Perl# then Language# - Platform independence

sln

Why isin't Perl platform independent?
For that matter, why does there not exist independence
from Language, from I/O, hardware, filesystems, OS's and anything
else that requires expertise that inherantly detracts
from development of pure code?

Why do we need trusses of dependencies at a cost of trillions of
dollars?

How can we evolve as a technical society when we keep going down
this path that is really a path of no return?

Are we just developing code to support these underlying dependencies
or will we ever move forward towards real problem solving?

sln

Tim Greer

Why isin't Perl platform independent?

Perl has to be compiled for that platform and support many things to do
that. Also, not all platforms support the same things. Why is it a
problem in your mind for Perl to work on so many platforms without all
of the hassles? Sounds like a good thing to me. What's your point
here? No one's forcing you to use Perl, and not everyone does.

sln

Perl has to be compiled for that platform and support many things to do
that. Also, not all platforms support the same things. Why is it a
problem in your mind for Perl to work on so many platforms without all
of the hassles? Sounds like a good thing to me. What's your point
here? No one's forcing you to use Perl, and not everyone does.

I'm thinking verbal commands like "Make the best case out of this..
Grab all the files I think I need and check if there is a black hole
is in there somewhere", "Also, get my laundry and send it to the cleaners",
"And while your at it find out what I did wrong on that nuclear fushion
metrics you got me yesterday".

Wrap it all up in a subroutine called Today, store it somewhere, then take
the rest of the day off..

sln