    I'm guessing it might be rdoc, but we're not yet on speaking terms.
    Anyone willing to introduce me? <laughs>

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Aug 28, 2004

  2. James Edward Gray II

    James Britt Guest

    James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > Does Ruby have a bundled documentation reader?
    >
    > I'm guessing it might be rdoc, but we're not yet on speaking terms.
    > Anyone willing to introduce me? <laughs>
    >
    > James Edward Gray II

    In general, you can run 'ri' at the command line, along with the name of
    a class, module, or method, (and combinations) and see documentation
    (the documentation comes from running rdoc over the source code):

    % ri String.center
    ---------------------------------------------------------- String#center
    str.center(integer) => new_str
    If _integer_ is greater than the length of _str_, returns a new
    +String+ of length _integer_ with _str_ centered between spaces;
    otherwise, returns _str_.

    "hello".center(4) #=> "hello"

    "hello".center(20) #=> " hello "

    % ri String

    ---------------------------------------------------------- Class: String
    A +String+ object holds and manipulates an arbitrary sequence of
    bytes, typically representing characters. String objects may be
    created using +String::new+ or as literals.

    Because of aliasing issues, users of strings should be aware of the
    methods that modify the contents of a +String+ object. Typically,
    methods with names ending in ``!'' modify their receiver, while
    those without a ``!'' return a new +String+. However, there are
    exceptions, such as +String#[]=+.

    Includes:
    ---------
    Comparable(<, <=, ==, >, >=, between?), Enumerable(all?, any?,
    collect, detect, each_with_index, entries, find, find_all, grep,
    include?, inject, map, max, member?, min, partition, reject,
    select, sort, sort_by, to_a, to_set, zip)

    Class methods:
    --------------
    new

    Instance methods:
    -----------------
    %, *, +, <<, <=>, ==, =~, [], []=, capitalize, capitalize!,
    casecmp, center, chomp, chomp!, chop, chop!, concat, count, crypt,
    delete, delete!, downcase, downcase!, dump, each, each_byte,
    each_line, empty?, eql?, gsub, gsub!, hash, hex, include?, index,
    initialize_copy, insert, inspect, intern, length, ljust, lstrip,
    lstrip!, match, next, next!, oct, replace, reverse, reverse!,
    rindex, rjust, rstrip, rstrip!, scan, size, slice, slice!, split,
    squeeze, squeeze!, strip, strip!, sub, sub!, succ, succ!, sum,
    swapcase, swapcase!, to_f, to_i, to_s, to_str, to_sym, tr, tr!,
    tr_s, tr_s!, unpack, upcase, upcase!, upto

    James Britt, Aug 28, 2004

  3. On Aug 27, 2004, at 7:34 PM, James Britt wrote:

    > James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >
    >> Does Ruby have a bundled documentation reader?
    >> I'm guessing it might be rdoc, but we're not yet on speaking terms.
    >> Anyone willing to introduce me? <laughs>
    >> James Edward Gray II

    > In general, you can run 'ri' at the command line, along with the name
    > of a class, module, or method, (and combinations) and see
    > documentation

    This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but when I tried it...

    % ri String
    No ri documentation found in:
    /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/system
    /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site
    /Users/james/.rdoc

    Was rdoc run to create documentation?

    So I tried:

    % rdoc

    Which scrolled a lot of source files. Unfortunately, it didn't change
    ri's response. What am I missing here?

    Thanks.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Aug 28, 2004
  4. James Edward Gray II

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Aug 27, 2004, at 20:43, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > % ri String
    > No ri documentation found in:
    > /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/system
    > /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site
    > /Users/james/.rdoc
    >
    > Was rdoc run to create documentation?
    >
    > So I tried:
    >
    > % rdoc
    >
    > Which scrolled a lot of source files. Unfortunately, it didn't change
    > ri's response. What am I missing here?

    Did you install Ruby from source. If so, go into the lib directory and
    type sudo ri --system and it will install all the documentation.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Hi --

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Aug 27, 2004, at 20:43, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >
    > > % ri String
    > > No ri documentation found in:
    > > /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/system
    > > /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site
    > > /Users/james/.rdoc
    > >
    > > Was rdoc run to create documentation?
    > >
    > > So I tried:
    > >
    > > % rdoc
    > >
    > > Which scrolled a lot of source files. Unfortunately, it didn't change
    > > ri's response. What am I missing here?

    > Did you install Ruby from source. If so, go into the lib directory and
    > type sudo ri --system and it will install all the documentation.

    Is that supposed to be rdoc --ri-system and/or rdoc --ri-site? I
    couldn't find any ri that accepted a --system argument.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Aug 28, 2004
  6. On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:08 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

    > Did you install Ruby from source.

    I did, yes.

    > If so, go into the lib directory

    Does /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/ sound about right?

    Would it have a ton of files like:

    irb
    irb.rb
    uri
    uri.rb

    ?

    > and type sudo ri --system and it will install all the documentation.

    The closest I could come up with was sudo rdoc --ri-system. That did a
    lot of work, and even changed ri's responses. Now I get:

    % ri String
    Nothing known about String

    Thanks.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Aug 28, 2004
  7. James Edward Gray II

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Aug 27, 2004, at 21:35, David A. Black wrote:

    > Is that supposed to be rdoc --ri-system and/or rdoc --ri-site? I
    > couldn't find any ri that accepted a --system argument.

    --ri-system

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Aug 28, 2004
  8. James Edward Gray II

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Aug 27, 2004, at 22:46, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > Does /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/ sound about right?

    You want to go to the source distribution's lib/ directory.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Aug 28, 2004
  9. On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 09:43:19AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > >In general, you can run 'ri' at the command line, along with the name
    > >of a class, module, or method, (and combinations) and see
    > >documentation

    > This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but when I tried it...
    >
    > % ri String
    > No ri documentation found in:
    > /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/system
    > /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site
    > /Users/james/.rdoc
    >
    > Was rdoc run to create documentation?

    Many people have a hard time generating the documentation from the
    sources -- it takes a long time, rdoc often dies in the process (after
    processing for several minutes) and you have to download the sources,
    etc...

    I thought some of them would benefit from a packaged version of ri/rdoc's
    runtime plus pre-generated RI data files. If you have rpa-base installed
    just
    rpa install ri-rpa
    will get the RPAfied ri with all the needed documentation.
    Additionally, ri-rpa provides ri integration for other libraries
    installed through rpa-base, as shown in
    http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.cgi?Rpa_Base_In_Action/Ri_Integration

    You can find more information about rpa-base at
    http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/
    and download it from there if you want.

    --
    Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
    batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

    Mauricio Fernández, Aug 28, 2004
  10. James Edward Gray II

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Aug 28, 2004, at 5:41, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
    > Many people have a hard time generating the documentation from the
    > sources -- it takes a long time, rdoc often dies in the process (after
    > processing for several minutes) and you have to download the sources,
    > etc...

    I do wish folks would tell me when they see this happening: if there's
    a problem here I'd like to fix it.

    If you run RDoc and it dies on you while processing the source tree,
    please post the message it produces, along with a description of what
    you were ding, and I'll work on it.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Aug 28, 2004
  11. James Edward Gray II

    James Britt Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Aug 28, 2004, at 5:41, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
    >
    >> Many people have a hard time generating the documentation from the
    >> sources -- it takes a long time, rdoc often dies in the process (after
    >> processing for several minutes) and you have to download the sources,
    >> etc...

    > I do wish folks would tell me when they see this happening: if there's a
    > problem here I'd like to fix it.

    Dave,

    When someone has a problem with rdoc, is there something that tells them
    who to contact?

    > If you run RDoc and it dies on you while processing the source tree,
    > please post the message it produces, along with a description of what
    > you were ding, and I'll work on it.

    People often (relatively speaking) post such problems to the ruby-doc
    list. If no one there can help them then they are encouraged to post to
    ruby-talk.

    But as these sorts for questions come up semi-regularly, I'm putting
    together a ruby-doc FAQ to help explain getting ri working. Is there a
    specific way you would prefer to be reached if someone has a problem?

    Also, if anyone has discovered quirks (and solutions) when installing
    the ri data files on assorted OS, please let me know (jbritt AT ruby-doc
    DOT org) so I can document them in the FAQ.

    Thanks,

    James

    James Britt, Aug 29, 2004
  12. James Edward Gray II

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Aug 28, 2004, at 21:00, James Britt wrote:

    > When someone has a problem with rdoc, is there something that tells
    > them
    > who to contact?

    They can contact me, or mail to this list.

    > But as these sorts for questions come up semi-regularly, I'm putting
    > together a ruby-doc FAQ to help explain getting ri working. Is there a
    > specific way you would prefer to be reached if someone has a problem?

    I'd really rather you didn't. Instead, I'd like to find out what issues
    folks have and then make things so that no FAQ is necessary.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Aug 29, 2004
  13. James Edward Gray II

    James Britt Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Aug 28, 2004, at 21:00, James Britt wrote:

    >> But as these sorts for questions come up semi-regularly, I'm putting
    >> together a ruby-doc FAQ to help explain getting ri working. Is there a
    >> specific way you would prefer to be reached if someone has a problem?

    > I'd really rather you didn't. Instead, I'd like to find out what issues
    > folks have and then make things so that no FAQ is necessary.

    Well, these are already FAQs; what remains is what to tell people when
    they ask them. I haven't installed from source lately, but as I recall,
    rdoc/ri file were not installed by default. So, FAQ #1 is, How do I get
    ri working? Currently, it is not obvious to enough people, so they ask.

    Some people, after trying to run rdoc to create the ri files, have
    problems. Sometimes it's because they ran rdoc on the wrong directory.
    If that's the case, then see FAQ #1. Sometimes there's some other
    issue. When they ask about this, should the response always be,
    "Contact Dave Thomas?"

    I'm not saying you shouldn't be informed of problems, but what do people
    do while waiting for an answer? If there are known issues on certain
    platforms, or certain distributions, and known workarounds for these,
    why not simply pass them on while they are being taken care of, and
    forwarding the details to you?

    Thanks,

    James

    James Britt, Aug 29, 2004
  14. On Aug 27, 2004, at 11:21 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Aug 27, 2004, at 21:35, David A. Black wrote:
    >
    >> Is that supposed to be rdoc --ri-system and/or rdoc --ri-site? I
    >> couldn't find any ri that accepted a --system argument.

    > --ri-system

    I'm still not getting along with rdoc and ri.

    When I use your suggestion above, I see...

    % rdoc --ri-system

    unrecognized option `--ri-system'

    For help on options, try 'rdoc --help'

    Replacing --ri-system with --ri-site SEEMS to do the trick as near as I
    can tell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    So, I went to the 1.8.1 source directory "lib" as you suggested in
    another message. Running rdoc there seems to get me some
    documentation, but not all of it. For example, String is missing a lot
    of methods and Array and Hash both list only one.

    I tried backing up to the root directory of the source and building the
    documentation from there. That's the closest I've ever come to getting
    usable docs, but there are still some issues. Here's some example ri
    requests, after generating the docs this way:

    % ri Array

    ---------------------------------------------------------- Module: Array
    Arrays are ordered, integer-indexed collections of any object.
    Array indexing starts at 0, as in C or Java. A negative index is
    assumed to be relative to the end of the array---that is, an index
    of -1 indicates the last element of the array, -2 is the next to
    last element in the array, and so on.

    % ri Array#push
    Nothing known about Array#push

    % ri Hash

    ----------------------------------------------------------- Module: Hash
    Maps: Hash#to_yaml

    Any further tips are very much appreciated. I'm pretty frustrated with
    the docs process, I feel like this should be simple.

    If it helps, I'm on Mac OS X.3.5 building Ruby 1.8.1.

    Thanks.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Sep 5, 2004
  15. On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:59:21AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > I'm still not getting along with rdoc and ri.

    [...]
    > Any further tips are very much appreciated. I'm pretty frustrated with
    > the docs process, I feel like this should be simple.
    >
    > If it helps, I'm on Mac OS X.3.5 building Ruby 1.8.1.

    You might want to try to install the pre-generated RI data-files
    distributed with ri-rpa. I know of another OSX user who was experiencing
    problems with ri/rdoc and could get ri-rpa to work.

    You can download rpa-base from http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org
    and then just
    $ rpa install ri-rpa
    you can then test
    $ ri-rpa Hash

    Plz tell me if you experience any problem.

    Mauricio Fernández, Sep 5, 2004
  16. James Edward Gray II

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Sep 5, 2004, at 13:59, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > When I use your suggestion above, I see...
    >
    > % rdoc --ri-system
    >
    > unrecognized option `--ri-system'

    You are using an out-0of-date ri.

    The new version is available with Ruby 1.8.2

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Sep 6, 2004
  17. James Edward Gray II

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Sep 5, 2004, at 14:24, Mauricio Fernández wrote:

    > On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:59:21AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >> I'm still not getting along with rdoc and ri.

    > [...]
    >> Any further tips are very much appreciated. I'm pretty frustrated
    >> with
    >> the docs process, I feel like this should be simple.
    >>
    >> If it helps, I'm on Mac OS X.3.5 building Ruby 1.8.1.

    > You might want to try to install the pre-generated RI data-files
    > distributed with ri-rpa. I know of another OSX user who was
    > experiencing
    > problems with ri/rdoc and could get ri-rpa to work.

    I'm an OSX user and have no problems with ri/rdoc :)

    I just use the recent source.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Sep 6, 2004
  18. On Sep 5, 2004, at 7:27 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Sep 5, 2004, at 13:59, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >
    >> When I use your suggestion above, I see...
    >>
    >> % rdoc --ri-system
    >>
    >> unrecognized option `--ri-system'

    > You are using an out-0of-date ri.
    >
    > The new version is available with Ruby 1.8.2

    That was it. You fixed my problem. I finally have Ruby doc available
    for easy access. Thanks much.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Sep 6, 2004
  19. On Sep 5, 2004, at 2:24 PM, Mauricio Fernández wrote:

    > On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:59:21AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >> I'm still not getting along with rdoc and ri.

    > [...]
    >> Any further tips are very much appreciated. I'm pretty frustrated
    >> with
    >> the docs process, I feel like this should be simple.
    >>
    >> If it helps, I'm on Mac OS X.3.5 building Ruby 1.8.1.

    > You might want to try to install the pre-generated RI data-files
    > distributed with ri-rpa. I know of another OSX user who was
    > experiencing
    > problems with ri/rdoc and could get ri-rpa to work.

    I wanted to say thank you for trying to help me twice now. I wasn't
    completely ignoring your suggestions. I haven't gotten around to
    checking out rpa yet, but it's on my list. Thanks again.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Sep 6, 2004
  20. [OT] Re: Perldoc Equivalent?

    On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 12:38:10AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > >You might want to try to install the pre-generated RI data-files
    > >distributed with ri-rpa. I know of another OSX user who was
    > >experiencing
    > >problems with ri/rdoc and could get ri-rpa to work.

    > I wanted to say thank you for trying to help me twice now. I wasn't
    > completely ignoring your suggestions. I haven't gotten around to
    > checking out rpa yet, but it's on my list. Thanks again.

    Ouch! It was in another branch of the same thread, over 1 week ago, but
    I still have this moronic feeling :p
    Don't feel forced to try it out, plz interpret my accidental insistence
    as a proof of idiocy rather than a deliberate attempt to force you to
    install it :)

    Mauricio Fernández, Sep 6, 2004