perl versions and other stuff

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    TO all who responded on my previous thread, thanks! I found the answer
    deep in the darl recesses of another Perl book I keep in my office.

    Now for YAPQ:
    In our test environment, we have a colleciton of RH 7.2 workstations
    used to test servers. On some of the workstations, we can launch a
    specific test that calls the SNMP/NetSNMP pacakges and the test works

    On others, if we attempt to launch the same test, we get the following
    Script started on Tue Apr 26 15:41:59 2005
    bash-2.05$ perl -MSNMP -e 'print "$SNMP::VERSION"'
    Can't load
    for module NetSNMP::default_store: cannot open shared
    object file: No such file or directory at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux/ line 230.
    at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/ line 16
    Compilation failed in require at
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/ line 16.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux/ line 16.
    Compilation failed in require.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
    bash-2.05$ exit

    I have checked the path(s) on all machines and the files are intact. I
    initially thought that there may be a case of 'versionitis' running
    rampant, but that is not the case. I thought that it may be a path
    issue, but the same user can use the scripts on machine A with no
    problem, while machine B results in a compiler error.

    Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

    , Apr 26, 2005

  2. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Apr 27, 2005

    said file(s) are located on all machines both good and bad. And yes,
    the files are readable.
    , Apr 27, 2005
  4. Joe Smith

    Joe Smith Guest

    > I have checked the path(s) on all machines and the files are intact.

    Well, since you did not state where* live, it looks
    like that library (and not a perl module) is missing from your system.
    Joe Smith, Apr 30, 2005
  5. Guest

    My thanks to all who replied on this thread. It turns out that there is
    a bit of system corruption on the machines I alluded to in the earlier

    The siplest fix was to copy the working files/binaries from the good
    machines to one of the offending machines. That fixed the problem (so
    far). The ultimate fix is a complete system reinstall and rebuild.

    Ultimately, I would like to see all of the module files used for
    testing located to a NFS mounted server and have users place this in
    their path var. This allows a single machine to be used as the source
    for all tools and helps to reduce the amount of maintenance required.
    Now if I can get managment buyoff to do this. :(

    , May 2, 2005