[perl-python] Python documentation moronicities (continued)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    http://python.org/doc/2.4.1/lib/module-re.html
    http://python.org/doc/2.4.1/lib/node114.html

    ---------
    QUOTE
    The module defines several functions, constants, and an exception. Some
    of the functions are simplified versions of the full featured methods
    for compiled regular expressions. Most non-trivial applications always
    use the compiled form
    UNQUOTE

    What does a programer who wants to use regex gets out from this piece
    of motherfucking irrevalent drivel?

    ----------
    QUOTE
    compile(
    pattern[, flags])

    Compile a regular expression pattern into a regular expression object,
    which can be used for matching using its match() and search() methods,
    described below.

    The expression's behaviour can be modified by specifying a flags
    value. Values can be any of the following variables, combined using
    bitwise OR (the | operator).
    UNQUOTE

    What exactly is it fucking saying?

    I wanted to use regex to find & replace on text. I've read in a file.
    Trying to reading this fucking doc is a pain in the ass. What are these
    "flags"? Do i do

    re.compile(r'mypat','M') or
    re.compile(r'mypat',M)
    or perhaps
    re.compile(r'mypat',re.M)

    The M isn't a fucking variable. Why does the doc incompetently use that
    term?
    And what the **** is it unclearly meant by "OR" operator with the
    mother fucking bitwise jargon?

    All a person reading regex really wanted is to see how to use a string
    pattern and replace it with another. The fucking doc cannot be possibly
    fucking worsely written.

    **** the mother fucking coders in the IT industry.

    So, is
    re.compile(r'mypat','M')
    re.compile(r'mypat','MULTILINE')
    equivalent?

    and, by that fucking bitwise shit is it meant to say like
    re.compile(r'mypat','M'|'U')
    ?

    why cannot this piece of shit writing give a single example of usage?
    and motherfucking confusedly organized, with fucking variable terms the
    writer don't fucking understand, and meanwhile always trying to sound
    big asshole and don't stop at masturbation by mention a regex book and
    not hesitate to mention another language Perl. Fucking morons.

    for a exposition of IT's fucking stupid docs and their fuckhead coders,
    see:
    http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/xlali_skami_cukta.html

    a cleaned up account of this post will be appended to the above
    exposition.

    --------

    One final piece of advice here to sober up the fuckheads who are
    currently offended and defiant: you want to ask yourself this question:
    Can a seasoned programer, who is expert at least 2 languages, who is
    also a expert at Perl and knew regex well, and who has also read the
    official Python tutorial and has written at least 10 simple python
    programs over a span of a month, can such a person, who have not yet
    used regex in Python but now wants to use regex in Python and have just
    read the doc, must he, resort to many trial and error to see exactly
    what the doc is talking about?

    But, can this doc be (re-)written effectively and easily so that any
    programers needn't do trial'n'error post-reading?

    The answer to the questions are resounding yeses, you fucking asses.

    paypal me a hundred dollars and i'll rewrite the whole re doc in a few
    hours.

    **** you the standard IT morons. Excuse me for i didn't have time to
    write a more coherent and detailed analysis of the stupidities of the
    re doc.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html ☄

    Xah Lee, Apr 12, 2005

  2. I've had enough.

    *PLONK*
    --
    Michael Hoffman

    Michael Hoffman, Apr 12, 2005

  3. Xah Lee

    Joe Smith Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:

    > of motherf***ing irrevalent drivel?

    I am greatly amused.
    A troll impersonating Xah Lee has made xah look like a total moron.
    LOL

    Joe Smith, Apr 12, 2005
  4. # / 2005-04-12 03:25:33 -0700:
    > QUOTE
    > compile(
    > pattern[, flags])
    >
    > Compile a regular expression pattern into a regular expression object,
    > which can be used for matching using its match() and search() methods,
    > described below.
    >
    > The expression's behaviour can be modified by specifying a flags
    > value. Values can be any of the following variables, combined using
    > bitwise OR (the | operator).
    > UNQUOTE

    > And what the **** is it unclearly meant by "OR" operator with the
    > mother fucking bitwise jargon?

    "bitwise OR (the | operator)": it doesn't speak about an "OR
    operator", does it?

    > for a exposition of IT's fucking stupid docs and their fuckhead coders,
    > see:
    > http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/xlali_skami_cukta.html

    Interesting reading, I might send you a few of my pet peeves for
    inclusion.

    > you want to ask yourself this question:
    > Can a seasoned programer, who is expert at least 2 languages, who is
    > also a expert at Perl and knew regex well, and have just read the doc,
    > must he, resort to many trial and error to see exactly what the doc is
    > talking about?

    While I understand your frustration (I curse the same when I try to
    use the Python documentation), you are spoiling your message by
    the (IMNSHO well granted, but still) unhelpful profanity.

    Unfortunately, the python community seems to bathe in the
    misorganized half-documentation, see e. g.
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=python-list&m=111303919606261&w=2
    especially the reply that (as I read it) suggested reverse
    engineering as a viable alternative to documentation.

    You don't know, man. You don't KNOW.
    Cause you weren't THERE. http://bash.org/?255991

    Roman Neuhauser, Apr 12, 2005
  5. [Xah]
    > motherfucking ... fucking ... fucking ... fucking ... **** ... fucking
    > fucking ... fucking ... mother fucking ... fucking ... piece of shit ...
    > motherfucking ... fucking ... fucking ... big asshole ... masturbation ...
    > Fucking morons ... fucking stupid ... fuckhead coders ... fuckheads ...
    > you fucking asses.

    > paypal me a hundred dollars and i'll rewrite the whole re doc in a few
    > hours.

    Can we paypal you a hundred dollars to leave us alone? I'll pledge $10.
    Are there another nine people here who'll do the same?

    --
    Richie Hindle

    Richie Hindle, Apr 12, 2005
  6. > Can we paypal you a hundred dollars to leave us alone? I'll pledge $10.
    > Are there another nine people here who'll do the same?

    Me, me. I'm good for ten, too. The current euro-dollar exchange course makes
    that the price of a normal size McDonalds Menu - so sparing that makes me
    healthier both mentally and physically. Great deal.
    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch

    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Xah Lee

    Pokerface Guest

    Gotta say, is we let this man write the docs for us, they'll sure a
    sugar be more colorful than the ones we presently have, even if h
    doesn't manage to make them better.

    "The [insert relation]****ing Python interpreter is usually installe
    as /usr/local/bin/python on those g*dd*mn machines where it i
    available; putting /usr/local/bin in your ****ing Unix shell's searc
    path makes it possible to start it by typing the command python to th
    shell. F***er.

    --
    Pokerface:: Posted from Tactical Gamer - http://www.TacticalGamer.com :

    Pokerface, Apr 12, 2005
  8. Xah Lee

    rbt Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:

    > What does a programer who wants to use regex gets out from this piece
    > of motherf**king irrevalent drivel?

    Any resume that ever crosses my desk that includes 'Xah Lee' anywhere in
    the name will be automatically trashed.

    rbt, Apr 12, 2005
  9. Hi All--

    Richie Hindle wrote:

    > [Xah]
    > > motherfucking ... fucking ... fucking ... fucking ... **** ... fucking
    > > fucking ... fucking ... mother fucking ... fucking ... piece of shit ...
    > > motherfucking ... fucking ... fucking ... big asshole ... masturbation ...
    > > Fucking morons ... fucking stupid ... fuckhead coders ... fuckheads ...
    > > you fucking asses.

    > > paypal me a hundred dollars and i'll rewrite the whole re doc in a few
    > > hours.

    > Can we paypal you a hundred dollars to leave us alone? I'll pledge $10.
    > Are there another nine people here who'll do the same?

    Why don't we pay him $100 to re-write the PERL docs?

    Metta,
    Ivan
    Ivan Van Laningham
    God N Locomotive Works
    http://www.andi-holmes.com/
    Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
    Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

    Ivan Van Laningham, Apr 12, 2005
  10. On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:02:20 -0700, Joe Smith wrote:

    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >
    >> of motherf***ing irrevalent drivel?

    > I am greatly amused.
    > A troll impersonating Xah Lee has made xah look like a total moron. LOL

    "The fucking doc cannot be possibly fucking worsely written."

    This is very Xahish though, even if it's not him.

    It's right up there with "AND, the writting as usuall is fantastic
    incompetent."

    Richard Gration, Apr 12, 2005
  11. Xah Lee

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Joe Smith wrote:
    > Xah Lee wrote:
    >> of motherf***ing irrevalent drivel?

    > I am greatly amused.
    > A troll impersonating Xah Lee has made xah look like a total moron.
    > LOL

    Sorry, Joe, but why do you think this wasn't Xah?
    Every detail of the post is consistent with his
    recent postings.

    And a secondary, but purely rhetorical, question:
    how could the post have made him look like a moron
    when he already looked like one?

    Peter Hansen, Apr 12, 2005
  12. Peter Hansen wrote:

    > Joe Smith wrote:
    > > Xah Lee wrote:
    > >> of motherf***ing irrevalent drivel?

    > > I am greatly amused.
    > > A troll impersonating Xah Lee has made xah look like a total moron.
    > > LOL

    > Sorry, Joe, but why do you think this wasn't Xah?

    why do you think "Joe" and "Xah" are two different persons? ;-)

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Apr 12, 2005
  13. Xah Lee

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:
    > Peter Hansen wrote:
    >>Joe Smith wrote:

    >>>I am greatly amused.
    >>>A troll impersonating Xah Lee has made xah look like a total moron.
    >>>LOL

    >>Sorry, Joe, but why do you think this wasn't Xah?

    > why do you think "Joe" and "Xah" are two different persons? ;-)

    Because Joe writes properly, and concisely. ;-)

    Peter Hansen, Apr 12, 2005
  14. Xah Lee

    Gerrit Holl Guest

    Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
    > Richie Hindle wrote:
    > >
    > > [Xah]
    > > > motherfucking ... fucking ... fucking ... fucking ... **** ... fucking
    > > > fucking ... fucking ... mother fucking ... fucking ... piece of shit ...
    > > > motherfucking ... fucking ... fucking ... big asshole ... masturbation ...
    > > > Fucking morons ... fucking stupid ... fuckhead coders ... fuckheads ...
    > > > you fucking asses.

    > > > paypal me a hundred dollars and i'll rewrite the whole re doc in a few
    > > > hours.

    > > Can we paypal you a hundred dollars to leave us alone? I'll pledge $10.
    > > Are there another nine people here who'll do the same?

    > Why don't we pay him $100 to re-write the PERL docs?

    Interestingly, Richard Hindle's message was classified as ham by my
    spambayes, whereas your message was unsure. Could it be the
    second-to-last word doing it? (-;

    Gerrit.

    --
    Weather in Twenthe, Netherlands 12/04 19:55:
    13.0°C wind 2.2 m/s NNW (57 m above NAP)
    -Dwight David Eisenhower, January 17, 1961

    Gerrit Holl, Apr 12, 2005
  15. Xah Lee

    runes Guest

    Re: Python documentation moronicities (continued)

    > why cannot this piece of shit writing give a single example of usage?

    Actually, I can understand your frustration even if you should enhance
    your vocabulary slightly. I often struggle with the Python
    documnetation myself and I can't understand why a couple of examples
    are so hard to give. When I laernt PHP I used the resources at php.net
    exclusively, and that's because of the plenty of examples and the
    newbie friendlyness. Recently I struggled with the regex module and
    found the the documentation being close to worthless. I'm not a CS guy,
    I may have a harder fight grasping concepts. The re documentation, like
    much Python documentation seems to be written with other people than my
    kind in mind. Luckily I found this regex howto:
    http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/regex/ and that helped a lot. In
    addition, Mr. Magnus Lie Hetland coincidentally posted a question on
    this list that got answers that helped me out.
    (http://groups-beta.google.com/group...6ca66231d7f?q=Hetland&rnum=2#fc4c56ca66231d7f)

    runes, Apr 12, 2005
  16. Xah Lee

    John Machin Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:06:36 +0200, Roman Neuhauser
    <neuhauser+python-list#> wrote:

    > Unfortunately, the python community seems to bathe in the
    > misorganized half-documentation, see e. g.
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=python-list&m=111303919606261&w=2
    > especially the reply that (as I read it) suggested reverse
    > engineering as a viable alternative to documentation.

    As I read the reply, it was a smart-arse attempt at humour, a *PUN* on
    the word "list" (mailing list versus Python list). What I would call
    "introspection" (not "reverse engineering") was then suggested.

    Moreover, both of the concepts mentioned in the quoted thread
    (sequence.index() and the "in" operator) are IMESHO adequately
    documented.

    Do you have any examples of what you regard as "misorganized
    half-documentation"?

    Here's a puzzle for you: Where does this list appear? What's missing?

    "..., Mullender, Nagata, Ng, Oner, Oppelstrup, ..."

    John Machin, Apr 12, 2005
  17. Xah Lee

    John Machin Guest

    On 12 Apr 2005 15:06:30 -0700, "runes" <> wrote:

    >Luckily I found this regex howto:
    >http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/regex/ and that helped a lot.

    Luckily??? AMK's howto is pointed to by the 3rd paragraph of Section
    4.2.1 of the documentation that you are dissing:

    """
    A brief explanation of the format of regular expressions follows. For
    further information and a gentler presentation, consult the Regular
    Expression HOWTO, accessible from http://www.python.org/doc/howto/.
    """

    >In
    >addition, Mr. Magnus Lie Hetland coincidentally posted a question on
    >this list that got answers that helped me out.
    >(http://groups-beta.google.com/group...6ca66231d7f?q=Hetland&rnum=2#fc4c56ca66231d7f)

    The answers (paraphrased) were "read the [Xah-Lee-word]ing manual".
    I'm glad that you RTFMed, and that it helped you. You should do so
    more often.

    John Machin, Apr 12, 2005
  18. Xah Lee

    runes Guest

    Re: Python documentation moronicities (continued)

    Thank you for being so friendly!

    I found the Howto through Google. Somehow I didn't see that link in the
    documentation.

    And please do not make any assumptions about my reading of manuals.

    runes, Apr 12, 2005
  19. Xah Lee

    Guest

    In comp.lang.perl.misc Xah Lee <> wrote:
    > The answer to the questions are resounding yeses, you fucking asses.

    > paypal me a hundred dollars and i'll rewrite the whole re doc in a few
    > hours.

    > **** you the standard IT morons. Excuse me for i didn't have time to
    > write a more coherent and detailed analysis of the stupidities of the
    > re doc.

    Don't worry! Very soon, some nice men in white coats will show you
    a comfortable room with soft walls in which you can write such
    documentation to your hearts content.

    Axel

    , Apr 13, 2005
  20. Xah Lee

    Guest

    Re: Python documentation moronicities (continued)

    I sympathize with you and also think there should be an "add comment" in
    the Python documentation website, so that users could post their code
    snippets in the relevant places.