    miss many functionalities if I decide to learn Groovy instead of Perl.

    tia

    Amit

    Amit, Jul 3, 2007

  2. Amit wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want some help deciding which of the two to learn.
    >
    > I am new to either of the scripting languages. But I have worked in
    > Java. So I wanted to know that how does groovy compare with Perl.
    >
    > I know perl is very strong and very much adored. So, considering the
    > long history of perl, it may definitely have more functions and
    > libraries (and sample code :;).

    Well - that's one of the advantages of Groovy, supposedly seamless
    integration with Java. You can call any Java libraries you have directly
    from Groovy.

    > But considering my background, will I
    > miss many functionalities if I decide to learn Groovy instead of Perl.

    If you already know Java, then Groovy probably won't be much of a
    learning curve. You should probably consider it as an additional Java
    skill rather than a totally separate language.

    Any decision you make should be based on what you need to do your work.
    It wouldn't hurt to learn both (and maybe look at other languages as
    well, eg Python, Ruby). If you need to specialize, you can do that as
    the need arises.

    Mark

    Mark Clements, Jul 3, 2007

  3. Amit

    Amit Guest

    On Jul 3, 11:26 am, Mark Clements <>
    wrote:
    > Amit wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I want somehelpdeciding which of the two to learn.

    > > I am new to either of the scripting languages. But I have worked in
    > > Java. So I wanted to know that how doesgroovycompare withPerl.

    > > I knowperlis very strong and very much adored. So, considering the
    > > long history ofperl, it may definitely have more functions and
    > > libraries (and sample code :;).

    > Well - that's one of the advantages ofGroovy, supposedly seamless
    > integration with Java. You can call any Java libraries you have directly
    > fromGroovy.
    >
    > > But considering my background, will I> miss many functionalities if Idecideto learnGroovyinstead ofPerl.

    > If you already know Java, thenGroovyprobably won't be much of a
    > learning curve. You should probably consider it as an additional Java
    > skill rather than a totally separate language.
    >
    > Any decision you make should be based on what you need to do your work.
    > It wouldn't hurt to learn both (and maybe look at other languages as
    > well, eg Python, Ruby). If you need to specialize, you can do that as
    > the need arises.
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks Mark.

    Amit, Jul 4, 2007