Perl: parsing XML, what is needed?

John Bokma

Hi,

After some attempts using XSLT I am thinking about switching to Perl
with a SAX (like?) parser.

Which module(s) should I use? I see so many XML related modules at
search.cpan.org that it is unclear to me.

I have some experience with SAX using Java, so I want to use that but
from Perl.

Is a (the?) SAX Perl module also able to validate using DTD or XML
Schema? I understand that the latter has some advantages over DTD?

I want to switch to Perl since I am not aware how to do things like
determining image width and heigth using XSLT, creating directories and
such. I have very small experience with Xalan.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

John

Bjoern Hoehrmann

* John Bokma wrote in comp.text.xml:
Which module(s) should I use? I see so many XML related modules at
search.cpan.org that it is unclear to me.

http://perl-xml.sourceforge.net/faq/ and there are some articles on
xml.com that might help.
Is a (the?) SAX Perl module also able to validate using DTD or XML
Schema? I understand that the latter has some advantages over DTD?

There are modules with this capability. Yes, XML Schema has some
advantages over DTDs.
I want to switch to Perl since I am not aware how to do things like
determining image width and heigth using XSLT, creating directories and
such. I have very small experience with Xalan.

XML::LibXML allows you to write extension functions in Perl, you could
use both.