    functionality (that part works already for me!) to send the item on
    its way. Any suggestions of the first part of the scenario I
    describe?
    Ken Browning, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Ken Browning

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, Ken Browning
    <> wrote:

    > I have been working with Perl for a while now, but have not used it
    > with XML - I am an XML noob.
    >
    > I want to be able to read an XML schema file and initialize an
    > instance of the data item specified in the XML schema file. I then
    > would like to initialize the various "fields" that make up theoverall
    > item. Once I have all my data in order I will use "Post"
    > functionality (that part works already for me!) to send the item on
    > its way. Any suggestions of the first part of the scenario I
    > describe?

    There are many XML Perl modules on CPAN (see <http://search.cpan.org).
    I recommend starting with XML::Simple. You will need an XML parser
    module as well, for example the XML::parser module (which needs the
    expat library) or XML::SAX::purePerl if you can't or don't want to
    install the expat library. The former is faster, but the latter is pure
    Perl. For larger, more complex XML tasks, you may want to look at
    XML::Twig or write your own SAX processing routines.

    FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future,
    or comp.lang.perl.modules for help on specific modules.
    Jim Gibson, Nov 6, 2006