Perl5.8.6 AIX 4.3.3 VAC4.4.0.3 - Undefined Symbols

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by teodell, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. teodell

    teodell Guest

    Perl: 5.8.6
    OS: AIX4.3.3 ML11
    Compiler: vac.C 4.4.0.3

    I'm wanting to compile 5.8.6 w/ thread support. I'm failing on in make
    test on ext/threads/t/libc.t. If I run it directly I get this:
    1..11
    ok 1
    not ok 2 # not a safe localtime
    not ok 3 # not a safe localtime
    not ok 4 # not a safe localtime
    not ok 5 # not a safe localtime
    ok 6
    not ok 7 # not a safe localtime
    not ok 8 # not a safe localtime
    not ok 9 # not a safe localtime
    not ok 10 # not a safe localtime
    ok 11

    I noticed it will fail different ones each time I run it.

    I was compiling with AIX default except enabling thread support for the
    ithreads. So far after having problems with make failing on Undefined
    symbols on various pthread names I saw that Configure was finding
    pthread as shared but was not including it with the libraries. After
    including pthread make seems happy except for two sections.

    cc -o miniperl -brtl -L/usr/local/lib -b32 `echo gv.o toke.o
    perly.o o
    p.o pad.o regcomp.o dump.o util.o mg.o reentr.o hv.o av.o run.o
    pp_hot.o sv.o pp
    ..o scope.o pp_ctl.o pp_sys.o doop.o doio.o regexec.o utf8.o taint.o
    deb.o univer
    sal.o xsutils.o globals.o perlio.o perlapi.o numeric.o locale.o
    pp_pack.o pp_sor
    t.o | sed 's/ op.o / /'` miniperlmain.o opmini.o perl.o -lbind -lnsl
    -ldl -lld
    -lm -lcrypt -lc -lbsd -lpthread
    ./miniperl -w -Ilib -MExporter -e '<?>' || make minitest
    make: 1254-005 Ignored error code 1 from last command.
    ./miniperl -Ilib configpm configpm.tmp
    sh mv-if-diff configpm.tmp lib/Config.pm
    ./miniperl -Ilib lib/lib_pm.PL

    At the end of make
    Making Errno (nonxs)
    Writing Makefile for Errno
    ../../miniperl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib"
    "-I../../lib" E
    rrno_pm.PL Errno.pm
    cp Errno.pm ../../lib/Errno.pm
    make: 1254-005 Ignored error code 1 from last command.

    Everything is up to date. Type 'make test' to run test suite.

    The only other issue was with make test on lib/ExtUtils/t/Embed.t. It
    failed initially seemingly because it was looking for the perl.exp file
    to be in the future install location versus in the source directory. I
    copied the file where it was expected and now ld simply warns about a
    lot of Symbol * is already exported.
    teodell, Apr 22, 2005

  2. teodell

    teodell Guest

    Update:
    After looking over the libc.t it looks like it is calling localtime
    which I'm not sure is thread safe. ??? It contains a sub localtime_r
    which looks like it might be thread-safe. Not sure with my lack of
    experience here. But if I use localtime_r inside the thread instead of
    localtime it passes. Takes about twice as long.
    teodell, Apr 22, 2005