[perl-python] 20050117, filter, map

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    © # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
    © # Python
    ©
    © # the "filter" function can be used to
    © # reduce a list such that unwanted
    © # elements are removed.
    © # example:
    ©
    © def even(n): return n % 2 == 0
    © print filter( even, range(11))
    ©
    ©
    © # the "map" function applies a function
    © # to all elements of a list. Example:
    ©
    © def square(n): return n*n
    © print map(square, range(11))
    ©
    © ------------------------------------
    © # similar perl versions
    ©
    © use Data::Dumper;
    © sub even {return $_[0]%2==0};
    © print Dumper[ grep {even $_} (0..10)];
    ©
    ©
    © # sub square {$n=shift;$n**2;};
    © sub square {(shift)**2;};
    © print Dumper [ map {square($_)} (0..10)];
    ©
    © # the codes above showcase some syntax
    © # variations commonly found in perl code
    © # base
    ©
    © -------------------------
    ©
    © # in Mathematica for example, filter is
    © # akin to Apply and map is MapThread.
    © # The standard Map can be applied
    © # according to a level spec of trees
    © # and there's also MapAt, Nest,
    © # NestList...any many more powerful
    © # functions that manipulates trees.
    © # lisp languages often have a subset
    © # of it.
    ©
    © ----------------------------
    © Note: this post is from the Perl-Python
    © a-day mailing list at
    © http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perl-python/
    © to subscribe, send an email to
    © if
    © you are reading it on a web page,
    © program examples may not run because
    © html conversion often breaks the code.
    ©
    © Xah
    ©
    © http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

    Xah Lee, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Xah Lee wrote:
    > © Note: this post is from the Perl-Python
    > © a-day mailing list at
    > © http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perl-python/

    Is there any chance you could post these all as part of the same thread?
    That would be really nice for those of us who aren't interested --
    then we could just ignore the thread...

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve

    Steven Bethard, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Steven Bethard wrote:

    > Is there any chance you could post these all as part of the same thread?
    > That would be really nice for those of us who aren't interested --
    > then we could just ignore the thread...

    Or, better yet, not posting it at all. He's got his mailing list, what
    does he need to post it here for?

    Make it come down / Like molasses rain
    -- Sandra St. Victor

    Erik Max Francis, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Xah Lee

    Steve Holden Guest

    Erik Max Francis wrote:

    > Steven Bethard wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any chance you could post these all as part of the same
    >> thread? That would be really nice for those of us who aren't
    >> interested -- then we could just ignore the thread...

    You are looking for evidence of cluefulness where it seems unlikely to
    ever appear.

    > Or, better yet, not posting it at all. He's got his mailing list, what
    > does he need to post it here for?

    As I may have mentioned before, egotism can be the only possible reason.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Steven Bethard wrote :
    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >> © Note: this post is from the Perl-Python
    >> © a-day mailing list at
    >> © http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perl-python/

    > Is there any chance you could post these all as part of the same thread?
    > That would be really nice for those of us who aren't interested --
    > then we could just ignore the thread...

    I would appreciate that, too.
    But I fear this person doesn't even read the comments on his unwanted
    load.

    I guess I'll scorefile the "Subject" of these postings, too, to get rid of
    this.

    --
    Epur Si Muove (Gallileo Gallilei)

    Martin Kissner, Jan 17, 2005
  6. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Xah Lee, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Xah Lee, Jan 17, 2005
  8. >>>>> "SH" == Steve Holden <> writes:

    SH> As I may have mentioned before, egotism can be the only
    SH> possible reason.

    Relevant links:

    "On Ignoring Trolls":
    http://www.xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/troll_ignorance.html
    "A Troll's Anthology":
    http://www.xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/troll_anthology.html

    He admits to being a troll, and he enjoys trolling. I suspect this
    thread was intended to stir up a flame war among Perl and Python
    users; all it's done is demonstrate how hopeless Xah is as a
    programmer even in a language he claims to be an expert in.

    Charlton

    --
    cwilbur at chromatico dot net
    cwilbur at mac dot com

    Charlton Wilbur, Jan 17, 2005
  9. Abigail wrote:
    > Steven Bethard () wrote on MMMMCLVII September
    > $$ Is there any chance you could post these all as part of the same
    > thread?
    >
    > Just killfile him, and stop replying. Remember, don't feed the trolls.

    True, except that he spreads lies about Perl and really bad code all over
    the place.
    If you don't tell people about how awful his skills are then they may
    actually mistake his incompetency for flaws in Perl.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 18, 2005
  10. Erik Max Francis <> wrote:
    > Steven Bethard wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any chance you could post these all as part of the same thread?
    >> That would be really nice for those of us who aren't interested --
    >> then we could just ignore the thread...

    > Or, better yet, not posting it at all. He's got his mailing list, what
    > does he need to post it here for?

    There isn't much point in trolling if you don't have an audience.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jan 18, 2005