Perl will not run exe on Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by chrisgeorgeoliver@gmail.com, May 17, 2005.

    I'm in the process of moving my sites from an old server (Windows
    Server 2000 IIS 5, Active Perl 5.6.1633) to a new server (Windows
    Server 2k3 IIS 6, Active Perl 5.8).

    Most scripts work, but i run into a problem when i run this:

    $command = "mrsid_info.exe ../$client/$image |";

    $rc = open (COMMAND, $command);

    if (!$rc)
    {
    return;
    }

    while (<COMMAND>)
    {
    if (/\s*levels = (\d+)/) { $levels = $1 + 1; }
    if (/\s*width = (\d+)/) { $width = $1; }
    if (/\s*height = (\d+)/) { $height = $1; }
    }

    close (COMMAND);

    It seems like it never runs the exe because the $levels, $width, and
    $height are never assigned. Is there something in IIS 6 that prevents
    scripts from running exes? I have givin Everyone full access to the
    directory with the script, along with full access on the perl
    directory.

    I created a quick helloworld.exe that outputted a string. I then wrote
    a quick perl script (titled 'tester.plx') that opened helloworld.exe
    and printed out the output. It worked fine in command prompt, but not
    through the browser.

    I am a complete perl newbie so please be descriptive with your

    Thank you for your time in advance.
    , May 17, 2005

  2. wrote in news:1116350371.536667.238140
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm in the process of moving my sites from an old server (Windows
    > Server 2000 IIS 5, Active Perl 5.6.1633) to a new server (Windows
    > Server 2k3 IIS 6, Active Perl 5.8).
    >
    > Most scripts work, but i run into a problem when i run this:

    use strict;
    use warnings;

    missing. Please read the posting guidelines for this group to see how
    you can help yourself as well as helping others help you.

    > $command = "mrsid_info.exe ../$client/$image |";
    >
    > $rc = open (COMMAND, $command);
    >
    > if (!$rc)
    > {
    > return;

    > It seems like it never runs the exe

    And why not? How can we know? You could, of course, find out:

    my $command = "mrsid_info.exe ../$client/$image";
    open my $pipe, '-|', $command
    or die "Cannot open pipe to read output of $command: $!";

    > Is there something in IIS 6 that prevents scripts from running
    > exes?

    I don't know. That is something specific to the OS/Web Server
    configuration you chose, and thus off-topic here.

    > I created a quick helloworld.exe that outputted a string. I then wrote
    > a quick perl script (titled 'tester.plx') that opened helloworld.exe
    > and printed out the output. It worked fine in command prompt, but not
    > through the browser.

    perldoc -q CGI

    > I am a complete perl newbie so please be descriptive with your

    First off, I think you are referring to Perl.

    Second, if you are a newbie, you should definitely read the posting
    guidelines for this group.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, May 17, 2005

    Thanks for the quick reply, Sinan.
    Sorry for posting without reading the guidelines, I now realize I
    violated quite a few rules. Although I must say I tried to find a
    solution to my problem for the last 4 days before posting here.

    I changed my open (COMMAND) line to the one you suggested and when I
    pull up the page it just hangs. I'm pretty sure this is a permissions
    problem of some kind because this code worked on IIS 5 and therefore,
    I'll take this thread over there.
    , May 17, 2005