perl5.8.6 won't install on FreeBSD5.3

ravenslay3r

has anyone encountered problems installing Perl5.8.6 on FreeBSD 5.3
Stable?
I'm trying to do it to install KDE3.4 on a clean install of FreeBSD.

Everytime I update to the new perl, if i try to compile everything else
it goes into an infinite loop, essentially telling me Automake, and
AutoConf are not installed. Once I hit that point I can't install
anything, including Automake and Autoconf.

The only system change i've made since this last happened was that I
had the CXXFLAGS line uncommented by accident in /etc/make.conf and now
i have fixed that. I don't *think* that would affect this though.

I also just saw the instructions here:
http://www.freshports.org/lang/perl5.8/

but am not sure they would work because once I've done the first step
my system is already FUBAR and I doubt the final step would do anything
except hit my infinite loop again.

Alas if there are no other suggestions I may be trying this soon
anyways, but i've already tried installing FreeBSD from scratch 5 times
this weekend (because of this issue) and would like to get it right
this time.

Any help would be appreciated!
Much Thanks,
RavenSlay3r

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
has anyone encountered problems installing Perl5.8.6 on FreeBSD 5.3
Stable?
I'm trying to do it to install KDE3.4 on a clean install of FreeBSD.

Everytime I update to the new perl, if i try to compile everything
else it goes into an infinite loop, essentially telling me Automake,

How are you doing this? I have installed various versions of FreeBSD over
time (although not 5.3). In each case, I upgraded Perl after installation
using the ports collection.

Sinan

Pertti Kosunen

Everytime I update to the new perl, if i try to compile everything else
it goes into an infinite loop, essentially telling me Automake, and
AutoConf are not installed. Once I hit that point I can't install
anything, including Automake and Autoconf.

Did you read /usr/ports/UPDATING ?