perl2exe RAM garbage collector

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Robert Henniger, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. Hi to all.

    Today i compiled an perl-script to an EXE with perl2exe under Windows.
    This works fine.
    This script is an HTTP::Daemon which forks for every request.
    This works too.

    Now my problem.
    With every fork, the ammount of ram increase. With 1000 handled
    requests the server needs round about 250MB RAM. The main-process
    starts with 45MB.

    I think every new process takes 300KB or more RAM. I am reaping my
    finished Child-Processes but it doesnt work in perl2exe.

    If i run this script with the default perl-interpreter it needs round
    about 70MB for 1000 requests.

    What can i do to save RAM?

    Thanks in advice.

    Best regards

    Robert

    Robert Henniger, Dec 21, 2006

  2. Robert Henniger

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Robert Henniger" <> wrote in message
    > Hi to all.
    >
    > Today i compiled an perl-script to an EXE with perl2exe under Windows.
    > This works fine.
    > This script is an HTTP::Daemon which forks for every request.
    > This works too.
    >
    > Now my problem.
    > With every fork, the ammount of ram increase. With 1000 handled
    > requests the server needs round about 250MB RAM. The main-process
    > starts with 45MB.
    >
    > I think every new process takes 300KB or more RAM. I am reaping my
    > finished Child-Processes but it doesnt work in perl2exe.

    Would probably help if you could produce a *simple* demo of the problem. It
    doesn't have to be a demo that does anything useful - just some perl script
    that forks and reaps child processes - and that works fine when run as a
    perl script, but fails to reap when run as perl2exe-built executable.

    If I were to take a punt on a possible fix, I would suggest you try using
    Win32::process to launch the child processes (as it possesses a Kill()
    function which can be used to terminate processes it has launched).

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Dec 22, 2006