Perl storing huge data(300MB) in a scalar

J.D. Baldwin

In the previous article said:
JDB> Because the comments about slurp and the use of $/ led naturally
JDB> to a closely related topic I've been thinking about.

i will ask again, why didn't you start a new thread and subject then?

I don't know, why didn't you start one to ask this question?

If you feel that strongly about changing the Subject: line every time
you ask a related follow-up, get a group consensus and get it written
into the group's posting guidelines. I read them before posting, and
didn't see anything about that.

Uri Guttman

JDB> Because the comments about slurp and the use of $/ led naturally
JDB> to a closely related topic I've been thinking about.
JDB> I don't know, why didn't you start one to ask this question?

because i know you are following this thread. a new subject could lose you.

JDB> If you feel that strongly about changing the Subject: line every time
JDB> you ask a related follow-up, get a group consensus and get it written
JDB> into the group's posting guidelines. I read them before posting, and
JDB> didn't see anything about that.

your change in topic was far enough away to warrant a new subject. you
asked nothing about 300mb scalars. you can change a subject and keep
part of the old one in a (was: ....) wrapper. that is classic usenet and
email convention when a change/fork in the thread subject is done. if
this is not in the group guidelines, it would be a good thing to add to
it.

uri