Perl: parsing XML, what is needed?

Discussion in 'XML' started by John Bokma, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    Hi,

    After some attempts using XSLT I am thinking about switching to Perl
    with a SAX (like?) parser.

    Which module(s) should I use? I see so many XML related modules at
    search.cpan.org that it is unclear to me.

    I have some experience with SAX using Java, so I want to use that but
    from Perl.

    Is a (the?) SAX Perl module also able to validate using DTD or XML
    Schema? I understand that the latter has some advantages over DTD?

    I want to switch to Perl since I am not aware how to do things like
    determining image width and heigth using XSLT, creating directories and
    such. I have very small experience with Xalan.

    Thanks in advance,
    Regards,

    John

    --
    email: mail(at)johnbokma.com (or reply) home: http://johnbokma.com/
    Web site hints: http://johnbokma.com/websitedesign/ ~ ICQ 218175426

    John Bokma, Aug 7, 2003

  2. * John Bokma wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >Which module(s) should I use? I see so many XML related modules at
    >search.cpan.org that it is unclear to me.

    http://perl-xml.sourceforge.net/faq/ and there are some articles on
    xml.com that might help.

    >Is a (the?) SAX Perl module also able to validate using DTD or XML
    >Schema? I understand that the latter has some advantages over DTD?

    There are modules with this capability. Yes, XML Schema has some
    advantages over DTDs.

    >I want to switch to Perl since I am not aware how to do things like
    >determining image width and heigth using XSLT, creating directories and
    >such. I have very small experience with Xalan.

    XML::LibXML allows you to write extension functions in Perl, you could
    use both.

    Bjoern Hoehrmann, Aug 7, 2003