Perl - Parse UNC Path in a string variable

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Kevin Joseph, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Kevin Joseph

    Kevin Joseph Guest

    I have written a Perl script to modify some files over the network.
    All PCs are Win2k. Most of the files reside on a share in the form of
    \\server\share_name. Some of the files are on dirves in the form of
    \\server\d$ and this is where my problem is.

    My script prompts the user for the file name. It store the information
    in a variable, parses it and then accesses it. If the file name
    entered is \\server\share_name\filename, I do not have a problem. With
    \\server\d$\filename however it simply fails. I have the logic to
    convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
    (\\server\share_name\filename). I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
    that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
    thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.

    Kindly help.

    Kevin.

    Kevin Joseph, Aug 12, 2004

  2. (Kevin Joseph) wrote in

    > I have written a Perl script to modify some files over the network.
    > All PCs are Win2k. Most of the files reside on a share in the form of
    > \\server\share_name. Some of the files are on dirves in the form of
    > \\server\d$ and this is where my problem is.
    >
    > My script prompts the user for the file name. It store the information
    > in a variable, parses it and then accesses it. If the file name
    > entered is \\server\share_name\filename, I do not have a problem. With
    > \\server\d$\filename however it simply fails. I have the logic to
    > convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
    > (\\server\share_name\filename). I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
    > that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
    > thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.
    >
    > Kindly help.

    Kindly provide some useful information then. You indicate that you
    'parse' the variable, that you have the 'logic' to convert \ to \\ etc
    but never show code. We are not mind readers here. Please read

    to learn how to formulate your question so others can understand and help
    you. Smart questions get answers. 'Does not work' doesn't.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur
    lid

    A. Sinan Unur, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Kevin Joseph

    Kevin Joseph Guest

    Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from KinderGarden
    or it is that you are trying to market some web page for dummies ? I
    think I will just ignore your comment and wait for others to answer.

    Kevin.

    Kevin Joseph, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Kevin Joseph

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Kevin Joseph" <> wrote in message

    > My script prompts the user for the file name. It store the information
    > in a variable, parses it and then accesses it. If the file name
    > entered is \\server\share_name\filename, I do not have a problem. With
    > \\server\d$\filename however it simply fails. I have the logic to
    > convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
    > (\\server\share_name\filename). I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
    > that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
    > thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.

    Since you don't even post what the actual failure message is, let alone
    working code that demonstrates the problem, you shouldn't be surprised
    you're not getting any help.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Kevin Joseph

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Kevin Joseph <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from KinderGarden
    > or it is that you are trying to market some web page for dummies ? I
    > think I will just ignore your comment and wait for others to answer.

    Good luck then.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Kevin Joseph

    Joe Smith Guest

    Kevin Joseph wrote:

    > Is this a Perl newsgroup or a newsgroup for someone from KinderGarden
    > or it is that you are trying to market some web page for dummies ?

    It was a serious request for more information in order to help you
    solve your problem.

    >>> I have the logic to convert \ to \\ which is why the former works
    >>> (\\server\share_name\filename).

    Could you show us your logic? It might need a bit of a rework.

    >>> I tried escaping the $ (using \$) but
    >>> that did not work. I have tried various permutations and combinations
    >>> thus far and as a last option am sending my request to this newsgroup.

    Could you show us which permutations and combinations you've tried so far?

    > Kindly provide some useful information then. You indicate that you
    > 'parse' the variable, that you have the 'logic' to convert \ to \\ etc
    > but never show code. We are not mind readers here.

    In other words, show us the actual code you've tried so far.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Aug 13, 2004