Perl Script Problems

Robert

Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no support.
I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions. The script
should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script is one of
those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends contains a link
but when clicked you get the 404 error.
Anybody PLEASE HELP
Robert

Tad McClellan

Robert said:
Any help on this would be great since its

What "it" is it that you are referring to?

We are expected to know what is wrong with it without even
knowing what "it" it is?

You seem to have absurd expectations.

a free script there is no support.

You got what you paid for.

The script
should create a html file on the fly but it won't.

It probably has a bug in it then.

The script is one of
those post card scripts

But we have to guess which one of the many it is?

that sends an e-mail and a link to the card. All
works fine except for the card creation.

Carefully examine the part of the code that creates the card then.

You will need to do this part yourself, since you are the only
one who knows what code you are talking about.

What code are you talking about?

Anybody PLEASE HELP

You are joking, right?

Keith Keller

Robert

The first post tells what it is unless your definition of it is not the
normal one

Paul Boardman

Robert said:
The first post tells what it is unless your definition of it is not the
normal one

<snip rest of post>

Look, Robert, no one here is getting paid to help you out. If you look
at *any* of the other questions posted here, you'll notice that they all
give some kind of hint as to where the problem is. The only hint we get
off you is "all works fine except for the card creation". Now, how on
earth is anyone supposed to be able to help with such little information?

It's like saying "I've got this car and I can't start it." There's no
useful information there at all.

Do you know any Perl? If not, I would suggest trying to get in touch
with the author of the script. They might be more forthcoming. I'm
hoping they'll have more of a clue about what you are asking.

HTH

Paul

The Sender

At some time in the past Robert wrote :
Any help on this would be great since its a free script there is no
support. I have a website on a win2k server running MSFP 2002 extensions.
The script should create a html file on the fly but it won't. The script
is one of those post card scripts that sends an e-mail and a link to the
card. All works fine except for the card creation. The e-mail it sends
contains a link but when clicked you get the 404 error.
Anybody PLEASE HELP
Robert

Assuming you've recovered from your flaming, have you got this to function
yet? If not then put on your fireproof suit and provide us with some more
information please. In the meantime...

Well, the obvious thing here is to provide more information and also check
that the URL that is generated / used is in fact correct. I assume the page
is generated at click time and not when the postcard is created?

What happens when you use:

perl -wT postcard.pl

Eric Schwartz

Robert said:
Well finally some useful info. What first pissed me off was the very
first response. Then others felt the need to jump in and continue to
piss me off. I on the other hand asked a open honest question.

There are Posting Guidelines that are posted to this newsgroup
regularly. You really should read them first, before posting. One of
the most important guidelines is this:

* Nobody can help you if you don't post code.

The second most important one is:

* Post the absolutely smallest amount of code required to reproduce
the problem. If you post a 5000 line program, nobody will want to
read it and dissect it for you (unless you're willing to offer a
contract, and I go for $150/hr, two hour minimum paid in advance).

Your "open, honest question" can be summed up as, "Something's wrong.
I don't know what. What's the problem?" You may like it or not, but
that approach is very frustrating, and gives nobody any information
that we can actually use to help.
Any way thanks all for the flaming.

The point of the "syntax error on line 17" and the like is to point
out that you haven't shown us any code.
It takes way more than this little tit for tat to hurt my feelings.

Nobody's trying to hurt your feelings; I think the most that anyone
wants is for you to learn the rules before you try to ask questions.
Anyway I have not figured out what is wrong yet. But to answer your
question the card is generated when you click the preview button
when you click send the card should be created and an e-mail sent.

That says nothing useful at all. We don't know what the code that
generates this "preview" button, I personally can't tell if you're
supposed to click 'send' before or after clicking 'preview', and
nobody knows how the card is created, or the email sent.

This description is useless in helping anyone discover what is going
on, much less what is going wrong.
The last screen is a confirmation with what appears to be a properly
formatted URL but there is no page created thus resulting in the 404
error.

And this means... what, exactly? I can come up with at least three
valid interpretations off the top of my head, and I honestly can't
tell which one you meant. Nor can anyone else, I wager.
Scripts are enabled on my server and according to my web host the
directory permissions should allow the file to be written to the
server.

What directory? What file? What server? You've said *nothing* with
this sentence.
In another more friendly group we discussed permissions and this is the
text.

What is the text?
So I am not sure where to go from here. I run the site as a hobby
and get a good number of visits. I just thought this would be a
little neat thing to have.

What would be a 'little neat thing to have'? Nobody yet has any idea
what you're trying to do, how you're trying to do it, or if anything
even makes sense.
Thanks again
And to all the aholes out there keep it tight!!

You know, the 'aholes' you refer to have collectively more published
Perl books than probably anyone else (and theirs are better-reviewed,
as well). Good job pissing them off. I'm not even inclined to help
myself, other than to point out exactly how you went wrong in the
first place.

-=Eric

Keith Keller

Robert

Well I thought that who ever wanted to offer advice would first say
something to the effect "Would line to help send more info"
and we would go from there as for pissing people off hey somebody started it
but it wasn't me.
As it turns out the issue seems be permissions on the server
Thanks for the help.