    Have you any idea?
    Thanks a lot!
    Achille [from Italy]
    Achille, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Achille

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth (Achille):

    > I run a PERL script from Browser (internet Explorer) but the execution
    > is very slow so the IIS stop my perl.exe

    Is it really necessary for your script to take so long?

    > I thinks the my problem is the "timout".
    >
    > I need to insert in my script the string of the command like ASP:
    > Server.ScriptTimeOut = 7200
    >
    > Have you any idea?

    You *may* be able to do this using Win32::OLE. Otherwise, you need to
    change it in the config somewhere.

    Ben

    Mystics and saints | Than ever was born
    The Levellers, 'Believers'
    Ben Morrow, Jun 10, 2004

  3. On 10 Jun 2004 01:39:39 -0700, Achille <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I run a PERL script from Browser (internet Explorer) but the execution
    > is very slow so the IIS stop my perl.exe
    >
    > I thinks the my problem is the "timout".

    I had the same problem and thought about the timeout, too.

    But everytime i had such problems i found them in my scripts.
    My scripts had errors or bad design (e.g. to slow searches in files).

    Think of that, too.

    Andre
    Andre Wisniewski, Jun 10, 2004
  4. (Achille) writes:
    > I run a PERL script from Browser (internet Explorer) but the execution
    > is very slow so the IIS stop my perl.exe

    I can't be arsed to look it up, but Randal Schwartz has a column or
    two in his WebTechniques series on how to track and report progress on
    long-running jobs started from a CGI script. You could do that
    instead of starting a long-running job and forcing the user to wait
    until you're done.

    -=Eric
    -- Blair Houghton.
    Eric Schwartz, Jun 10, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    (Achille) wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I run a PERL script from Browser (internet Explorer) but the execution
    > is very slow so the IIS stop my perl.exe
    >
    > I thinks the my problem is the "timout".
    >
    > I need to insert in my script the string of the command like ASP:
    > Server.ScriptTimeOut = 7200

    There are two things that might time out -- one is the server, the other
    is the client.

    The ASP command that you noted is only valid in an ASP environment --
    are you using PerlScript to create an ASP in Perl? If not, you are
    probably running a CGI. To change the server timeout for CGIs, you will
    change it for all of them. This can be changed somewhere in the server
    configuration, although you will probably need to restart IIS completely.

    If the browser is what is timing out, then you will need to convince the
    browser to wait. This can (for MSIE) be done by sending at least 1K of
    data back to the browser. I have one case where I needed to do this
    (converting a large excel spreadsheet into plain text, filtering the
    answers, and sending back error data). To solve the problem of the
    browser timing out, I did the following:

    # near the start of the program:
    $| = 1; # turn off output buffering

    my $q = new CGI;

    # later on
    # send some data back to keep MSIE happy
    print $q->header();
    print $q->start_html();
    print "<!--", 'x' x 2000, '-->\n";

    # continue processing