Perl script as Windows service fails to run

Jeffery Jones

I have set up Perl scripts to run as a service on about 5 other
machines using SRVANY.exe, etc. They have all worked fine in the
past. On a new machine, Windows 2000, SP4, with the latest Perl
version 5.8.8.817, the script apparently never executes. Substituting
a simple script also doesn't execute because nothing is written to the
test file.

- Other executables (such as cmd.exe) run fine as the service, but
they cannot start Perl and the script.
- Substituting wperl.exe also doesn't help.

There are no errors shown from the service manager or in the event
logs when the service is started.

I've tried running the service under the SYSTEM account.

I've tried downgrading to 5.8.7 with no success. (This version
runs scripts as a service on other machines).

Has anyone seen a similar problem, and what was the solution?

Kevin Sproule

Jeffery Jones said:
I have set up Perl scripts to run as a service on about 5 other
machines using SRVANY.exe, etc. They have all worked fine in the
past. On a new machine, Windows 2000, SP4, with the latest Perl
version 5.8.8.817, the script apparently never executes. Substituting
a simple script also doesn't execute because nothing is written to the
test file.

- Other executables (such as cmd.exe) run fine as the service, but
they cannot start Perl and the script.
- Substituting wperl.exe also doesn't help.

There are no errors shown from the service manager or in the event
logs when the service is started.

I've tried running the service under the SYSTEM account.

I've tried downgrading to 5.8.7 with no success. (This version
runs scripts as a service on other machines).

Has anyone seen a similar problem, and what was the solution?

Jeffery,

Have included the path to the Perl bin folder in the PATH environment
variable? eg . ...;c:\perl\bin

Kevin Sproule

robic0

Jeffery,

Have included the path to the Perl bin folder in the PATH environment
variable? eg . ...;c:\perl\bin

Kevin Sproule
hahahahahahaaaa, now why would he need that ???????????
jeeezz, kill me now ..............

Jeffery Jones

Have included the path to the Perl bin folder in the PATH environment
variable? eg . ...;c:\perl\bin

I've checked and the global environment path variable includes the
Perl bin folder.