

axel

joesplink said:
support Perl".....seems like a no-go to me.

Then it is probably best to look elsewhere for a site which supplies a
reasonably up-to-date version of Perl.

It is certainly possible to get webhosting including Perl, FTP,
and login access for about $US 40 p.a.

Axel

joesplink

.because of the one-second limit imposed by Tripod for
script execution.

Do you know someone at the company? I.e., just out of curiosity, where
are you getting this info?

Will