perldoc incompetence: perlre /s

John Bokma

Xah said:
today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
perlre".

You mean \s?

Uri Guttman

XL> today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
XL> exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
XL> perlre".

XL> Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

you are a fucking moron. but what else is new?

In addition, Perl defines the following:

\s Match a whitespace character

space \s [2]

[2] Not I<exactly equivalent> to C<\s> since the C<[[:space:]]> includes
also the (very rare) `vertical tabulator', "\ck", chr(11).

now, what characters could be considered whitespace? ever think about
checking other references about it? i doubt your brane could comprehend
such a thought, that perl relies on other docs too! oy vey!! perl is so
bad because the entire world of computing docs are not in its >1k
pages!! oh let larry shoot himself for that omission!

man isspace

isspace()
Tests for any space, tab, carriage-return, newline,
vertical-tab or form-feed (standard white-space char-
acters) or for one of the current locale-defined set
of characters for which isalnum() is false. In the C
locale, isspace() returns true only for the standard
white-space characters.

hmm, anyone with a small skill in computers could put those two together
and figure it out. but perl is not for morons like you! it requires a
functioning neuron or two. vb is around the corner over there -->. enjoy
it.

uri

Tore Aursand

today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined.

When did /s become - or represent - whitespace?

Ala Qumsieh

[I usually don't reply to such posts, but I'll make an exception this time]

Xah said:
today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
perlre".

I remember your posts from when I used to frequent this newsgroup 5 or
so years ago. They have always been anti-Perl, always boasting at how
other languages are superior to Perl, and how you can't stand its
syntax, and never showing a real grasp on its constructs. Not much has
changed I see.

It's simply amazing that after all of this time you can't figure out the
difference between \s and /s in regexps, even when your perldoc command
conveniently displays the answer right in front of you. Don't blame Perl
for your incompetence and lack of will to read some documentation. You
two are not meant to be together. Just let it be, and move along.
Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

I see that after so many long, ill-written posts of derogatory anti-Perl
comments that didn't do much, you resort to name calling and filthy
language.

Please take your dirty laundry elsewhere. If you don't like Perl, then
*PLEASE* don't use it. Adopt any of the myriad other languages out
there, and post to their newsgroups.

--Ala

Uri Guttman

XL> Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

you prove your stupidity everytime you post here. you hate perl and yet
always seem to go back to it. why? do none of your other vaunter
languages have the power to solve the problems you have? do you not have
the brains to use them properly? ever heard of turing compability? ever
heard about writing algorithms in any language? so why do you insist on
banging your head against the perl wall? must be 'cause you are autistic
or something. get a helmet then and work in a padded room. you will be
safe from perl and we will be safe from you.

now stay away from perl and this group. the world will be a better place
that way.

uri

James Willmore

today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
perlre".

(from perlre)

NAME
perlre - Perl regular expressions

DESCRIPTION
This page describes the syntax of regular expressions in Perl.

s Treat string as single line. That is, change "." to match any
character whatsoever, even a newline, which normally it would not
match.

The "/s" and "/m" modifiers both override the $* setting. That is,
no matter what $* contains, "/s" without "/m" will force "^" to
match only at the beginning of the string and "$" to match only at
the end (or just before a newline at the end) of the string.
Together, as /ms, they let the "." match any character whatsoever,
while still allowing "^" and "$" to match, respectively, just
after and just before newlines within the string.

In addition, Perl defines the following:

\w Match a "word" character (alphanumeric plus "_") \W Match a
non-"word" character
\s Match a whitespace character
\S Match a non-whitespace character
\d Match a digit character
\D Match a non-digit character
\pP Match P, named property. Use \p{Prop} for longer names. \PP
Match non-P
\X Match eXtended Unicode "combining character sequence",
equivalent to (?:\PM\pM*)
\C Match a single C char (octet) even under Unicode.
NOTE: breaks up characters into their UTF-8 bytes, so you may
end up with malformed pieces of UTF-8. Unsupported in
lookbehind.

(end quote of perlre)
Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

Yes, there is :) Both ways (/s and \s) :)

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a
boy.

John Bokma

Tad said:
The overwhelming majority of Perl coders are men.

You are most bold coming out like that in such a public forum!

Why? It´s 2004, even 2000 years ago, in many countries, being gay or
bisexual was accepted.

Matija Papec

John Bokma said:
Why? It´s 2004, even 2000 years ago, in many countries, being gay or
bisexual was accepted.

I guess acceptance has nothing to do with it, OP didn't wrote "**** gay Perl
coders". :)

John Bokma

Matija said:

I guess acceptance has nothing to do with it, OP didn't wrote "**** gay Perl
coders". :)

I agree and but the reply "The overwhelming majority of Perl coders are
men." and Being "most bold" sounded not nice in my ears :-(

Michele Dondi

today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out [snip]
Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

Michele

Michele Dondi

today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
perlre".

Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

Well, maybe because it's \s?!?

Michele

Vetle Roeim

* Michele Dondi
today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out [snip]
Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our business.
;-)

l v

Vetle said:
* Michele Dondi
today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
[snip]

Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our business.
;-)
I thought he was talking about himself as well.

Len

Michele Dondi

today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out

[snip]

Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our business.
I thought he was talking about himself as well.

Huh?!?

I was talking about why one that says "**** Perl and **** Perl coders"
should also say "today i'm writing some perl code involving regex",
only two lines above... if I don't like language xyz then I don't
program in xyz. Why should I program in xyz just to complain that xyz
sucks?!?

Michele

l v

Vetle said:
* l. v.
Vetle Roeim wrote:

* Michele Dondi
[...]
Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our
business. ;-)

I thought he was talking about himself as well.

Um... Who are you talking about? Michele or Lee?

I was talking about the OP and what he/she wants to do to Perl coders
.... and it was a bad joke. I no way was I referring to Michele or Lee,
sorry if it appeared I was.

Len

l v

l said:
Vetle said:
* l. v.
Vetle Roeim wrote:

* Michele Dondi

[...]

Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our
business. ;-)

I thought he was talking about himself as well.

Um... Who are you talking about? Michele or Lee?

I was talking about the OP and what he/she wants to do to Perl coders
... and it was a bad joke. I no way was I referring to Michele or Lee,
sorry if it appeared I was.

Len

cut and pasted wrong
I no way was I referring to Michele !! Lee was the OP

Len