Perl2EXE vs. PAR vs. perlcc

Ralph K

Before committing the time and effort to try one of these methods of
producing compiled perl programs, I'd welcome the observations,
experiences and warnings from those who have gone before.

Sisyphus

Ralph said:
Before committing the time and effort to try one of these methods of
producing compiled perl programs, I'd welcome the observations,
experiences and warnings from those who have gone before.

Forget perlcc.

Try PAR first. It doesn't yet handle all situations on all operating
systems. If it doesn't do the job you need, report the bug to the PAR
mailing list (see http://lists.perl.org ) and try perl2exe (or Active
State's perlapp from their PDK).

Cheers,
Rob

Robert

Ralph said:
Before committing the time and effort to try one of these methods of
producing compiled perl programs, I'd welcome the observations,
experiences and warnings from those who have gone before.
I have only recently used PAR on Windows but I found no problems with it.

PerlCC did not work at all.

Simon Andrews

Ralph said:
Before committing the time and effort to try one of these methods of
producing compiled perl programs, I'd welcome the observations,
experiences and warnings from those who have gone before.

I'd suggest PAR as the firt thing to try. Perlcc is only of academic
interest and needs a lot more work to be useful. Perl2exe (and perlapp)
cost money.

There really isn't much investment in time or effort required to get
going with PAR. You seem to be running on Windows, so assuming you're
using ActivePerl it might be as simple as:

ppm install PAR

[wait whilst PAR installs]

cd \my_perl_script_dir\

pp -o my_prog.exe my_perl_script.pl

[wait whilst your script is compiled]

Double click your new .exe to run your program.

Of course it may not end up being quite that simple as I've made a few
assumptions there, but I reckon that those instructions would be OK for
75% of programs I've ever put through PAR.

Try it out and if you get stuck then come back with the specific error
you got and I'm sure someone will be happy to help. You may prefer to
direct your PAR / pp problems to the PAR mailing list though, as
suggested by Sisyphus.

HTH

Simon.

MPBroida

Sisyphus said:
Forget perlcc.

Try PAR first. It doesn't yet handle all situations on all operating
systems. If it doesn't do the job you need, report the bug to the PAR
mailing list (see http://lists.perl.org ) and try perl2exe (or Active
State's perlapp from their PDK).

Can you give a pointer/URL to a PAR site?

Thanks!
Mike

Sisyphus

MPBroida said:
Can you give a pointer/URL to a PAR site?

Thanks!
Mike

Not sure that there is a par-designated site. You might find something
at http://par.perl.org . (Well ... of course that *is* a
"par-designated" site, but I don't know how useful that will be to you.
Check it out.)

Afaict you've got the module's documentation and the mailing list I
referred to above and that's about it. The release of new versions is
announced on the mailing list, and of course there's the usual bug
reports (not many these days) and the occasional piece of general
discussion. It's not a high volume list, but it is closely scrutinised
by the module's author - so quality help is always at hand :)

Cheers,
Rob

Alan Stewart

ppm install PAR

[wait whilst PAR installs]

I have always downloaded PAR from par.perl.org and compiled myself,
but I wonder what version you see with ppm?

I run ActiveState 5.6 build 635 and ppm3 tells me their repository
only has version 0.63. There have been some important bug fixes since
then.

Simon Andrews

Alan said:
ppm install PAR

[wait whilst PAR installs]

I have always downloaded PAR from par.perl.org and compiled myself,

I've actually done both at different times. I did say that my
instructions were the least you might have to do to get a working
compiled executatble. Having said that, the installer which comes with
PAR is one of the best I've seen for any module.
but I wonder what version you see with ppm?

I run ActiveState 5.6 build 635 and ppm3 tells me their repository
only has version 0.63. There have been some important bug fixes since
then.

M:\>ppm search PAR
Searching in Active Repositories

[snip stuff]

118. PAR [0.75] Perl Archive Tookit

M:\>perl -v

0.75 is pretty recent. The new PAR builds seem to be playing better
with the ActiveState auto-compile routines so updates do get pushed out
in a reasonably timely mannar (though possibly only for 5.8.x?).

Simon.