    Is there a list of version numbers that are available on the various linux distributions? perl is at version 5.18 but there are (apart from Arch) none that have included 5.18 in their downstream.

    What can I expect?

    , Aug 24, 2013

  2. On 2013-08-24, <> wrote:
    > Is there a list of version numbers that are available on the various linux distributions? perl is at version 5.18 but there are (apart from Arch) none that have included 5.18 in their downstream.
    >
    > What can I expect?

    I don't know about other distributions, but over here (Debian), we have 5.14
    (and we will have 5.18 in unstable soon).

    I see Slackware has 5.18 ( according to http://packages.slackware.com ) and
    Fedora has 5.16.3 in F18/F19 and 5.18.1 in F20.

    I think all linux distros have at least 5.14 now.
    --
    Marius Gavrilescu
    (poems) With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,/ it is still a beautiful world./ Be cheerful./ Strive to be happy. -- Max Ehrmann "Desiderata"

    Marius Gavrilescu, Aug 24, 2013

    On Saturday, 24 August 2013 17:07:13 UTC+2, Marius Gavrilescu wrote:
    > On 2013-08-24, johannes.kingma wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a list of version numbers that are available on the various linux distributions? perl is at version 5.18 but there are (apart from Arch) none that have included 5.18 in their downstream.

    > > What can I expect?

    > I don't know about other distributions, but over here (Debian), we have 5..14
    >
    > (and we will have 5.18 in unstable soon).
    >

    > I see Slackware has 5.18 ( according to http://packages.slackware.com ) and
    >
    > Fedora has 5.16.3 in F18/F19 and 5.18.1 in F20.
    >

    > I think all linux distros have at least 5.14 now.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Marius Gavrilescu
    >
    > (poems) With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,/ it is still a beautiful world./ Be cheerful./ Strive to be happy. -- Max Ehrmann "Desiderata"

    That is great news. One of the larger development projects with Perl that Iknow LogitechMediaServer has be struggling with compatibility issues. It seems that 5.18 breaks quit a few things that seem to have worked fine in the 5.8 version the LMS team is in.

    , Aug 24, 2013
  4. On 2013-08-24 15:07, Marius Gavrilescu <> wrote:
    > On 2013-08-24, <> wrote:
    >> Is there a list of version numbers that are available on the various
    >> linux distributions? perl is at version 5.18 but there are (apart
    >> from Arch) none that have included 5.18 in their downstream.
    >>
    >> What can I expect?

    > I don't know about other distributions, but over here (Debian), we
    > have 5.14 (and we will have 5.18 in unstable soon).
    >
    > I see Slackware has 5.18 ( according to http://packages.slackware.com
    > ) and Fedora has 5.16.3 in F18/F19 and 5.18.1 in F20.
    >
    > I think all linux distros have at least 5.14 now.

    Redhat Enterprise Linux 6 has still 5.10.1, and I guess its derivatives
    (CentOS, Scientific Linux, Oracle Linux, ...) are at the same version.
    No word yet on when RHEL 7 will be out.

    hp

    |_|_) | | Man feilt solange an seinen Text um, bis
    __/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | zusammenpaƟt. -- Ralph Babel

    Peter J. Holzer, Aug 24, 2013
  5. Peter J. Holzer schrieb:
    > Redhat Enterprise Linux 6 has still 5.10.1, and I guess its derivatives
    > (CentOS, Scientific Linux, Oracle Linux, ...) are at the same version.
    > No word yet on when RHEL 7 will be out.

    Right - anad the still supported RHEL 5 (Support till March 31st, 2017)
    has only perl 5.8.8.

    BTW: IIRC RHEL 7 is supposed to be based on Fedora 17 and 18, so we have
    an estimate at least.

    Greetings

    Markus Steinborn

    Markus Steinborn, Aug 25, 2013
  6. Markus Steinborn schrieb:

    > BTW: IIRC RHEL 7 is supposed to be based on Fedora 17 and 18, so we have
    > an estimate at least.

    I've got to correct myself: Wikipedia tells us that "Red Hat Enterprise
    Linux 7 will be based on Fedora 19", so quite probable RHEL 7 will have
    perl 5.16.

    Markus Steinborn, Aug 25, 2013