perl versions and other stuff

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by joe.cipale@radisys.com, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    TO all who responded on my previous thread, thanks! I found the answer
    deep in the darl recesses of another Perl book I keep in my office.

    Now for YAPQ:
    In our test environment, we have a colleciton of RH 7.2 workstations
    used to test servers. On some of the workstations, we can launch a
    specific test that calls the SNMP/NetSNMP pacakges and the test works
    fine.

    On others, if we attempt to launch the same test, we get the following
    message:
    Script started on Tue Apr 26 15:41:59 2005
    bash-2.05$ perl -MSNMP -e 'print "$SNMP::VERSION"'
    Can't load
    '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/auto/NetSNMP/default_store/default_store.so'
    for module NetSNMP::default_store: libnetsnmp.so.5: cannot open shared
    object file: No such file or directory at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
    at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/SNMP.pm line 16
    Compilation failed in require at
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/SNMP.pm line 16.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/SNMP.pm line 16.
    Compilation failed in require.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
    bash-2.05$ exit

    I have checked the path(s) on all machines and the files are intact. I
    initially thought that there may be a case of 'versionitis' running
    rampant, but that is not the case. I thought that it may be a path
    issue, but the same user can use the scripts on machine A with no
    problem, while machine B results in a compiler error.

    Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Joe

    , Apr 26, 2005

  2. John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Apr 27, 2005

    said file(s) are located on all machines both good and bad. And yes,
    the files are readable.

    , Apr 27, 2005
  4. Joe Smith Guest

    wrote:
    > libnetsnmp.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    >
    > I have checked the path(s) on all machines and the files are intact.

    Well, since you did not state where libnetsnmp.so.* live, it looks
    like that library (and not a perl module) is missing from your system.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Apr 30, 2005

    My thanks to all who replied on this thread. It turns out that there is
    a bit of system corruption on the machines I alluded to in the earlier
    thread.

    The siplest fix was to copy the working files/binaries from the good
    machines to one of the offending machines. That fixed the problem (so
    far). The ultimate fix is a complete system reinstall and rebuild.

    Ultimately, I would like to see all of the module files used for
    testing located to a NFS mounted server and have users place this in
    their path var. This allows a single machine to be used as the source
    for all tools and helps to reduce the amount of maintenance required.
    Now if I can get managment buyoff to do this. :(

    Joe

    , May 2, 2005