    Thanks,
    --
    Shirvani Ali
    Ali Shirvani, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Ali Shirvani <> wrote:

    > I'm a student of computer engineering, and I want to have a talk on
    > Perl for *Programming Languages Course*. Is there any resource that
    > specified the concepts of programming language theory that Perl based
    > on them?

    What is unique about Perl are its concepts of *natural* language theory:

    http://www.wall.org/~larry/natural.html

    --
    Tad McClellan
    Tad J McClellan, Nov 4, 2008

  3. Ali Shirvani

    cartercc Guest

    On Nov 4, 6:59 am, Ali Shirvani <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm a student of computer engineering, and I want to have a talk on
    > Perl for *Programming Languages Course*. Is there any resource that
    > specified the concepts of programming language theory that Perl based
    > on them?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Shirvani Ali

    Shirvani --

    There is an absolute wealth on Perl online. I don't really think that
    your objective is achievable, but don't take this in a negative sense.
    I am a database manager for a large public university, and I use Perl
    on a daily basis to produce reports that can't be touched by any
    database. I also have an advanced degree in SW and will finish my PhD
    in SW next year (I hope) and can tell you from experience that Perl
    and academics do not mix.

    If you have a paper or presentation for a course, that's probably
    about a ten page paper or a 15 minute presentation, which is very
    limited to discuss any topic, much less a topic as big as Perl. I
    would NOT focus on the technical or the computer science aspects of
    Perl. Instead, I would focus on the practical aspects. After all, PERL
    stands for PRACTICAL Extraction and Reporting Language.

    Look at CPAN. Pick half a dozen different topics. You might consider
    database, XML, networking, interface with Microsoft applications, CGI,
    bioinformatics, text processing, etc. Talk about how Perl lends itself
    to very different types of problems, and talk about the vast number of
    modules that have been developed to solve these problems with Perl.
    Use the source code for one to illustrate what you mean.

    For filler, you can talk briefly about the history of Perl, or you can
    talk about the variety of open employment positions that mention Perl
    (search dice.com).

    CC
    cartercc, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Ali Shirvani wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm a student of computer engineering, and I want to have a talk on
    > Perl for *Programming Languages Course*. Is there any resource that
    > specified the concepts of programming language theory that Perl based
    > on them?

    I'd read the presentations that Larry Wall gave on the "State of the
    Onion". See "Culture" in http://www.wall.org/~larry/perl.html

    Actually this is good advice regardless of the question. It is always
    pleasant to be entertained whilst being educated.

    --
    RGB
    RedGrittyBrick, Nov 4, 2008
  5. >>>>> "cc" == cartercc <> writes:

    cc> I also have an advanced degree in SW and will finish my PhD in
    cc> SW next year (I hope) and can tell you from experience that Perl
    cc> and academics do not mix.

    I expect the numerous academics who actually use Perl (Damian Conway,
    for one) and the people who use Perl to get work done (such as the
    people in linguistics and bioinformatics) would disagree with you.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Nov 4, 2008
  6. Ali Shirvani

    cartercc Guest

    On Nov 4, 11:24 am, Charlton Wilbur <> wrote:

    > I expect the numerous academics who actually use Perl (Damian Conway,
    > for one) and the people who use Perl to get work done (such as the
    > people in linguistics and bioinformatics) would disagree with you.

    They undoubtedly would. The ones that focus on research tend to look
    down on Perl as a 'practical' language and as such not suited serious
    research. It's pretty much expected that code for graduate level
    projects will be written in C, and for defense related spending (and
    we have a good amount of defense dollars here) Ada.

    I remember an algorithms class where I turned in an assignment in
    Perl, and was told that I wouldn't get credit for it unless I wrote it
    in another language, even though it worked perfectly and the CPU time
    was within the range of solutions written in those other languages.

    I'm not being ugly or critical or judgmental. I'm just describing my
    experience.

    CC
    cartercc, Nov 4, 2008
  7. Ali Shirvani

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <>, Charlton Wilbur
    <> wrote:

    > cc> I also have an advanced degree in SW and will finish my PhD in
    > cc> SW next year (I hope) and can tell you from experience that Perl
    > cc> and academics do not mix.
    >
    > I expect the numerous academics who actually use Perl (Damian Conway,
    > for one)

    Damian's Dead Languages talk tells you why he wasn't fit for academia
    and mostly isn't in that world anymore. Be careful what you want to
    make other people say :)
    brian d foy, Nov 5, 2008
  8. >>>>> "bdf" == brian d foy <> writes:

    bdf> In article <>, Charlton
    bdf> Wilbur <> wrote:

    cc> I also have an advanced degree in SW and will finish my PhD in
    cc> SW next year (I hope) and can tell you from experience that Perl
    cc> and academics do not mix.

    >> I expect the numerous academics who actually use Perl (Damian
    >> Conway, for one)

    bdf> Damian's Dead Languages talk tells you why he wasn't fit for
    bdf> academia and mostly isn't in that world anymore. Be careful
    bdf> what you want to make other people say :)

    I can't find that talk online, but in the interview he gave at
    http://fyi.oreilly.com/2008/08/the-mind-of-damian-conway-scie.html
    he offers the explanation that he has too many research interests to
    focus on one, which makes university research difficult.

    Do not confuse "is a college professor" with "is an academic."

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Nov 5, 2008
  9. Ali Shirvani

    David Combs Guest

    In article <>,
    cartercc <> wrote:

    >database. I also have an advanced degree in SW and will finish my PhD
    >in SW next year (I hope) and can tell you from experience that Perl

    Wow, am I getting old! -- so much new terminology in technical fields.

    Please, what does "SW" stand for?

    Thanks,

    David
    David Combs, Dec 1, 2008
  10. Ali Shirvani

    cartercc Guest

    On Nov 30, 8:05 pm, (David Combs) wrote:
    > Please, what does "SW" stand for?

    Sorry, my bad. I meant SwE, Software Engineering. Though, as my 'real'
    engineering friends tell me, software cannot be engineered because it
    doesn't involve physical constraints and physical laws, and that I'll
    never be a 'real' engineer.

    Oh, well.

    CC
    cartercc, Dec 1, 2008