perlcc for perl 5.12.3 for Mac OS X 10.7.5

jomarbueyes

Hi all,

Is there a Perl compiler (perlcc) for Perl 5.12.3 running under Mac OS X 10..7.5? From the Linux prompt I tried: which perlcc; perldoc perlcc; perldoc -f perlcc; perldoc -q perlcc; and perldoc -q compiler. Neither inquiry return a hint of the presence of the compiler or where to find it. I searched CPAN for perlcc and the query came back with Perl 5.8. Our local computer cluster still runs Perl 5.8 and does have a perlcc, which doesn't help me for several reasons.

If there is a compiler for Perl 5.12.3 under Mac OS X 10.7.5, where can I find it? If not for Perl 5.12.N, is there a perlcc for later Perl versions?

Thank you in advance,

Jomar

jomarbueyes

Quoth jomarbueyes

Nope. perlcc never worked properly, and has been removed. If you just

want to package your app up into a single executable, you might try PAR.

(That said, it ought to be possible to build a Mac OS .app with a

complete perl+modules distribution inside it, such that it would run

independently of the system perl. You would need at a minimum to build a

perl with -Duserelocatableinc, and it would probably be worth looking at

the Strawberry Portable builds to see what they do.

Given that Mac OS always has perl, it also ought to be possible to build

a .app with just the required non-core modules in, including if

necessary several versioned arch trees for the versions of perl supplied

with the versions of Mac OS you want to support.

I really like the concept of application directories. Comes of being

brought up on RISC OS...)

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your response. I'll download and instal PAR and will also investigate re-building Perl with the -Duserelocatableinc option (or might as well build a more recent Perl version).

Thank you again,

Jomar

jomarbueyes

[Please find out how to stop GGroups from double-spacing quotes.]

Quoth jomarbueyes
Thank you for your response. I'll download and instal PAR and will also
investigate re-building Perl with the -Duserelocatableinc option (or
might as well build a more recent Perl version).

Although both those suggestions were made off-the-cuff, if you're trying

to ship a .app (for a GUI program, I assume? What are you using?) I

would actually recommend the second option: just ship the modules needed

to run your app on the system perl.

AFAIK -Duserelocatableinc is not yet a turn-key solution; if you do

decide to use it, my recommendation to look at Strawberry's Portable

builds was a serious one, since I believe they had to make other

modifications to get everything to work, and I believe there are still

caveats about where the resulting binary will run from. In particular, I

don't think any part of the perl toolchain will yet put up with spaces

in paths, which means your .app can't have a space in its name, and if

the user moves it somewhere with a space in the path things will break.

Using the system perl avoids all the problems of relocating perl itself:

the system perl is installed where it was built to be installed, and all

you need to do is arrange to add a directory somewhere under your .app

to @INC. The only slightly tricky bit would be populating that

directory: you need to find out which versions of perl are used by which

versions of Mac OS, build a private @INC tree for each of those versions

with all the modules you require, and then merge those trees into a

single @INC entry. Since perl keeps binary modules under versioned

directories, this should be fairly straightforward, assuming you have

access to all the versions of Mac OS you want to ship for. For building

a self-contained copy of all non-core modules you require, you may want

to look at App::cpanminus and the -L option to cpanm.

Ben

Hi Ben,

My need is much simpler than a GUI. I have some Perl scripts and modules that I wrote to carry out some simple but tedious processing on a large list of objects (here object used in the grammatical, not programming sense). Now some colleagues would like to use my scripts in a shared Linux cluster to which neither of us has root access. My scripts and modules are no problem. The problem is that in my computers I installed a few modules from CPAN.. Those are the ones that we find difficult to use in the cluster and we have little or no hope to have them installed in a timely manner.

Thank you again for your response,

Jomar

J?rgen Exner

[Please find out how to stop GGroups from double-spacing quotes.]

Would you please mind Ben's request? It is most annoying to have all
those empty lines messing up the quoted text.
Quoth jomarbueyes
[...]
Hi Ben,

My need is much simpler than a GUI. I have some Perl scripts and modules that I wrote to carry out some simple but tedious processing on a large list of objects (here object used in the grammatical, not programming sense). Now some colleagues would like to use my scripts in a shared Linux cluster to which neither of us has root access. My scripts and modules are no problem. The problem is that in my computers I installed a few modules from CPAN. Those are the ones that we find difficult to use in the cluster and we have little or no hope to have them installed in a timely manner.

And would you please respect the more than 2 decade old custom to limit
the line length to ~72-75 characters, too?
Thank you again for your response,

You are welcome

jue