Perl XML Question

Ken Browning

I have been working with Perl for a while now, but have not used it
with XML - I am an XML noob.

I want to be able to read an XML schema file and initialize an
instance of the data item specified in the XML schema file. I then
would like to initialize the various "fields" that make up theoverall
item. Once I have all my data in order I will use "Post"
functionality (that part works already for me!) to send the item on
its way. Any suggestions of the first part of the scenario I
describe?

Jim Gibson

Ken Browning said:
I have been working with Perl for a while now, but have not used it
with XML - I am an XML noob.

I want to be able to read an XML schema file and initialize an
instance of the data item specified in the XML schema file. I then
would like to initialize the various "fields" that make up theoverall
item. Once I have all my data in order I will use "Post"
functionality (that part works already for me!) to send the item on
its way. Any suggestions of the first part of the scenario I
describe?

There are many XML Perl modules on CPAN (see <http://search.cpan.org).
I recommend starting with XML::Simple. You will need an XML parser
module as well, for example the XML::parser module (which needs the
expat library) or XML::SAX::purePerl if you can't or don't want to
install the expat library. The former is faster, but the latter is pure
Perl. For larger, more complex XML tasks, you may want to look at
XML::Twig or write your own SAX processing routines.

FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future,
or comp.lang.perl.modules for help on specific modules.