Perl script to identify corrupt mbox messages?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Tuxedo, Jun 14, 2007.

  1. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    I'm trying to repair a gigantic mbox file that appears to have been
    corrupted in that it displays only 17 of the most recent and total 3087
    messages contained in the actual file.

    The mail application used is Mozilla on Windows. The exact same error
    occurs in all Mozilla applications I tested the file with, i.e. the full
    Mozilla suite, the most recent Seamonkey and the stand-alone Thunderbird.

    The identical error also happens when testing the mbox in Mozilla
    Thunderbird on a Linux system.

    I've tried to fix the error by manually removing the message just before
    the first message shown in the index, but this does not seem to be the
    (only) position of the culprit. The same mbox works entirely when viewed in
    for example MUTT or the standard KDE mail client, Kmail. In other words,
    the error may partly be attributed to how Mozilla parses it's own mbox and
    partly to any incorrectly formatted messages. Perhaps there are several
    incorrectly formatted messages, in the form of junk mail, which have been
    intentionally or not crafted to currupt standard mbox files within Mozilla.

    Does anyone have or know of a perl script that traverses through an mbox
    file and that can identify incorrectly formatted mail messages within?

    Tuxedo

    --
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the
    usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody
    Tuxedo, Jun 14, 2007

  2. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Glenn Jackman wrote:

    [...]

    > Make sure that supposedly empty lines are in fact empty (no stray spaces
    > or carriage returns). Check for the proper existence of /^From / lines
    > following a blank line (except for the first line of the mbox) which are
    > the indicator for a message in an mbox file.

    Many thanks for those pointers!
    Tuxedo, Jun 14, 2007

  3. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Petr Vileta wrote:

    [...]

    > You can try my freeware Tbird2OE (use google). This program is not primary
    > mean for recovery mbox file but if this will work and will create more
    > then 17 files then I can send you part of Perl code for read and parse
    > mbox file.

    Ok, thanks. Your program converts folders from mbox format to separate .eml
    messages. I will try that to see if it recognizes all 3000+ messages in the
    mbox. With a bit of luck, it might be possible to use Mozilla's built in
    function to re-import the messages and perhaps the new folder will be fixed.
    Tuxedo, Jun 15, 2007
  4. Tuxedo

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Tuxedo schreef:

    > I'm trying to repair a gigantic mbox file that appears to have been
    > corrupted in that it displays only 17 of the most recent and total
    > 3087 messages contained in the actual file.

    Consider formail, it is on about every *ix system.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Jun 15, 2007
  5. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    > Consider formail, it is on about every *ix system.

    Sounds good but unfortunately the mbox belongs to a company which would not
    consider anything better than their crap Windows system!
    Tuxedo, Jun 15, 2007
  6. Tuxedo

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Tuxedo schreef:
    > [attribution repaired] Ruud:

    >> Consider formail, it is on about every *ix system.

    > Sounds good but unfortunately the mbox belongs to a company which
    > would not consider anything better than their crap Windows system!

    Well, you could still move the file to a different system, or add
    cygwin.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Jun 15, 2007
  7. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Dr.Ruud wrote:

    > Tuxedo schreef:
    > > [attribution repaired] Ruud:

    > >> Consider formail, it is on about every *ix system.

    > > Sounds good but unfortunately the mbox belongs to a company which
    > > would not consider anything better than their crap Windows system!

    > Well, you could still move the file to a different system, or add
    > cygwin.

    True, but the file still needs to be parsed by the Mozilla application
    running on a Windows system. In fact, the exact same error occurs on a
    Linux system when placing the mbox in the Mozilla mail directory.
    Tuxedo, Jun 15, 2007
  8. Tuxedo

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Tuxedo schreef:
    > Dr.Ruud:
    >> Tuxedo:
    >>> [attribution repaired] Ruud:

    >>> Sounds good but unfortunately the mbox belongs to a company which
    >>> would not consider anything better than their crap Windows system!

    >> Well, you could still move the file to a different system, or add
    >> cygwin.

    > True, but the file still needs to be parsed by the Mozilla application
    > running on a Windows system. In fact, the exact same error occurs on a
    > Linux system when placing the mbox in the Mozilla mail directory.

    Use formail to repair the file, is why I suggested it.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Jun 16, 2007
  9. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Dr.Ruud wrote:

    [...]

    > Use formail to repair the file, is why I suggested it.

    My mistake, and thanks for the tip! I was not familiar with 'formail'
    before. This interesting utility is indeed is on my Linux system. But
    having neither a remote idea what error(s) the original mailbox may
    contain, nor being familiar with formail, it is a bit complicated to guess
    how to best process it. Nevertheless, I tried the following examples:

    formail -ds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox

    .... this certainly made some changes, in fact, 10 or so additional messages
    appear in the Mozilla index which did not show up earlier, including a
    couple without a valid sender which are now listed by Mozilla as from
    foo@bar, but which appear to be file fragments, i.e. not real mail.

    Most of the 3000+ messages, however, still do not show up in Mozilla.

    So I tried: ...
    formail -zds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox
    ... but this made the file no more readable in Mozilla than the previous try.

    and ...
    formail -rds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox
    ... but with the same result as the former try.

    Naturally I removed the generated (.msf) index files as well as terminated
    the Mozilla application between the tries, in case something would get
    cached otherwise.

    The Mozilla application simply appears to be choking on the mbox while
    building the index. The progress bar is helplessly trying to move forward,
    but then falls back, then forward a bit, and then back again, until it
    finally gives up. In other words, the graphical indicator at the bottom
    right of the application, which is meant to indicate the progress of
    building the index, never reaches its maximum.

    Perhaps the mbox contains some very odd characters, maybe part of some
    attachment, which causes Mozilla but not other mail clients to choke.
    Perhaps it is the result of some malformatted mail circulating via zoombie
    machines, Outlook and whatever, that affects Mozilla on multiple platforms.
    Tuxedo, Jun 16, 2007
  10. On 2007-06-14 14:06, Tuxedo <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to repair a gigantic mbox file that appears to have been
    > corrupted in that it displays only 17 of the most recent and total 3087
    > messages contained in the actual file.
    >
    > The mail application used is Mozilla on Windows.

    [...]
    > The same mbox works entirely when viewed in for example MUTT or the
    > standard KDE mail client, Kmail.

    Have you tried copying all messages to a new mbox file with mutt or
    kmail and then reading the new mbox file with Mozilla?

    hp

    | | | |
    Peter J. Holzer, Jun 16, 2007
  11. Tuxedo

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 06/16/2007 02:24 AM, Tuxedo wrote:
    > [...]
    > formail -ds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox
    >
    > .... this certainly made some changes, in fact, 10 or so additional messages
    > appear in the Mozilla index which did not show up earlier, including a
    > couple without a valid sender which are now listed by Mozilla as from
    > foo@bar, but which appear to be file fragments, i.e. not real mail.
    >
    > Most of the 3000+ messages, however, still do not show up in Mozilla.
    >
    > So I tried: ...
    > formail -zds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox
    > ... but this made the file no more readable in Mozilla than the previous try.
    >
    > and ...
    > formail -rds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox
    > ... but with the same result as the former try.
    >
    > Naturally I removed the generated (.msf) index files as well as terminated
    > the Mozilla application between the tries, in case something would get
    > cached otherwise.
    >
    > The Mozilla application simply appears to be choking on the mbox while
    > building the index. The progress bar is helplessly trying to move forward,
    > but then falls back, then forward a bit, and then back again, until it
    > finally gives up. In other words, the graphical indicator at the bottom
    > right of the application, which is meant to indicate the progress of
    > building the index, never reaches its maximum.
    >
    > Perhaps the mbox contains some very odd characters, maybe part of some
    > attachment, which causes Mozilla but not other mail clients to choke.
    > Perhaps it is the result of some malformatted mail circulating via zoombie
    > machines, Outlook and whatever, that affects Mozilla on multiple platforms.

    Research the problem with the help of this website:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/

    In particular, this article may (or may not) be of help:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Inbox_stays_blank

    Here is a script that, might improve things a little bit:

    use strict;
    use warnings;
    require FileHandle;
    require Email::Folder;
    require Date::parse;
    require POSIX;
    Date::parse->import('str2time');
    POSIX->import('ctime');

    my $file = glob('~/tmp/mozmail/OldTests');
    my $outfile = 'output.mbox';

    my $fh = FileHandle->new($outfile, '>') or die("Stop: $!");
    my $folder = Email::Folder->new($file);

    my $count = 0;
    while (my $msg = $folder->next_message) {
    my $date = $msg->header('Date');
    $date = ctime(str2time($date)); chomp $date;
    $fh->print("From - $date\n");
    $fh->print($msg->as_string() . "\n");
    $count++;
    }
    print "There are $count messages in the folder.\n";

    $fh->close;

    Email::Folder and Date::parse are modules you can download from CPAN.
    The other modules are standard parts of Perl. You should change $file
    and $outfile as appropriate. You shouldn't modify the original mailbox file.

    Probably, you'll not need the script. Things should improve after you've
    deleted the .msf (index) file and closed an reopened Mozilla.

    (Followups set to alt.fan.mozilla)
    Mumia W., Jun 16, 2007
  12. Tuxedo

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Tuxedo schreef:
    > Dr.Ruud:

    >> Use formail to repair the file, is why I suggested it.

    > This interesting utility is indeed is on my Linux system. But
    > having neither a remote idea what error(s) the original mailbox may
    > contain, nor being familiar with formail, it is a bit complicated to
    > guess how to best process it. Nevertheless, I tried the following
    > examples:
    >
    > formail -ds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox
    >
    > ... this certainly made some changes, in fact, 10 or so additional
    > messages appear in the Mozilla index which did not show up earlier,
    > including a couple without a valid sender which are now listed by
    > Mozilla as from foo@bar, but which appear to be file fragments, i.e.
    > not real mail.

    I assume that you want to find out at which message the problem starts
    and at which line in the mbox file that is, and start fixing from there.

    Be careful not to introduce extra problemes with the move of the mbox
    file from the Windows to the Linux system (maybe you should do a
    dos2unix on the file, and then maybe you shouldn't, formail will DWIM).

    You can use formail together with procmail to convert from mbox to
    maildir format (the one file per message in new/ cur/ tmp/ structure)
    like this:

    formail -defYz \
    -s procmail -m VERBOSE=yes DEFAULT="test_maildir/" /dev/null <
    crappy.mbx

    (the "test_maildir/" will be created in the user's $HOME, include
    MAILDIR="/some/path" to redirect)

    The "-defYz" just lists all interesting options for this case, change at
    will, see man formail.

    From the maildir structure you should be able to find out at which
    message the split up breaks.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."
    Dr.Ruud, Jun 16, 2007
  13. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Peter J. Holzer wrote:

    > On 2007-06-14 14:06, Tuxedo <> wrote:
    > > I'm trying to repair a gigantic mbox file that appears to have been
    > > corrupted in that it displays only 17 of the most recent and total 3087
    > > messages contained in the actual file.
    > >
    > > The mail application used is Mozilla on Windows.

    > [...]
    > > The same mbox works entirely when viewed in for example MUTT or the
    > > standard KDE mail client, Kmail.

    > Have you tried copying all messages to a new mbox file with mutt or
    > kmail and then reading the new mbox file with Mozilla?

    Yes that was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work :-(

    I assume therefore that that some crummy characters are contained within
    one or more messages, or/and in headers, which somehow cause the Mozilla to
    choke, and so whatever conversion is done is simply carried forward.

    The file, coming from Windows appeared to have been in DOS format. I've
    un-DOS'ed it, awk-splitted each individual message, re-combed with the
    proper empty line, followed by a ^From occurance, but without luck.

    The file is around 150 MB and I wish I could post the entire mbox here, but
    its not mine to distribute, and it surely contains much private
    communication. Maybe there is a way to encode the entire content into
    Mozilla safe characters as this is obviously a Mozilla bug.
    Tuxedo, Jun 16, 2007
  14. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:

> [...]

    > my $fh = FileHandle->new($outfile, '>') or die("Stop: $!");
    > my $folder = Email::Folder->new($file);
    >
    > my $count = 0;
    > while (my $msg = $folder->next_message) {
    > my $date = $msg->header('Date');
    > $date = ctime(str2time($date)); chomp $date;
    > $fh->print("From - $date\n");
    > $fh->print($msg->as_string() . "\n");
    > $count++;
    > }
    > print "There are $count messages in the folder.\n";
    >
    > $fh->close;
    >
    > Email::Folder and Date::parse are modules you can download from CPAN.
    > The other modules are standard parts of Perl. You should change $file
    > and $outfile as appropriate. You shouldn't modify the original mailbox
    > file.
    >
    > Probably, you'll not need the script. Things should improve after you've
    > deleted the .msf (index) file and closed an reopened Mozilla.

    Excellent! However, the problem does not want to be so easily solved. It
    was no problem getting the above script running with the 2 up-to-date and
    non-standard modules, and after having saved the script, as fixbox.pl, I
    sucessfully tested it on a small mbox file containing only 3 messages.

    However, with the real file, and when using a 2GH notebook with 512MB
    memory and Perl 5.8.7, munching through the approximately 150MB mbox, the
    above script (or the shell) returned: "Out of Memory!". The resulting
    'output.mbox' file remained empty.

    Personally, I'm not a fan of Mozilla mail, and looking a bit closer, I
    could not find a solution to this particular issue on kb.mozillazine.org,
    either. The problematic mailbox is someone's else. I'm seriously
    contemplating telling them to: 1) abandon Windows, 2) Mozilla mail.
    Tuxedo, Jun 16, 2007
  15. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Dr.Ruud wrote:

    > Tuxedo schreef:
    > > Dr.Ruud:

    > >> Use formail to repair the file, is why I suggested it.

    > > This interesting utility is indeed is on my Linux system. But
    > > having neither a remote idea what error(s) the original mailbox may
    > > contain, nor being familiar with formail, it is a bit complicated to
    > > guess how to best process it. Nevertheless, I tried the following
    > > examples:
    > >
    > > formail -ds <my_crappy_mbox >>reinvigorated_mbox
    > >
    > > ... this certainly made some changes, in fact, 10 or so additional
    > > messages appear in the Mozilla index which did not show up earlier,
    > > including a couple without a valid sender which are now listed by
    > > Mozilla as from foo@bar, but which appear to be file fragments, i.e.
    > > not real mail.

    > I assume that you want to find out at which message the problem starts
    > and at which line in the mbox file that is, and start fixing from there.

    Yes. If I only knew. I tried to split it up, delete sections and so on,
    only to find the problem appearing in many sections, but not knowing
    exactly where. The file is just too big to locate the error manually.

    > Be careful not to introduce extra problemes with the move of the mbox
    > file from the Windows to the Linux system (maybe you should do a
    > dos2unix on the file, and then maybe you shouldn't, formail will DWIM).
    >
    > You can use formail together with procmail to convert from mbox to
    > maildir format (the one file per message in new/ cur/ tmp/ structure)
    > like this:
    >
    > formail -defYz \
    > -s procmail -m VERBOSE=yes DEFAULT="test_maildir/" /dev/null <
    > crappy.mbx
    >
    > (the "test_maildir/" will be created in the user's $HOME, include
    > MAILDIR="/some/path" to redirect)
    >
    > The "-defYz" just lists all interesting options for this case, change at
    > will, see man formail.
    >
    > From the maildir structure you should be able to find out at which
    > message the split up breaks.

    Many thanks for all the tips, especially about formail. However, in this
    particular case, I will leave the problematic mbox to rest, because it is
    my ambition not to deal with anything from the Windows user space. In
    realising it is probably a 99% Mozilla bug, my solution became to simply
    transfer the file to a good old BSD mail server and let the file owner
    access it's content via Neomail - an exceptional perl program which handles
    mbox pop-mail via a no-frills web interface. I just tested that and the
    full mbox was read, as fine as it was in MUTT or another native *nix mailer.

    Sooner or later Mozilla developers will likely fix the bug, whatever it is.
    Tuxedo, Jun 16, 2007
  16. On 2007-06-16 09:57, Tuxedo <> wrote:
    > Peter J. Holzer wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-06-14 14:06, Tuxedo <> wrote:
    >> > I'm trying to repair a gigantic mbox file that appears to have been
    >> > corrupted in that it displays only 17 of the most recent and total 3087
    >> > messages contained in the actual file.
    >> >
    >> > The mail application used is Mozilla on Windows.

    >> [...]
    >> > The same mbox works entirely when viewed in for example MUTT or the
    >> > standard KDE mail client, Kmail.

    >> Have you tried copying all messages to a new mbox file with mutt or
    >> kmail and then reading the new mbox file with Mozilla?

    > Yes that was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work :-(
    >
    > I assume therefore that that some crummy characters are contained within
    > one or more messages, or/and in headers, which somehow cause the Mozilla to
    > choke, and so whatever conversion is done is simply carried forward.

    That sounds likely. I think the best way to identify the message(s) with
    the crummy characters is to split your big mail boy into a small number
    (at most 10 or so) of smaller mboxes. You can do that with formail or a
    perl (or awk) script or any text editor you find convenient. Then try to open
    each mbox. For each mbox which Mozilla cannot open, split it again,
    until you little mboxes with one bad message in each. Then you can check
    what they have in common.

    > The file, coming from Windows appeared to have been in DOS format. I've
    > un-DOS'ed it, awk-splitted each individual message, re-combed with the
    > proper empty line, followed by a ^From occurance, but without luck.
    >
    > The file is around 150 MB and I wish I could post the entire mbox here, but
    > its not mine to distribute, and it surely contains much private
    > communication. Maybe there is a way to encode the entire content into
    > Mozilla safe characters as this is obviously a Mozilla bug.

    Parsing each message with MIME::parser and then printing it out again
    may help. But I would hate to do that for a whole folder of 3000
    messages. It may or may not work and you still don't know the problem
    afterwards. Try to find the bad message(s) and convert only these. Then
    you also have a test case for bugreport for mozilla.

    hp

    | | | |
    Peter J. Holzer, Jun 16, 2007
  17. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Peter J. Holzer wrote:

    > On 2007-06-16 09:57, Tuxedo <> wrote:
    > > Peter J. Holzer wrote:

    > >> [...]
    > >>
    > >> Have you tried copying all messages to a new mbox file with mutt or
    > >> kmail and then reading the new mbox file with Mozilla?

    > > Yes that was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work :-(
    > >
    > > I assume therefore that that some crummy characters are contained within
    > > one or more messages, or/and in headers, which somehow cause the Mozilla
    > > to choke, and so whatever conversion is done is simply carried forward.

    > That sounds likely. I think the best way to identify the message(s) with
    > the crummy characters is to split your big mail boy into a small number
    > (at most 10 or so) of smaller mboxes. You can do that with formail or a
    > perl (or awk) script or any text editor you find convenient. Then try to
    > open each mbox. For each mbox which Mozilla cannot open, split it again,
    > until you little mboxes with one bad message in each. Then you can check
    > what they have in common.
    >

    > > The file, coming from Windows appeared to have been in DOS format. I've
    > > un-DOS'ed it, awk-splitted each individual message, re-combed with the
    > > proper empty line, followed by a ^From occurance, but without luck.
    > >
    > > The file is around 150 MB and I wish I could post the entire mbox here,
    > > but its not mine to distribute, and it surely contains much private
    > > communication. Maybe there is a way to encode the entire content into
    > > Mozilla safe characters as this is obviously a Mozilla bug.

    > Parsing each message with MIME::parser and then printing it out again
    > may help. But I would hate to do that for a whole folder of 3000
    > messages. It may or may not work and you still don't know the problem
    > afterwards. Try to find the bad message(s) and convert only these. Then
    > you also have a test case for bugreport for mozilla.

    That is certainly the best solution, but unfortunately it would set back to
    much time. I would however consider submitting the entire file, given
    permission by the file owner and without making it public, to someone who
    could identify, bugreport and potentially fix the problem.
    Tuxedo, Jun 16, 2007
  18. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Petr Vileta wrote:

    > Tuxedo wrote:
    > Waht my Tbird2OE? Helped you? I want to know the result ;-)

    Sorry, but unfortunately I did not get a chance to test your program,
    mainly due to time constraints. Also, I have a feeling that converting to
    mdir or eml and then back to mbox again will not work in that the cause
    will simply remain throughout the process and the problem will appear again
    in Mozilla. Instead, my solution has been to move the mbox to a unix system
    where the user can access it via a webmail interface. The mbox is
    completely readably on any mbox reader except Mozilla. Nevertheless, thanks
    for your kind advise! I have bookmarked your program and for another time.
    Tuxedo, Jun 17, 2007
  19. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Tuxedo wrote:

    > Petr Vileta wrote:
    >
    > > Tuxedo wrote:
    > > Waht my Tbird2OE? Helped you? I want to know the result ;-)
    > >

    > Sorry, but unfortunately I did not get a chance to test your program,

    Correction to above, I've now tested Tbird2OE with the following result:

    All messages which existed in the mbox format were succesfully imported
    into Outlook Express. In thereafter importing and converting the Outlook
    (eml) files back into the combined Mozilla mbox format, all messages were
    restored and show up in the newly created Mozilla index. In other words,
    Tbird2OE effectively repaired the mbox and circumvented whatever problem
    Mozilla, Seamonkey and Thunderbird has to parse an mbox containing certain
    buggy messages, or perhaps inconsistencies in how they were separated.

    Thank's a ton Petr for fixing the problem! I wish you all the best with
    your application, even if my particular purpose is not exactly what
    Tbird2OE was designed for.
    Tuxedo, Jun 17, 2007