perl upgrade - make test error "Can't locate Config_heavy.pl"

Lee Stone

Hello

Although I have seen a couple of other people with similar errors, I cannot
find any solutions. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am trying to upgrade from Perl 5.6.1 to Perl 5.8.8 on an older Suse Linux
2.4.18 i686 box.

Make completed OK but Make Test is showing the following error:

"
t/op/filetest.............................Can't locate Config_heavy.pl in
@INC (@INC contains: ../lib) at ../lib/Config.pm line 66.
# Looks like you planned 10 tests but ran 5.
FAILED--expected 10 tests, saw 5
"

Config_heavy.pl exists within /lib and appears to be intact. I have checked
and rechecked my configuration and all appears to be correct. I have run
Make Clean and re-run from scratch. I do not understand why Config_heavy.pl
is not found during Make Test.

Unfortunately I am not experienced enough to know if this is important to
fix or whether I should just go ahead and force the install.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

sisyphus

Hello

Although I have seen a couple of other people with similar errors, I cannot
find any solutions.

Looks like some sort of bug in the test suite.

See http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/04/msg135950.html
.. Assuming that fix results in all t/op/filetest.t tests passing, then
you've got nothing to worry about.

Mind you, having read that post, I still don't see why it should be
necessary to go to that trouble to get filetest.t to run properly.
Afaict, things should work perfectly well the way they are ... but
they obviously don't. (I don't have access to a machine that can
reproduce your problem.)

Cheers,
Rob

Lee Stone

sisyphus said:
Looks like some sort of bug in the test suite.

See
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/04/msg135950.html
. Assuming that fix results in all t/op/filetest.t tests passing, then
you've got nothing to worry about.

Mind you, having read that post, I still don't see why it should be
necessary to go to that trouble to get filetest.t to run properly.
Afaict, things should work perfectly well the way they are ... but
they obviously don't. (I don't have access to a machine that can
reproduce your problem.)

Have re-read the post to which you refer. First time round got a bit lost -
I thought this was a hack to get round the error as opposed to a fix (if you
see what I mean)

Many thanks. I appreciate the help.