Perl Sendmail Question

Sean O'Dwyer

In trying to get bounces from bad e-mail addresses sent back to their
original sender instead of the server's admin -- this is a small
distributed content situation, not spam! -- I'm looking at getting
sendmail to send the original outgoing e-mail in the following way.
Instead of...

$mailprog = '/usr/lib/sendmail -t';

....in my script, I'd use...

$mailprog = "/usr/lib/sendmail -f myname\@mydomain.com -t";

Is this correct? And does the (e-mail address removed) address have to be a
"trusted user" on the server or can it be any e-mail address?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

James Willmore

In trying to get bounces from bad e-mail addresses sent back to
their original sender instead of the server's admin -- this is a
small distributed content situation, not spam! -- I'm looking at
getting sendmail to send the original outgoing e-mail in the
following way. Instead of...

$mailprog = '/usr/lib/sendmail -t';

...in my script, I'd use...

$mailprog = "/usr/lib/sendmail -f myname\@mydomain.com -t";

Is this correct? And does the (e-mail address removed) address have to be
a "trusted user" on the server or can it be any e-mail address?

This is more of a sendmail question (which is *not* Perl) than a Perl
question :)
Thanks in advance,

Just a suggestion ....
use one of the *many* email modules instead of using a system command
to sendmail. Then, you reduce the amount of issues you have sending
email.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Kin, n.: An affliction of the blood

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Sean said:
In trying to get bounces from bad e-mail addresses sent back to
their original sender instead of the server's admin -- this is a
small distributed content situation, not spam! -- I'm looking at
getting sendmail to send the original outgoing e-mail in the
following way.

<snip>

I don't know if you can control the return-path in the way you
describe. One thing I do know, and that may justify this topic in
clpmisc, is that by using the Perl module Mail::Sender you can easily
set the return-path.

A couple of years ago I too tried to do that when sending via
sendmail, but since I found the just mentioned method, I quit my attempts.

Tintin

Sean O'Dwyer said:
In trying to get bounces from bad e-mail addresses sent back to their
original sender instead of the server's admin -- this is a small
distributed content situation, not spam! -- I'm looking at getting
sendmail to send the original outgoing e-mail in the following way.
Instead of...

$mailprog = '/usr/lib/sendmail -t';

...in my script, I'd use...

$mailprog = "/usr/lib/sendmail -f myname\@mydomain.com -t";

Is this correct? And does the (e-mail address removed) address have to be a
"trusted user" on the server or can it be any e-mail address?

No Perl content here. Move on over to comp.mail.sendmail

Sean O'Dwyer

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
<snip>

I don't know if you can control the return-path in the way you
describe. One thing I do know, and that may justify this topic in
clpmisc, is that by using the Perl module Mail::Sender you can easily
set the return-path.

Thanks for your patience. I'll give that a try.

Sean