Perl6, Perl5, and CPAN

flifus

Hi all. I'm about to slug my way through half a dozen perl books, as I
want to learn it. What will happen when Perl6 come along? What will
happen to my Perl5 knowledge? and, what will happen to CPAN's Perl5
modules? Thanks.

Michele Dondi

Hi all. I'm about to slug my way through half a dozen perl books, as I
want to learn it. What will happen when Perl6 come along? What will

(Incidentally, any($Larry, @Larry, @others) prefer

s/(erl)([56])/$1 $2/g; # )

Perl 5 will still be around for a long time.
happen to my Perl5 knowledge? and, what will happen to CPAN's Perl5
modules? Thanks.

It won't be lost. They won't be lost:

: CPAN is my programming language of choice; the rest is just syntax.
: - Audrey Tang, Perl 6 is Here Today

Michele

Michele Dondi

;; (Incidentally, any($Larry, @Larry, @others) prefer
;;
;; s/(erl)([56])/$1 $2/g; # )

I prefer 'Perl6'. 'Perl 6' might give the impression it's version 6
of the language Perl. But 'Perl6' is a completely different language,
barely resembling Perl.

Yep, you're right. And I respect your experienced hacker's opinion.
But I respect more $Larry's will. AIUI it's a completely different
language, intendedly perlish enough to be still called Perl. Similar
enough to Perl 5 to allow for automatic translation of most reasonable
code. I know in advance your mileage *does* vary. That Middle Ages and
Reinassance thing, you know.

PS: good news is that the man with 22 years hacking Experience and TWO
degrees wants to join the core develepment team of PERL SIX. If you
have some time and want to have fun, read about this hilarious
troll/crank at <http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=613233>.

Michele