    Hi can anyone help I have a vista operating system i downloaded perl
    msi package but when I install I get a message sayin unable to set or
    remove path please do so manually can anyone come up with a solution.
    Frieza, Nov 22, 2007

  2. On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:05:15 -0800, Frieza wrote:

    > Hi can anyone help I have a vista operating system i downloaded perl msi
    > package but when I install I get a message sayin unable to set or remove
    > path please do so manually can anyone come up with a solution.

    Which msi package is that? I'm assuming you mean the activestate.com one.

    If everything else in the install process went right, it just means you
    can't execute perl from the command prompt without giving it's full path,
    i.e. you'd have to do:

    c:\some\path\to\perl -e 'print "OK\n"'

    instead of the easier

    perl -e 'print "OK\n"'

    you can fix that by setting/modifying the PATH environment variable to
    include the directory that the perl.exe was installed in.

    On windows it should contain a ";" separated list of directories.

    See also: http://banagale.com/changing-your-system-path-in-windows-
    vista.htm

    and http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

    Joost.
    Joost Diepenmaat, Nov 22, 2007

  3. Frieza

    Frieza Guest

    On Nov 22, 10:26 pm, Joost Diepenmaat <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:05:15 -0800, Frieza wrote:
    > > Hi can anyone help I have a vista operating system i downloaded perl msi
    > > package but when I install I get a message sayin unable to set or remove
    > > path please do so manually can anyone come up with a solution.

    > Which msi package is that? I'm assuming you mean the activestate.com one.
    >
    > If everything else in the install process went right, it just means you
    > can't execute perl from the command prompt without giving it's full path,
    > i.e. you'd have to do:
    >
    > c:\some\path\to\perl -e 'print "OK\n"'
    >
    > instead of the easier
    >
    > perl -e 'print "OK\n"'
    >
    > you can fix that by setting/modifying the PATH environment variable to
    > include the directory that the perl.exe was installed in.
    >
    > On windows it should contain a ";" separated list of directories.
    >
    > See also:http://banagale.com/changing-your-system-path-in-windows-
    > vista.htm
    >
    > andhttp://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm
    >
    > Joost.

    done what you said found the path and then put it where it should be
    thank you.
    Frieza, Nov 23, 2007