    --
    ---------------
    Mark M. Reed
    Mark Reed, Jul 8, 2003

  2. This sounds like an easy job for a small database. You could store the
    fields in a flat file, Berkeley DB, or RDBMS.

    Fields could include:
    * Dish name
    * Dish description
    * Dish price
    * Special prices, times, etc.
    * Menu section

    I'm sure it will get a little more complicated than I am making it out to
    be, but I don't see that it would be very difficult to whip up a quick and
    dirty DB and access it via Perl.

    Barrett Clark, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Mark Reed

    John D Guest

    Mark Reed <> wrote in message news:<Xns93B1C8BA3E302mreedreedassociatesc@216.168.3.44>...
    > Does anyone have a perl script that can be used to manage an online
    > restaurant menu?
    >
    > Im looking for examples to study and cant find any on the net at the
    > popular archives.
    >
    > thanks

    Please take a shot at it and we can help you out with any perl
    probelms you may encounter.

    A little more definition might help also.
    "Manage an online resteraunt menu"
    -do you want code to run an online store?
    -do you want code to display a menu only
    -do you want a page to be displayed based upon a database
    (implying a method to maintain the database entries)
    -do you have experience with databases, cgi, javascript and web
    servers?

    Good luck
    JD
    John D, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Mark Reed

    Mark Reed Guest

    Im basically looking for the ability to have one public page where it
    displays the menu by category. For example:

    Appetizers-----
    item 1 description Price
    item 2 etc...

    Lunch
    Item 1 etc...

    it would be a simple display of a restaurants menu.

    The second part would be an admin back end where the restaurant owner can
    manage the menu - add items, change items, delete items... etc..

    The only experience i have with Perl or MySql is setting up canned
    scripts from the net - and after searching everywhere, to my surprise, I
    cannot find any canned scripts for this.

    Where would you suggest I start? I assume a book on Perl basics, or
    would PHP be better for this?

    thanks

    mmr

    (John D) wrote in