    Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    Xah

    http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html
    Xah Lee, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:

    > today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
    > exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
    > perlre".

    You mean \s?

    --
    John personal page: http://johnbokma.com/

    Experienced Perl / Java developer available - http://castleamber.com/
    John Bokma, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Xah Lee

    Uri Guttman Guest

    XL> today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
    XL> exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
    XL> perlre".

    XL> Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    you are a fucking moron. but what else is new?

    In addition, Perl defines the following:

    \s Match a whitespace character

    space \s [2]

    [2] Not I<exactly equivalent> to C<\s> since the C<[[:space:]]> includes
    also the (very rare) `vertical tabulator', "\ck", chr(11).

    now, what characters could be considered whitespace? ever think about
    checking other references about it? i doubt your brane could comprehend
    such a thought, that perl relies on other docs too! oy vey!! perl is so
    bad because the entire world of computing docs are not in its >1k
    pages!! oh let larry shoot himself for that omission!

    man isspace

    isspace()
    Tests for any space, tab, carriage-return, newline,
    vertical-tab or form-feed (standard white-space char-
    acters) or for one of the current locale-defined set
    of characters for which isalnum() is false. In the C
    locale, isspace() returns true only for the standard
    white-space characters.

    hmm, anyone with a small skill in computers could put those two together
    and figure it out. but perl is not for morons like you! it requires a
    functioning neuron or two. vb is around the corner over there -->. enjoy
    it.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Xah Lee

    Tore Aursand Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:59:03 -0700, Xah Lee wrote:
    > today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
    > exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined.

    When did /s become - or represent - whitespace?

    --
    Tore Aursand <>
    "To cease smoking is the easiset thing I ever did. I ought to know,
    Tore Aursand, Apr 12, 2004
  5. Xah Lee

    Ala Qumsieh Guest

    [I usually don't reply to such posts, but I'll make an exception this time]

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
    > exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
    > perlre".

    I remember your posts from when I used to frequent this newsgroup 5 or
    so years ago. They have always been anti-Perl, always boasting at how
    other languages are superior to Perl, and how you can't stand its
    syntax, and never showing a real grasp on its constructs. Not much has
    changed I see.

    It's simply amazing that after all of this time you can't figure out the
    difference between \s and /s in regexps, even when your perldoc command
    conveniently displays the answer right in front of you. Don't blame Perl
    for your incompetence and lack of will to read some documentation. You
    two are not meant to be together. Just let it be, and move along.

    > Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    I see that after so many long, ill-written posts of derogatory anti-Perl
    comments that didn't do much, you resort to name calling and filthy
    language.

    Please take your dirty laundry elsewhere. If you don't like Perl, then
    *PLEASE* don't use it. Adopt any of the myriad other languages out
    there, and post to their newsgroups.

    --Ala
    Ala Qumsieh, Apr 12, 2004
  6. Xah Lee <> wrote:

    > **** Perl coders.

    The overwhelming majority of Perl coders are men.

    You are most bold coming out like that in such a public forum!

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Apr 12, 2004
  7. Xah Lee

    Uri Guttman Guest

    XL> Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    you prove your stupidity everytime you post here. you hate perl and yet
    always seem to go back to it. why? do none of your other vaunter
    languages have the power to solve the problems you have? do you not have
    the brains to use them properly? ever heard of turing compability? ever
    heard about writing algorithms in any language? so why do you insist on
    banging your head against the perl wall? must be 'cause you are autistic
    or something. get a helmet then and work in a padded room. you will be
    safe from perl and we will be safe from you.

    now stay away from perl and this group. the world will be a better place
    that way.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 12, 2004
  8. On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:59:03 -0700, Xah Lee wrote:

    > today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
    > exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
    > perlre".

    (from perlre)

    NAME
    perlre - Perl regular expressions

    DESCRIPTION
    This page describes the syntax of regular expressions in Perl.

    s Treat string as single line. That is, change "." to match any
    character whatsoever, even a newline, which normally it would not
    match.

    The "/s" and "/m" modifiers both override the $* setting. That is,
    no matter what $* contains, "/s" without "/m" will force "^" to
    match only at the beginning of the string and "$" to match only at
    the end (or just before a newline at the end) of the string.
    Together, as /ms, they let the "." match any character whatsoever,
    while still allowing "^" and "$" to match, respectively, just
    after and just before newlines within the string.

    In addition, Perl defines the following:

    \w Match a "word" character (alphanumeric plus "_") \W Match a
    non-"word" character
    \s Match a whitespace character
    \S Match a non-whitespace character
    \d Match a digit character
    \D Match a non-digit character
    \pP Match P, named property. Use \p{Prop} for longer names. \PP
    Match non-P
    \X Match eXtended Unicode "combining character sequence",
    equivalent to (?:\PM\pM*)
    \C Match a single C char (octet) even under Unicode.
    NOTE: breaks up characters into their UTF-8 bytes, so you may
    end up with malformed pieces of UTF-8. Unsupported in
    lookbehind.

    (end quote of perlre)

    > Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    Yes, there is :) Both ways (/s and \s) :)

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a
    boy.
    James Willmore, Apr 12, 2004
  9. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Tad McClellan wrote:

    > Xah Lee <> wrote:
    >
    >>**** Perl coders.

    > The overwhelming majority of Perl coders are men.
    >
    > You are most bold coming out like that in such a public forum!

    Why? It´s 2004, even 2000 years ago, in many countries, being gay or
    bisexual was accepted.

    John Bokma, Apr 12, 2004
  10. Xah Lee

    Matija Papec Guest

    John Bokma <> wrote:
    >>>**** Perl coders.

    >> The overwhelming majority of Perl coders are men.
    >>
    >> You are most bold coming out like that in such a public forum!

    >Why? It´s 2004, even 2000 years ago, in many countries, being gay or
    >bisexual was accepted.

    I guess acceptance has nothing to do with it, OP didn't wrote "**** gay Perl
    coders". :)

    --
    Matija
    Matija Papec, Apr 12, 2004
  11. Xah Lee

    John Bokma Guest

    Matija Papec wrote:

    >>>The overwhelming majority of Perl coders are men.
    >>>
    >>>You are most bold coming out like that in such a public forum!

    >>Why? It´s 2004, even 2000 years ago, in many countries, being gay or
    >>bisexual was accepted.

    > I guess acceptance has nothing to do with it, OP didn't wrote "**** gay Perl
    > coders". :)

    I agree and but the reply "The overwhelming majority of Perl coders are
    men." and Being "most bold" sounded not nice in my ears :-(

    John Bokma, Apr 12, 2004
  12. On 11 Apr 2004 19:59:03 -0700, (Xah Lee) wrote:

    >today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out

    [snip]
    >Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
    Michele Dondi, Apr 13, 2004
  13. On 11 Apr 2004 19:59:03 -0700, (Xah Lee) wrote:

    >today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out
    >exactly what is /s (whitespace) is defined. So i did "perldoc -t
    >perlre".
    >
    >Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    Well, maybe because it's \s?!?

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
    Michele Dondi, Apr 13, 2004
  14. Xah Lee

    Vetle Roeim Guest

    * Michele Dondi
    > On 11 Apr 2004 19:59:03 -0700, (Xah Lee) wrote:
    >
    >>today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out

    > [snip]
    >>Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    > Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

    What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our business.
    ;-)

    --
    #!/usr/bin/vr
    Vetle Roeim, Apr 13, 2004
  15. Xah Lee

    l v Guest

    Vetle Roeim wrote:

    > * Michele Dondi
    >
    >>On 11 Apr 2004 19:59:03 -0700, (Xah Lee) wrote:
    >>

    >>>today i'm writing some perl code involving regex. I wanted to find out

    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>>Fucking no mention of it. **** Perl and **** Perl coders.

    >>Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

    > What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our business.
    > ;-)

    I thought he was talking about himself as well.

    Len
    l v, Apr 14, 2004
  16. On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:00:21 -0500, l v <> wrote:

    >>>[snip]

    >>>Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

    >> What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our business.
    >>

    >I thought he was talking about himself as well.

    Huh?!?

    I was talking about why one that says "**** Perl and **** Perl coders"
    should also say "today i'm writing some perl code involving regex",
    only two lines above... if I don't like language xyz then I don't
    program in xyz. Why should I program in xyz just to complain that xyz
    sucks?!?

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,
    Michele Dondi, Apr 14, 2004
  17. Xah Lee

    Vetle Roeim Guest

    * l. v.
    > Vetle Roeim wrote:
    >
    >> * Michele Dondi

    [...]
    >>>Am I the only one seeing the contradiction?!?

    >> What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our
    >> business. ;-)
    >>

    > I thought he was talking about himself as well.

    Um... Who are you talking about? Michele or Lee?

    --
    #!/usr/bin/vr
    Vetle Roeim, Apr 14, 2004
  18. Xah Lee

    l v Guest

    Vetle Roeim wrote:

    > * l. v.
    >
    >>Vetle Roeim wrote:
    >>

    >>>* Michele Dondi
    >>>

    > [...]
    >>>
    >>> What he does in the privacy of his own home is none of our
    >>> business. ;-)
    >>>

    >>I thought he was talking about himself as well.

    > Um... Who are you talking about? Michele or Lee?

    I was talking about the OP and what he/she wants to do to Perl coders
    .... and it was a bad joke. I no way was I referring to Michele or Lee,
    sorry if it appeared I was.

    Len
    l v, Apr 15, 2004
  19. Xah Lee

    l v Guest

    l v wrote:

    > Vetle Roeim wrote:
    >
    >> * l. v.

    >> [...]
    >>>>

    >>> I thought he was talking about himself as well.

    >> Um... Who are you talking about? Michele or Lee?
    >>

    > I was talking about the OP and what he/she wants to do to Perl coders
    > ... and it was a bad joke. I no way was I referring to Michele or Lee,
    > sorry if it appeared I was.
    >
    > Len

    cut and pasted wrong
    I no way was I referring to Michele !! Lee was the OP

    Len
    l v, Apr 15, 2004