Perl or Groovy - Help to decide which to learn

Amit

Hi,

I want some help deciding which of the two to learn.

I am new to either of the scripting languages. But I have worked in
Java. So I wanted to know that how does groovy compare with Perl.

I know perl is very strong and very much adored. So, considering the
long history of perl, it may definitely have more functions and
libraries (and sample code :;). But considering my background, will I
miss many functionalities if I decide to learn Groovy instead of Perl.

tia

Amit

Mark Clements

Amit said:
Hi,

I want some help deciding which of the two to learn.

I am new to either of the scripting languages. But I have worked in
Java. So I wanted to know that how does groovy compare with Perl.

I know perl is very strong and very much adored. So, considering the
long history of perl, it may definitely have more functions and
libraries (and sample code :;).
Well - that's one of the advantages of Groovy, supposedly seamless
integration with Java. You can call any Java libraries you have directly
from Groovy.
But considering my background, will I
miss many functionalities if I decide to learn Groovy instead of Perl.
If you already know Java, then Groovy probably won't be much of a
learning curve. You should probably consider it as an additional Java
skill rather than a totally separate language.

Any decision you make should be based on what you need to do your work.
It wouldn't hurt to learn both (and maybe look at other languages as
well, eg Python, Ruby). If you need to specialize, you can do that as
the need arises.

Mark

Amit

Well - that's one of the advantages ofGroovy, supposedly seamless
integration with Java. You can call any Java libraries you have directly
fromGroovy.

If you already know Java, thenGroovyprobably won't be much of a
learning curve. You should probably consider it as an additional Java
skill rather than a totally separate language.

Any decision you make should be based on what you need to do your work.
It wouldn't hurt to learn both (and maybe look at other languages as
well, eg Python, Ruby). If you need to specialize, you can do that as
the need arises.

Mark

Thanks Mark.