Perl Script

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. wrote:
    > i'm very new at perl and need to do the following. write a script that
    > will

    [ job specification snipped ]

    > Any help will be appreciated.

    You seem to have two options:

    1) Start working!

    2) Hire a programmer that does the job for you.

    If you choose 1), you are welcome to ask for guidance here about
    specific problems that you may encounter. But please study the posting
    guidelines before you post next time.

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Guest

    i'm very new at perl and need to do the following. write a script that
    will periodically submit search queries (requests) to some websites. so
    basically, all these website has some interface which allows the user
    to specify some conditions (for example www.cars.com you can search for
    used car with specific model and year) and i need to keep the results
    locally at my machine. in addition, it seems that the return results
    using some frames and some of the websites has results that fit into
    many pages. so i need to get ALL the results.
    Any help will be appreciated.

    thanks,
    Michal

    , Mar 23, 2005

  3. <> wrote:

    > Subject: Perl Script

    Please put the subject of your article in the Subject of your article.

    *All* of the (on-topic) posts here are about Perl scripts.

    Your choice of subject adds no useful value.

    > i'm very new at perl and need to do the following. write a script that
    > will periodically submit search queries (requests) to some websites. so
    > basically, all these website has some interface which allows the user
    > to specify some conditions (for example www.cars.com you can search for
    > used car with specific model and year) and i need to keep the results
    > locally at my machine. in addition, it seems that the return results
    > using some frames and some of the websites has results that fit into
    > many pages. so i need to get ALL the results.

    OK, I don't see any problems doing what you've described using Perl.

    > Any help will be appreciated.

    We would be happy to help, but you did not ask a question.

    Did you mean to ask a question?

    What part are you stuck on?

    What code do you have written so far?

    If you have Perl code that is not working, post it here and we will
    help you fix it.

    Have you searched the Perl FAQ for relevant search terms?

    perldoc -q html

    How do I fetch an HTML file?

    How do I automate an HTML form submission?

    A useful tool that can write some of the required Perl code for you:

    Web Scraping Proxy

    http://www.research.att.com/~hpk/wsp/

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting