    but when clicked you get the 404 error.
    Anybody PLEASE HELP
    Robert

    Robert, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Robert <> wrote:

    > Well Thanks for nothing

    So long then.

    *plonk*

    > why take time to provide a stupid answer

    You reap what you sow.

    [ snip TOFU ]

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Robert <> wrote:

    > Any help on this would be great since its

    What "it" is it that you are referring to?

    We are expected to know what is wrong with it without even
    knowing what "it" it is?

    You seem to have absurd expectations.

    > a free script there is no support.

    You got what you paid for.

    > The script
    > should create a html file on the fly but it won't.

    It probably has a bug in it then.

    > The script is one of
    > those post card scripts

    But we have to guess which one of the many it is?

    > that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
    > works fine except for the card creation.

    Carefully examine the part of the code that creates the card then.

    You will need to do this part yourself, since you are the only
    one who knows what code you are talking about.

    What code are you talking about?

    > Anybody PLEASE HELP

    You are joking, right?

    Tad McClellan, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Robert

    Keith Keller Guest

    Keith Keller, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Robert

    Robert Guest

    The first post tells what it is unless your definition of it is not the
    normal one

    Robert, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Robert

    Sam Holden Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:31:04 GMT, Robert <> wrote:
    > **** you then

    Good luck finding somewhere else to get perl help.

    [snip TOFU]

    --
    Sam Holden

    Sam Holden, Jul 8, 2003
  7. Robert wrote:

    > The first post tells what it is unless your definition of it is not the
    > normal one

    <snip rest of post>

    Look, Robert, no one here is getting paid to help you out. If you look
    at *any* of the other questions posted here, you'll notice that they all
    give some kind of hint as to where the problem is. The only hint we get
    off you is "all works fine except for the card creation". Now, how on
    earth is anyone supposed to be able to help with such little information?

    It's like saying "I've got this car and I can't start it." There's no
    useful information there at all.

    Do you know any Perl? If not, I would suggest trying to get in touch
    with the author of the script. They might be more forthcoming. I'm
    hoping they'll have more of a clue about what you are asking.

    HTH

    Paul

    Paul Boardman, Jul 8, 2003
  8. (Tad McClellan) writes:

    > Robert <> wrote:
    >
    > > **** you then

    > You do not seem to be the intellectual type.

    But he might be good in bed, or useful to open jars.

    Charlton

    Charlton Wilbur, Jul 8, 2003
  9. Robert

    The Sender Guest

    At some time in the past Robert wrote :

    > Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no
    > support. I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions.
    > The script should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script
    > is one of those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the
    > card. All works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends
    > contains a link but when clicked you get the 404 error.
    > Anybody PLEASE HELP
    > Robert

    Assuming you've recovered from your flaming, have you got this to function
    yet? If not then put on your fireproof suit and provide us with some more
    information please. In the meantime...

    Well, the obvious thing here is to provide more information and also check
    that the URL that is generated / used is in fact correct. I assume the page
    is generated at click time and not when the postcard is created?

    What happens when you use:

    perl -wT postcard.pl

    --
    Regards,

    William

    The Sender, Jul 8, 2003
  10. "Robert" <> writes:
    > Well finally some useful info. What first pissed me off was the very
    > first response. Then others felt the need to jump in and continue to
    > piss me off. I on the other hand asked a open honest question.

    There are Posting Guidelines that are posted to this newsgroup
    regularly. You really should read them first, before posting. One of
    the most important guidelines is this:

    * Nobody can help you if you don't post code.

    The second most important one is:

    * Post the absolutely smallest amount of code required to reproduce
    the problem. If you post a 5000 line program, nobody will want to
    read it and dissect it for you (unless you're willing to offer a
    contract, and I go for $150/hr, two hour minimum paid in advance).

    Your "open, honest question" can be summed up as, "Something's wrong.
    I don't know what. What's the problem?" You may like it or not, but
    that approach is very frustrating, and gives nobody any information
    that we can actually use to help.

    > Any way thanks all for the flaming.

    The point of the "syntax error on line 17" and the like is to point
    out that you haven't shown us any code.

    > It takes way more than this little tit for tat to hurt my feelings.

    Nobody's trying to hurt your feelings; I think the most that anyone
    wants is for you to learn the rules before you try to ask questions.

    > Anyway I have not figured out what is wrong yet. But to answer your
    > question the card is generated when you click the preview button
    > when you click send the card should be created and an e-mail sent.

    That says nothing useful at all. We don't know what the code that
    generates this "preview" button, I personally can't tell if you're
    supposed to click 'send' before or after clicking 'preview', and
    nobody knows how the card is created, or the email sent.

    This description is useless in helping anyone discover what is going
    on, much less what is going wrong.

    > The last screen is a confirmation with what appears to be a properly
    > formatted URL but there is no page created thus resulting in the 404
    > error.

    And this means... what, exactly? I can come up with at least three
    valid interpretations off the top of my head, and I honestly can't
    tell which one you meant. Nor can anyone else, I wager.

    > Scripts are enabled on my server and according to my web host the
    > directory permissions should allow the file to be written to the
    > server.

    What directory? What file? What server? You've said *nothing* with
    this sentence.

    > In another more friendly group we discussed permissions and this is the
    > text.

    What is the text?

    > So I am not sure where to go from here. I run the site as a hobby
    > and get a good number of visits. I just thought this would be a
    > little neat thing to have.

    What would be a 'little neat thing to have'? Nobody yet has any idea
    what you're trying to do, how you're trying to do it, or if anything
    even makes sense.

    > Thanks again
    > And to all the aholes out there keep it tight!!

    You know, the 'aholes' you refer to have collectively more published
    Perl books than probably anyone else (and theirs are better-reviewed,
    as well). Good job pissing them off. I'm not even inclined to help
    myself, other than to point out exactly how you went wrong in the
    first place.

    -=Eric

    Eric Schwartz, Jul 8, 2003
  11. Robert

    Keith Keller Guest

    Keith Keller, Jul 8, 2003
  12. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Well I thought that who ever wanted to offer advice would first say
    something to the effect "Would line to help send more info"
    and we would go from there as for pissing people off hey somebody started it
    but it wasn't me.
    As it turns out the issue seems be permissions on the server
    Thanks for the help.

    "Keith Keller" <-francisco.ca.us> wrote in message

    Robert, Jul 9, 2003