    thanks for any info

    Alessandro Magni

    , Mar 29, 2005

  2. Karl Aminov Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am running a faithful RedHat7.3 box - so my Perl version is v5.6.1.
    > I was thinking about updating to the current Perl version
    > (5.8.something, right?), since I'm getting tired of receiving errors
    > about:
    > --- Error: Constant name 'HASH(0x822f93c)' has invalid characters at
    > <filename> line xxx (damn constant.pm!)
    >
    > ... but I was thinking: what happens to all the modules I've installed
    > - and they're quite a lot? I have to re-install everything????

    Yes, that's the cleanest solution.
    A rude, but working solution is to include the old library path in
    your perl script:

    #! /usr/bin/perl
    use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1';

    A better solution is to install all libs with the CPAN Perl Module
    (interactive command line interface)

    user @bash> cpan

    Karl Aminov, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Karl Aminov wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> I am running a faithful RedHat7.3 box - so my Perl version is v5.6.1.
    >> I was thinking about updating to the current Perl version
    >> (5.8.something, right?)

    > A rude, but working solution is to include the old library path in
    > your perl script:
    >
    > #! /usr/bin/perl
    > use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1';

    That can only be considered "working" with some major caveats. He's asking
    about a major version upgrade from 5.6 to 5.8, so XS modules that have been
    compiled for the old version will *not* work with the newer one. For XS
    modules, the trick you're talking about only works for minor upgrades, like
    from 5.8.1 to 5.8.6.

    It's less of an issue with pure Perl modules.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Joe Smith Guest

    Ted Zlatanov wrote:

    > The CPAN module can generate a snapshot bundle, which will make
    > reinstalling everything from CPAN easier. From "perldoc CPAN":

    Yep, the last time I used this:

    perl -MCPAN -e 'autobundle'
    cd src/perl; ./configure && make && make test && make install; cd
    perl -MCPAN -e 'install '`ls -t .cpan/Bundle/Snapshot* | sed -n '1
    s%.cpan/Bundle/%bundle::%p'`

    (That last line resolves to 'install bundle::Snapshot_yyyy_mm_dd_00.pm')
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Apr 5, 2005