perl should be improved and perl6

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by jm, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. jm

    jm Guest

    perl provides good things and bad ones.

    In the good thing, such as:
    * it is adapted for text processing
    * it is poorly typed
    * it is enough powerful with unicode
    * provide arrays and hash and reference (and objects)
    * transparently manage any kind of numbers.
    * is C interfacable
    * has basic network and IPC possibilities
    * pack/unpack

    In the bad things, such as:
    * bytes/unicode confusion
    * stack overflow within bad regular expression
    * memory consumption (might be an issue when energy will be more expensive?)
    * insufficient typing
    * some portability issue, notably with function «system».
    * some $@% issues.
    * pack limitation: cannot just modify one byte.

    perl6 looks like a cleanup of perl, but I am wondering:

    how will memory be handled in perl6?
    how will bytes be handled in perl6?
    why perl6 encourages complex regex (as x become standard)?
    how will perl6 address portability issues?
    how will perl6 address IPC issues?

    jm, Apr 4, 2008

  2. jm

    Uri Guttman Guest

    j> perl provides good things and bad ones.
    j> In the good thing, such as:
    j> * it is adapted for text processing
    j> * it is poorly typed

    me thinks you don't understand typing well. perl actually has stronger
    typing than many langs. it just types on the variable type (scalar vs
    array vs hash) instead of the data type.

    j> * it is enough powerful with unicode
    j> * provide arrays and hash and reference (and objects)
    j> * transparently manage any kind of numbers.
    j> * is C interfacable
    j> * has basic network and IPC possibilities

    basic??? cpan has modules for almost every protocol out there and IPC
    support is all done too. you don't know perl well if you say this is basic.

    j> * pack/unpack

    that is a major part of perl? it is used but not that often by most
    coders.

    j> In the bad things, such as:
    j> * bytes/unicode confusion
    j> * stack overflow within bad regular expression

    huh?? then don't write bad regexes. most likely if it blows up in perl
    it will do worse in other langs.

    j> * memory consumption (might be an issue when energy will be more expensive?)
    what?? you are smoking very strange stuff. ram is cheap and always
    getting cheaper. cpu speed is the power hog.

    j> * insufficient typing

    again, you don't know what you are talking about.

    j> * some portability issue, notably with function «system».

    proof of the last comment. system is the way to call external
    programs. how could that POSSIBLY BE PORTABLE if the external programs
    vary from box to box?

    j> * some $@% issues.

    no, you have some issues.

    j> * pack limitation: cannot just modify one byte.

    huh??? pack doesn't modify anything. pack converts a list of values to a
    single buffer string. and the C format can pack a single byte.

    j> perl6 looks like a cleanup of perl, but I am wondering:

    j> how will memory be handled in perl6?

    just find with true gc.

    j> how will bytes be handled in perl6?

    with stone tablets.

    j> why perl6 encourages complex regex (as x become standard)?

    wtf are you babbling about? perl6 has grammars and rules which blow away
    all current regex engines. you need to read up on them. in fact you can
    use a bunch of it in perl5 now with cpan modules.

    j> how will perl6 address portability issues?

    what issues?

    j> how will perl6 address IPC issues?

    again, what issues? there are no IPC issues, other than your
    delusions. perl has fine IPC.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 4, 2008

  3. jm

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    jm schreef:

    > perl [...] is poorly typed

    By you? (Did you mean Perl by the way?)

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Apr 5, 2008
  4. jm

    Guest

    "V.Ronans" <> wrote:
    > Dr.Ruud wrote:
    > > jm schreef:
    > >
    > >> perl [...] is poorly typed

    > > By you? (Did you mean Perl by the way?)

    > Honestly, you know full well he was talking about the programming
    > language that pertains to this here news group, so feign ignorance? I
    > mean why is this even such an issue? Other places where people talk
    > about programming languages don't seem to care if it's all caps, first
    > only capitalized, or all lowercase, or what have you. I've seen Java,
    > java, and JAVA, cpp, C++, c++, c, C, python, PYTHON, cobol, Cobol,
    > COBOL, and the list goes on.
    >
    > So why make such a stink about something so damn trivial?

    Programming requires attention to detail. Well, good programming does,
    anyway.

    Xho

    this fact.

    , Apr 5, 2008
  5. jm

    Uri Guttman Guest

    VR> wrote:

    >>> Honestly, you know full well he was talking about the programming
    >>> language that pertains to this here news group, so feign ignorance? I
    >>> mean why is this even such an issue? Other places where people talk
    >>> about programming languages don't seem to care if it's all caps,
    >>> first only capitalized, or all lowercase, or what have you. I've
    >>> seen Java, java, and JAVA, cpp, C++, c++, c, C, python, PYTHON,
    >>> cobol, Cobol, COBOL, and the list goes on.
    >>>
    >>> So why make such a stink about something so damn trivial?

    >> Programming requires attention to detail. Well, good programming
    >> does, anyway.

    VR> Yes, when _programming_, not with geenral petty conversations, such
    VR> neither does this leg of the thread, but that because people like you
    VR> refuse to pull out your heads for some fresh air.

    oh please remove your own cranium from your rectum first. you don't seem
    to be a regular here and misspelling perl is a common thing among
    posters who also don't post according to this group's guidelines. it is
    even covered in an FAQ why perl is not an acronym. yes, colloquially
    perl and other langs can be in whatever case but seeing it wrong when it
    can be corrected is not the crime you make it out to be. so get yourself
    off this flame war now and shut up about it until you are someone who
    regularly answers questions here. the rule is no bitching about how
    others help here until you help regularly and well.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 6, 2008
  6. jm

    John Bokma Guest

    "V.Ronans" <> wrote:

    > Dr.Ruud wrote:
    >> jm schreef:
    >>
    >>> perl [...] is poorly typed

    >> By you? (Did you mean Perl by the way?)

    > Honestly, you know full well he was talking about the programming
    > language that pertains to this here news group, so feign ignorance? I
    > mean why is this even such an issue? Other places where people talk
    > about programming languages don't seem to care if it's all caps,

    There are already plenty of people who think PERL is an acronym (it's
    not), so "we" like to avoid PERL.

    Moreover, Perl is the programming language, and perl is the executable,
    hence there is a good reason to be case sensitive. Hence, perl [...] is
    poorly typed seems to refer to the executable, hence Dr. Ruud's question.

    --
    John

    http://johnbokma.com/perl/

    John Bokma, Apr 6, 2008
  7. jm

    John Bokma Guest

    "V.Ronans" <> wrote:

    > Yes, when _programming_, not with geenral petty conversations, such

    Yes they do:

    A perl programmer is not the same as a Perl programmer.
    A perl hacker is not the same as a Perl hacker.

    And as I already wrote, PERL misleads people, they see PERL, and they
    think it's an acronym.

    I also use it as a quick way to see if someone knows what he/she is
    talking about. Someone who claims to be a PERL programmer tells me that I
    probably never want to maintain his/her code.

    --
    John

    http://johnbokma.com/perl/

    John Bokma, Apr 6, 2008
  8. jm

    Gordon Etly Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > "V.Ronans" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dr.Ruud wrote:

    >>> By you? (Did you mean Perl by the way?)

    >> Honestly, you know full well he was talking about the programming
    >> language that pertains to this here news group, so feign ignorance? I
    >> mean why is this even such an issue? Other places where people talk
    >> about programming languages don't seem to care if it's all caps,

    > There are already plenty of people who think PERL is an acronym (it's
    > not), so "we" like to avoid PERL.
    >
    > Moreover, Perl is the programming language, and perl is the
    > executable, hence there is a good reason to be case sensitive. Hence,
    > perl [...] is poorly typed seems to refer to the executable, hence
    > Dr. Ruud's question.

    As someone else pointed out, in many other groups centered around a
    particular programming language, no one pays this kind of attention of
    people like your self seem to. Second, why is it people like yourself
    can never give a straight answer as to why it is of such high
    importance? If someone is a good programmer with the Perl language, does
    it really make a difference how they spell it as long as they know what
    they are doing? I mean you have people like Abigail who use their own
    quote characters, Uri who can't use a bloody shift key, etc, and you're
    worried about how some random bloke cases the word/term Perl?

    --
    G.Etly

    Gordon Etly, Apr 6, 2008
  9. jm

    Gordon Etly Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > "V.Ronans" <> wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, when _programming_, not with geenral petty conversations, such

    > Yes they do:
    >
    > A perl programmer is not the same as a Perl programmer.
    > A perl hacker is not the same as a Perl hacker.

    There is no real difference. Only someone who wants to be so incredibly
    close minded might give a flying hoot.

    You could say a normal person's mind might implicitly do a lc(..) on
    those two lines and they end up eq'ing.

    > And as I already wrote, PERL misleads people, they see PERL, and they
    > think it's an acronym.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=PERL

    The spelling "Perl" is preferred over the older "PERL" (even though
    some explain the language's name as originating in the acronym for
    "Practical Extraction and Report Language"). The program that
    interprets/compiles Perl code is called "perl", typically
    "/usr/local/bin/perl" or "/usr/bin/perl".

    > I also use it as a quick way to see if someone knows what he/she is
    > talking about. Someone who claims to be a PERL programmer tells me
    > that I probably never want to maintain his/her code.

    That's a very poor measuring stick. Seems also hypocritical, considering
    some of the more well known people in this group are known for doing
    thing differently (Abigail for her interesting alternate forms of
    quoting in replies, Uri for his inability to use the shift key, and so
    forth), to judge some random bloke who may also choose to be different.

    --
    G.Etly

    Gordon Etly, Apr 6, 2008
  10. jm

    John Bokma Guest

    "V.Ronans" <> wrote:

    > Actually it is also an acronym:

    From Wikipedia:
    "The name is occasionally given as "PERL" (for Practical Extraction and
    Report Language). Although the expansion has prevailed in many of today's
    manuals, including the official Perl man page, it is merely a *backronym*.
    The name does not officially stand for anything, so spelling it in all
    caps is incorrect."

    Robotic Operational Neohuman Assembled for Nocturnal Sabotage

    --
    John

    http://johnbokma.com/perl/

    John Bokma, Apr 6, 2008
  11. jm

    Uri Guttman Guest

    VR> Uri Guttman wrote:

    VR> I'm a regular reader.

    not a regular contributor. that downgrades your comments here. by a lot.

    VR> 2) I'm not sure you should be preaching about using proper grammar when
    VR> you don't even bother to capitalize the first letter of your sentences.

    WELL I CAN HIT THE SHIFT KEY IF YOU WANT!!!

    >> posters who also don't post according to this group's guidelines. it
    >> is even covered in an FAQ why perl is not an acronym.

    VR> Actually it is also an acronym:

    wrong.

    VR> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=perl

    VR> The spelling "Perl" is preferred over the older "PERL" (even though some
    VR> explain the language's name as originating in the acronym for "Practical
    VR> Extraction and Report Language"). The program that interprets/compiles
    VR> Perl code is called "perl", typically "/usr/local/bin/perl" or
    VR> "/usr/bin/perl".

    wrong again.

    VR> http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=perl&string=exact

    VR> "Practical Extraction and Report Language"

    wrong one more time.

    VR> There is a known acronym PERL out there, so I really do not think you
    VR> can blame people for using it.

    and it was first named pearl after larry wall's mother. but that name
    was already taken by another language so he dropped the 'a'.

    FROM THE PERL FAQ (a more definitive source than the crap you posted):

    What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?

    One bit. Oh, you weren't talking ASCII? :) Larry now uses
    "Perl" to signify the language proper and "perl" the
    implementation of it, i.e. the current interpreter. Hence
    Tom's quip that "Nothing but perl can parse Perl." You may
    or may not choose to follow this usage. For example,
    parallelism means "awk and perl" and "Python and Perl" look
    OK, while "awk and Perl" and "Python and perl" do not. But
    never write "PERL", because perl is not an acronym,
    apocryphal folklore and post-facto expansions
    notwithstanding.

    >> perl and other langs can be in whatever case but seeing it wrong when
    >> it can be corrected is not the crime you make it out to be.

    VR> I NEVER said it was a crime. Please do NOT insert words into my
    VR> mouth. My gripe has been and is with the way some of you choose
    VR> to "correct" it; namely, the sarcastic attitude. Again, this
    VR> serves no useful purpose other than to make such people you are
    VR> attempting to correct perhaps look at you with a strange look and
    VR> wonder why you care so much, especially when you don't even care
    VR> enough to properly case your words.

    you tone is worse than anyone who comments on perl vs PERL. so meet the
    pot, kettle.

    as for my casing, that is your problem. i choose to case my postings
    this way. my documentation, POD, writing, teaching, slides are all cased
    as others want them.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 6, 2008
  12. jm

    Uri Guttman Guest

    GE> As someone else pointed out, in many other groups centered around a
    GE> particular programming language, no one pays this kind of attention of
    GE> people like your self seem to. Second, why is it people like yourself
    GE> can never give a straight answer as to why it is of such high
    GE> importance? If someone is a good programmer with the Perl language, does
    GE> it really make a difference how they spell it as long as they know what
    GE> they are doing? I mean you have people like Abigail who use their own
    GE> quote characters, Uri who can't use a bloody shift key, etc, and you're
    GE> worried about how some random bloke cases the word/term Perl?

    because it is the newer users who need to learn the difference. saying
    'perl' or 'PERL' has a bug are very different. being technically
    accurate is a critical skill to a coder so using the correct name for
    the language vs the compiler vs a backronym is important. if a perl
    hacker wannabe can't get that right, they need to be told about it. i
    have the same issue when i see jobs for 'PERL'. that is important to me
    as i work in the job placement field and would never use that form.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 6, 2008
  13. jm

    Uri Guttman Guest

    GE> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=PERL

    GE> The spelling "Perl" is preferred over the older "PERL" (even though
    GE> some explain the language's name as originating in the acronym for
    GE> "Practical Extraction and Report Language"). The program that
    GE> interprets/compiles Perl code is called "perl", typically
    GE> "/usr/local/bin/perl" or "/usr/bin/perl".

    that is very wrong. see my other post about this. perl was never
    originally an acronym and you can ask larry. hmm, maybe i should the
    next time i have dinner with him.

    >> I also use it as a quick way to see if someone knows what he/she is
    >> talking about. Someone who claims to be a PERL programmer tells me
    >> that I probably never want to maintain his/her code.

    GE> That's a very poor measuring stick. Seems also hypocritical, considering
    GE> some of the more well known people in this group are known for doing
    GE> thing differently (Abigail for her interesting alternate forms of
    GE> quoting in replies, Uri for his inability to use the shift key, and so
    GE> forth), to judge some random bloke who may also choose to be different.

    you are saying the same garbage again. try to be original in your
    flamage. me thinks i should also judge your perl code based on your poor
    postings. do you have a cpan id?

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 6, 2008
  14. Tim Smith wrote:
    > Wait a second...let me see if I have this straight:
    >
    > Poster #1 spells Perl "perl".
    >
    > Poster #2 is a jerk about that.
    >
    > Poster #3 calls poster #2 a jerk, and defends "perl".
    >
    > You take exception to that, coming out strongly against those who
    > spell it "perl", while spelling it that way every time you
    > use it in your condemnation of people who spell it "perl"!?

    Thank you, this is the most valuable posting in this thread.

    People are spinning around with their thoughts, losing "the point"
    because of their emotional outbreaks.

    Ok, Uri is right in saying that the FAQ explains it well.
    But the FAQ also states that you can follow the guideline ... or not.

    Uri is writing "perl actually has stronger typing than many langs" and
    (in a followup) "perl and other langs".

    He is eager to participate in the flame war, shooting against
    "non-regulars".

    But I miss a statement saying like: "Well, I have mis-typed Perl, but
    nonetheless, I defend a correct typing, because it makes sense and is
    part of our Perl culture!"

    --jk

    Johann Kappacher, Apr 6, 2008
  15. jm

    Ben Bullock Guest

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 03:32:19 +0000, John Bokma wrote:

    > A perl programmer is not the same as a Perl programmer. A perl hacker is
    > not the same as a Perl hacker.

    This presents us with a serious problem. When we speak, we cannot
    distinguish between capital letters and small letters. So there is a
    danger of confusion, if we should tell people "I'm a Perl programmer",
    they may make a mistake and think we are "perl programmers". Then all
    hell will break loose. So if we say this rather than write it down, we
    should be sure to always say "I'm a Perl with a capital P programmer" or
    "I'm a perl with a small p hacker". Or, to reduce unnecessary wordiness,
    we can carry a card with us when we speak, and whenever we say the word
    "Perl" or "perl" in public, we can produce the card and point to the
    correct version of the letter with our forefinger.

    > And as I already wrote, PERL misleads people, they see PERL, and they
    > think it's an acronym.

    And then they invest all their life savings into PERL and loose it all,
    or something?

    Ben Bullock, Apr 6, 2008
  16. "Gordon Etly" <> wrote in

    > John Bokma wrote:

    >> Moreover, Perl is the programming language, and perl is the
    >> executable, hence there is a good reason to be case sensitive.
    >> Hence, perl [...] is poorly typed seems to refer to the
    >> executable, hence Dr. Ruud's question.

    > As someone else pointed out, in many other groups centered around
    > a particular programming language, no one pays this kind of
    > attention of people like your self seem to.

    Have you tried posting a question about a non-existence language
    called C/C++ in comp.lang.c?

    Think of the distinction between Perl and perl a clue-meter. We
    already know the contributions Uri has made to this group and to my
    work with his modules.

    When an unknown poster shows his/her ignorance, someone tries to
    give that person a hand by providing a correction. The response to
    the correction helps us evaluate if it would ever be worth spending
    our time answering questions by this person.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 6, 2008
  17. "David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus)" <> wrote in

    > You will find that people don't care about the spelling of
    > random words, its only when people start talking about
    > Perl specific words does it start to mattor.

    ;-)

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 6, 2008
  18. Uri Guttman wrote:
    > because it is the newer users who need to learn the difference. saying
    > 'perl' or 'PERL' has a bug are very different. being technically
    > accurate is a critical skill to a coder so using the correct name for
    > the language vs the compiler vs a backronym is important. if a perl
    > hacker wannabe can't get that right, they need to be told about it.

    Hi, I recognize your claim on this topic, but I do not back your behavior.

    You cannot criticize the [pP]erl mis-typing of newbies and practice this
    mis-typing yourself in the same news thread (and use such an emotional
    wording).

    As I have posted in a reply to Tim Smith's posting:

    Johann Kappacher, Apr 6, 2008
  19. jm

    Gordon Etly Guest

    David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:17:52 -0700, Gordon Etly <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > As someone else pointed out, in many other groups centered around a
    > > particular programming language, no one pays this kind of attention
    > > of people like your self seem to.

    > Its a marker of if your inside the group of perl culture or out of
    > it. Its a short cut to find out if you have read and understood the
    > FAQ.

    But it's a rather indicator. What is someone wants to be a little
    different, even after having read the FAQ? What if they typed 'man perl'
    or 'perldoc perl' early on in their Perl life and just went with the
    first few lines:

    $ perldoc perl | head -n 10
    PERL(1) User Contributed Perl Documentation
    PERL(1)
    ^^^^

    NAME
    perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language
    ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    This alone should make seeing "PERL" not surprising, weather one has
    read the FAQ or not. If various regulars can be different in their own
    way, it's rather hypocritical to bare down on not-so-regular people (or
    are they... many people might actually be //regular readers//) in this
    manner.

    > [...]
    >
    > > If someone is a good programmer with the Perl language, does
    > > it really make a difference how they spell it as long as they know
    > > what they are doing?

    > Because reading the FAQ, paying attention to detail and understanding
    > what people tell them are aspects of knowing how to program in Perl.

    No, you can judge someone purely on grounds like that. If someone wants
    to write "PERL", whether based on the man/perldoc page for "perl", that
    should be their choice. It is unfair to assume they are 'unworthy'
    simply because they want to me a little different. Again, some well
    known members of this group do things differently as well (Abigail's
    non-standard quoting, Uri's refusal to properly use the shift key and
    such) yet it's a crime for others to be different in more or less the
    same way?

    > You will find that people don't care about the spelling of random
    > words, its only when people start talking about Perl specific words
    > does it start to mattor.

    Yes, but "PERL" and "Practical Extraction and Report Language" come fro
    mthe man/perldoc page for "perl", how can one get more official then
    something's own man page? Are you saying the FAQ for this group, a user
    contributed document, as valvuable as it may be, carries more weight
    then Perl's own man page?

    --
    G.Etly

    Gordon Etly, Apr 6, 2008
  20. jm

    Gordon Etly Guest

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > "Gordon Etly" <> wrote in
    >
    >> John Bokma wrote:

    >>> Moreover, Perl is the programming language, and perl is the
    >>> executable, hence there is a good reason to be case sensitive.
    >>> Hence, perl [...] is poorly typed seems to refer to the
    >>> executable, hence Dr. Ruud's question.

    >> As someone else pointed out, in many other groups centered around
    >> a particular programming language, no one pays this kind of
    >> attention of people like your self seem to.

    > Have you tried posting a question about a non-existence language
    > called C/C++ in comp.lang.c?

    Yes I have. They are related languages. C++ is based on C. Most people
    seem to understand that, while also understanding what sets them apart.

    > Think of the distinction between Perl and perl a clue-meter.

    But that is just wrong. If the man/perldoc page for "perl" reads like,

    $ perldoc perl | head -n 10
    PERL(1) User Contributed Perl Documentation PERL(1)
    ^^^^

    NAME
    perl - Practical Extraction and Report Language
    ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    then would not someone using it as such an acronym be in fact //more//
    clue-ful [sic], having read the man/perdoc pages? I mean can the
    FAQ/guidelines, a user created contribution, as valuable as it may be,
    really carry more weight then Perl's own documentation?

    > We already know the contributions Uri has made to this group and to my
    > work with his modules.

    That doesn't excuse his blatant hypocrisy; he himself uses "perl" when
    telling people NOT to use it. Being a contributor doesn't mean one does
    not have to follow what they preach.

    > When an unknown poster shows his/her ignorance, someone tries to
    > give that person a hand by providing a correction. The response to
    > the correction helps us evaluate if it would ever be worth spending
    > our time answering questions by this person.

    Perhaps, but the point here is the correction itself is not necessarly
    correct. Not if Perl's own man pages and perdoc mena anything.

    --
    G.Etly

    Gordon Etly, Apr 6, 2008