    Thank you in advance,

    Jomar
    , Apr 1, 2013

    On Monday, April 1, 2013 6:10:18 PM UTC-4, Ben Morrow wrote:
    > Quoth jomarbueyes
    >

    > > Is there a Perl compiler (perlcc) for Perl 5.12.3 running under Mac OS X

    > > 10.7.5?

    > Nope. perlcc never worked properly, and has been removed. If you just
    >
    > want to package your app up into a single executable, you might try PAR.
    >

    > (That said, it ought to be possible to build a Mac OS .app with a
    >
    > complete perl+modules distribution inside it, such that it would run
    >
    > independently of the system perl. You would need at a minimum to build a
    >
    > perl with -Duserelocatableinc, and it would probably be worth looking at
    >
    > the Strawberry Portable builds to see what they do.
    >

    > Given that Mac OS always has perl, it also ought to be possible to build
    >
    > a .app with just the required non-core modules in, including if
    >
    > necessary several versioned arch trees for the versions of perl supplied
    >
    > with the versions of Mac OS you want to support.
    >

    > I really like the concept of application directories. Comes of being
    >
    > brought up on RISC OS...)
    >

    > Ben

    Hi Ben,

    Thank you for your response. I'll download and instal PAR and will also investigate re-building Perl with the -Duserelocatableinc option (or might as well build a more recent Perl version).

    Thank you again,

    Jomar
    , Apr 2, 2013

    On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:29:48 AM UTC-4, Ben Morrow wrote:
    > [Please find out how to stop GGroups from double-spacing quotes.]
    >

    > Quoth jomarbueyes
    >
    > > On Monday, April 1, 2013 6:10:18 PM UTC-4, Ben Morrow wrote:

    > > > Quoth jomarbueyes

    > > > Nope. perlcc never worked properly, and has been removed. If you just

    > > > want to package your app up into a single executable, you might try PAR.

    > > > (That said, it ought to be possible to build a Mac OS .app with a

    > > > complete perl+modules distribution inside it, such that it would run

    > > > independently of the system perl. You would need at a minimum to build a

    > > > perl with -Duserelocatableinc, and it would probably be worth lookingat

    > > > the Strawberry Portable builds to see what they do.

    > > > Given that Mac OS always has perl, it also ought to be possible to build

    > > > a .app with just the required non-core modules in, including if

    > > > necessary several versioned arch trees for the versions of perl supplied

    > > > with the versions of Mac OS you want to support.

    > > > I really like the concept of application directories. Comes of being

    > > > brought up on RISC OS...)

    > > Thank you for your response. I'll download and instal PAR and will also

    > > investigate re-building Perl with the -Duserelocatableinc option (or

    > > might as well build a more recent Perl version).

    > Although both those suggestions were made off-the-cuff, if you're trying
    >
    > to ship a .app (for a GUI program, I assume? What are you using?) I
    >
    > would actually recommend the second option: just ship the modules needed
    >
    > to run your app on the system perl.
    >

    > AFAIK -Duserelocatableinc is not yet a turn-key solution; if you do
    >
    > decide to use it, my recommendation to look at Strawberry's Portable
    >
    > builds was a serious one, since I believe they had to make other
    >
    > modifications to get everything to work, and I believe there are still
    >
    > caveats about where the resulting binary will run from. In particular, I
    >
    > don't think any part of the perl toolchain will yet put up with spaces
    >
    > in paths, which means your .app can't have a space in its name, and if
    >
    > the user moves it somewhere with a space in the path things will break.
    >

    > Using the system perl avoids all the problems of relocating perl itself:
    >
    > the system perl is installed where it was built to be installed, and all
    >
    > you need to do is arrange to add a directory somewhere under your .app
    >
    > to @INC. The only slightly tricky bit would be populating that
    >
    > directory: you need to find out which versions of perl are used by which
    >
    > versions of Mac OS, build a private @INC tree for each of those versions
    >
    > with all the modules you require, and then merge those trees into a
    >
    > single @INC entry. Since perl keeps binary modules under versioned
    >
    > directories, this should be fairly straightforward, assuming you have
    >
    > access to all the versions of Mac OS you want to ship for. For building
    >
    > a self-contained copy of all non-core modules you require, you may want
    >
    > to look at App::cpanminus and the -L option to cpanm.
    >

    > Ben

    Hi Ben,

    My need is much simpler than a GUI. I have some Perl scripts and modules that I wrote to carry out some simple but tedious processing on a large list of objects (here object used in the grammatical, not programming sense). Now some colleagues would like to use my scripts in a shared Linux cluster to which neither of us has root access. My scripts and modules are no problem. The problem is that in my computers I installed a few modules from CPAN.. Those are the ones that we find difficult to use in the cluster and we have little or no hope to have them installed in a timely manner.

    Thank you again for your response,

    Jomar
    , Apr 4, 2013
  4. J?rgen Exner Guest

    wrote:
    >On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:29:48 AM UTC-4, Ben Morrow wrote:
    >> [Please find out how to stop GGroups from double-spacing quotes.]

    Would you please mind Ben's request? It is most annoying to have all
    those empty lines messing up the quoted text.

    >> Quoth jomarbueyes

    [...]
    >Hi Ben,
    >
    >My need is much simpler than a GUI. I have some Perl scripts and modules that I wrote to carry out some simple but tedious processing on a large list of objects (here object used in the grammatical, not programming sense). Now some colleagues would like to use my scripts in a shared Linux cluster to which neither of us has root access. My scripts and modules are no problem. The problem is that in my computers I installed a few modules from CPAN. Those are the ones that we find difficult to use in the cluster and we have little or no hope to have them installed in a timely manner.

    And would you please respect the more than 2 decade old custom to limit
    the line length to ~72-75 characters, too?

    >Thank you again for your response,

    You are welcome

    jue
    J?rgen Exner, Apr 4, 2013