perl5.8.6 won't install on FreeBSD5.3

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ravenslay3r@gmail.com, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    has anyone encountered problems installing Perl5.8.6 on FreeBSD 5.3
    Stable?
    I'm trying to do it to install KDE3.4 on a clean install of FreeBSD.

    Everytime I update to the new perl, if i try to compile everything else
    it goes into an infinite loop, essentially telling me Automake, and
    AutoConf are not installed. Once I hit that point I can't install
    anything, including Automake and Autoconf.

    The only system change i've made since this last happened was that I
    had the CXXFLAGS line uncommented by accident in /etc/make.conf and now
    i have fixed that. I don't *think* that would affect this though.

    I also just saw the instructions here:
    http://www.freshports.org/lang/perl5.8/

    but am not sure they would work because once I've done the first step
    my system is already FUBAR and I doubt the final step would do anything
    except hit my infinite loop again.

    Alas if there are no other suggestions I may be trying this soon
    anyways, but i've already tried installing FreeBSD from scratch 5 times
    this weekend (because of this issue) and would like to get it right
    this time.

    Any help would be appreciated!
    Much Thanks,
    RavenSlay3r
    , Mar 29, 2005

  2. wrote in news:1112069474.920712.119350
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > has anyone encountered problems installing Perl5.8.6 on FreeBSD 5.3
    > Stable?
    > I'm trying to do it to install KDE3.4 on a clean install of FreeBSD.
    >
    > Everytime I update to the new perl, if i try to compile everything
    > else it goes into an infinite loop, essentially telling me Automake,

    How are you doing this? I have installed various versions of FreeBSD over
    time (although not 5.3). In each case, I upgraded Perl after installation
    using the ports collection.

    Sinan
    A. Sinan Unur, Mar 29, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > Everytime I update to the new perl, if i try to compile everything else
    > it goes into an infinite loop, essentially telling me Automake, and
    > AutoConf are not installed. Once I hit that point I can't install
    > anything, including Automake and Autoconf.

    Did you read /usr/ports/UPDATING ?
    Pertti Kosunen, Mar 29, 2005