    more text manipulation than math, and it would be wonderful if I could
    use them on my calculator.

    , Dec 7, 2004

  2. wrote:

    > Can someone please port perl to my 12 mhz Motorola 68000 CPU (same as
    > in apples) Texas Instruments 89 graphing calculator?

    I'd be happy to. What are you offering in payment?

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Dec 7, 2004

  3. wrote:

    > Motorola 68000 CPU (same as in apples)

    (Double-take)

    Same as in Apples? As in, Macintoshes? Macs haven't used 68k chips for
    ten years. Where have you been???

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Andrew Hamm Guest

    wrote:
    > Can someone please port perl to my 12 mhz Motorola 68000 CPU (same as
    > in apples) Texas Instruments 89 graphing calculator?
    >
    > There is a C compiler available for the calculator. I would like to be
    > able to run perl on it because, the BASIC of the calculator is feature
    > limited, and not good at text processing, or dealing with strings. And
    > there are no regular expressions and all the flexibility and glue-ness
    > of Perl. And C isnt so good at strings either, and too much risk of
    > severe crashing. I've written a couple math programs in Perl, which
    > are more text manipulation than math, and it would be wonderful if I
    > could use them on my calculator.

    Holy crap. How much memory? Enough for an executable that's maybe 1.5Mb in
    size, even before you start to deal with your data?

    This has to be a joke, surely. If you are serious, you'd have more luck
    maybe with FORTH, although that can be crap with strings. Perhaps LISP -
    that's been around forever and used to fit into a tiny footprint. Both
    these languages are brain-numbing to use, however (imho)

    Maybe you should go looking for public source to another Tiny BASIC which
    supports much better string handling and upload that.

    I'd please like someone to Port Algol-68 to my Casio PB-100 pocket
    calculator. It's got a full keyboard and some non-ASCII symbols!

    Just for the sake of it, what are the other specs for this calculator?
    Memory, disk, amount of EPROM....

    Andrew Hamm, Dec 8, 2004

    Andrew Hamm wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Can someone please port perl to my 12 mhz Motorola 68000 CPU (same

    as
    > > in apples) Texas Instruments 89 graphing calculator?
    > >
    > > There is a C compiler available for the calculator. I would like to

    be
    > > able to run perl on it because, the BASIC of the calculator is

    feature
    > > limited, and not good at text processing, or dealing with strings.

    And
    > > there are no regular expressions and all the flexibility and

    glue-ness
    > > of Perl. And C isnt so good at strings either, and too much risk of
    > > severe crashing. I've written a couple math programs in Perl, which
    > > are more text manipulation than math, and it would be wonderful if

    > > could use them on my calculator.

    > Holy crap. How much memory? Enough for an executable that's maybe

    1.5Mb in
    > size, even before you start to deal with your data?
    >
    > This has to be a joke, surely. If you are serious, you'd have more

    luck
    > maybe with FORTH, although that can be crap with strings. Perhaps

    LISP -
    > that's been around forever and used to fit into a tiny footprint.

    Both
    > these languages are brain-numbing to use, however (imho)
    >
    > Maybe you should go looking for public source to another Tiny BASIC

    which
    > supports much better string handling and upload that.
    >
    > I'd please like someone to Port Algol-68 to my Casio PB-100 pocket
    > calculator. It's got a full keyboard and some non-ASCII symbols!
    >
    > Just for the sake of it, what are the other specs for this

    calculator?
    > Memory, disk, amount of EPROM....

    It has 256KB RAM, 188KB after OS, and 2.7MB FlashROM (effectivly hard
    drive). Its a 12mhz Motorola 68000 processor, faster than the Macintosh
    Classic realeased in 1993 (which has 8mhz).

    , Dec 11, 2004
  6. Andrew Hamm Guest

    wrote:

    > It has 256KB RAM, 188KB after OS, and 2.7MB FlashROM (effectivly hard
    > drive). Its a 12mhz Motorola 68000 processor, faster than the
    > Macintosh Classic realeased in 1993 (which has 8mhz).

    OK. Well, I think nobody else is responding because they don't take it
    seriously, or even think you are trolling, but I'm willing to entertain
    another reply.

    Given those resources, faggeddaboudit !

    you'll be much better off with a free-source version of Tiny BASIC from
    somewhere. I have no idea where to look, but surely some google searches
    will turn up a whole rash of source code for BASIC's. Pick one that sounds
    like it's got string handling that you can live with.

    Andrew Hamm, Dec 13, 2004