    Is there any document talk about how to write the comment structure?
    And use what tool to generate the HTML? Thanks!

    Davy

    Davy, Aug 13, 2006

  2. "Davy" <> writes:

    > I found there is a PerlDoc comment structure used in CPAN Perl Module.
    > And HTML document can be generated automatically from Perl file (like
    > NAME, SYNOPSIS, DESCRIPTION...).
    >
    > Is there any document talk about how to write the comment structure?

    Yes - see 'perldoc perlpod'.

    > And use what tool to generate the HTML? Thanks!

    See 'perldoc pod2html'.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Re: PerlDoc used in CPAN?--MULTIPOSTED

    writes:

    > "Davy" <> wrote:
    >>> [ snip and ignore MULTIPOSTED message ]

    > ********** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD ***********

    Get bent. I'll reply to whomever I please, and I'll do so in a manner that's
    far more constructive and helpful than your self-riteous whine-bot will
    *EVER* be.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 13, 2006
  4. Davy

    John Bokma Guest

    Sherm Pendley <> wrote:

    > writes:

    >> ********** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD
    >> ***********

    > Get bent. I'll reply to whomever I please, and I'll do so in a manner
    > that's far more constructive and helpful than your self-riteous
    > whine-bot will *EVER* be.

    Yup, I agree, the bot post is more annoying and unreadable then a flame
    from a regular.

    --
    John Bokma Freelance software developer
    &

    John Bokma, Aug 13, 2006
  5. Davy

    Paul Lalli Guest

    wrote:
    > "Davy" <> wrote:
    > >> [ snip and ignore MULTIPOSTED message ]

    > ********** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD ***********
    >
    > This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:
    > <>
    > <>

    Is this suppose to be irony? The message IDs are identical. The OP DID
    cross post, but this idiotic bot MULTIPOSTED. And why the hell didn't
    it detect its own multiposting?

    > # Q-Who wrote this program? A-- I am not trying to keep my identity #
    > # a big secret (it's easy enough to find out who I am, and group #
    > # regulars probably recognize my rants). But I choose to run this #
    > # scanner anonymously because some posters will be determined to #
    > # take offense at this.

    And by that you mean that everyone who's replied to your various
    tirades about Multiposting has disagreed with you? Everything from
    "multiposting to p.b and c.l.p.m should be okay" to "instruct the OP,
    yes, but burn the thread, no."?

    > If they get mad at me, their anger may #
    > # spill over into future postings that I participate in.

    And how does not posting your address here prevent that, since, as you
    said, all the "regulars" already know who you are?

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Aug 14, 2006
  6. Davy

    Matt Garrish Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > writes:

    > > ********** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD ***********

    > Get bent. I'll reply to whomever I please, and I'll do so in a manner that's
    > far more constructive and helpful than your self-riteous whine-bot will
    > *EVER* be.

    There is much that is annoying about the bot (in particular David's
    intimation that he knows best where the thread should be answered). If
    he were to remove all the junk and simply indicate where the other
    posts have gone so that responses can be set accordingly it might not
    be so bad, though.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Aug 14, 2006
  7. Davy

    Guest

    Paul Lalli wrote:
    > Is this suppose to be irony? The message IDs are identical. The OP DID
    > cross post, but this idiotic bot MULTIPOSTED

    Yeah, I tested the ever living heck out of this thing (see
    alt.test.test, alt.test.test2, and alt.test.testing). But, during
    testing, I commented out this line (as a test case):

    next MSGNUM if @threads == 1; #ignore plain crossposts

    And I forgot to un-comment it. I feel totally stupid.

    > And why the hell didn't it detect its own multiposting?

    Because it ignores any message with a "References" header.

    DF> > If they get mad at me, their anger may
    DF> > # spill over into future postings that I participate in.

    > And how does not posting your address here prevent that, since, as you
    > said, all the "regulars" already know who you are?

    An OP who gets flagged in a future post can do a historical search on
    the message (or search in the testing newsgroups) and determine my
    identity (and that's fine). But I doubt many OPs would think to do
    that.

    , Aug 14, 2006
  8. Davy

    Guest

    Re: PerlDoc used in CPAN?--MULTIPOSTED

    I have opened a new thread in CLPMisc to consolidate continued
    discussion on the multipost bot: http://tinyurl.com/nkg7y (this
    discussion is clearly OT to the original post).

    If you wish to reply regarding this topic, I respectfully ask that you
    do so in the new thread (and quote context so folks can follow along).

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 14, 2006
  9. Davy

    Davy Guest

    wrote:
    > "Davy" <> wrote:
    > >> [ snip and ignore MULTIPOSTED message ]

    [snip]
    Hi all,

    I am who do the multipost, sorry for the inconvenience!

    I have read the bot information thoroughly, and have three solutions.

    [1] Idea from email's "CC". Partition target forum to "primary forum"
    and "not primary forum". When we multipost, we must choose only one
    "primary forum" and several "not primary forum". When someone reply on
    "not primary forum", the post will be post to the "primary forum" but
    can be show on all the "not primary forum". Is it possible in
    techniques?

    [2] When the person who reply the multipost, he can choose to reply to
    all the multipost forums (all follower can view his post, and I prefer
    that) or only reply to the forum he choose.

    [3] When multipost, the system add a tag to the source post and show
    where post is multiposted.

    Any discussions are welcome!
    Davy

    Davy, Aug 15, 2006
  10. Davy

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Davy wrote:
    > wrote:

    > [snip]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am who do the multipost, sorry for the inconvenience!

    You did not mulitpost, and you have nothing to apologize for. David's
    bot has a bug, in that it detected your crosspost as a multipost.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Aug 15, 2006
  11. Davy

    Guest

    Davy wrote:
    > I am who do the multipost, sorry for the inconvenience!

    You didn't actually multipost - you crossposted. My bot mis-identified
    your post as a multipost because of a mistake on my part which happened
    when I did some testing (I'm very sorry about that, and I've fixed the
    problem).

    However, you should also be aware that crossposting to similar
    newsgroups is also frowned upon (see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html). It's not as bad as
    multiposting, but its usually a good idea to pick a "primary group"
    only (if you are not sure which one to post to, it's good to browse
    around and lurk a bit to see the types of topics and the level of
    participation and expertise).

    You got caught up in quite a storm here that really has nothing to do
    with your post - that was not what I expected. I was quite surprised at
    the level of interest in this (and another) thread.

    I have established another thread for ongoing discussions about this
    whole multipost-bot thing which is OT to your post but which has been
    the subject of most of the replies (which is also poor nettiquite on
    our part - sorry). Hopefully folks will leave your thread alone now.

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 15, 2006
  12. Re: PerlDoc used in CPAN?--MULTIPOSTED

    "Davy" <> writes:

    > I have read the bot information thoroughly, and have three solutions.
    >
    > [1] Idea from email's "CC". Partition target forum to "primary forum"
    > and "not primary forum". When we multipost, we must choose only one
    > "primary forum" and several "not primary forum". When someone reply on
    > "not primary forum", the post will be post to the "primary forum" but
    > can be show on all the "not primary forum". Is it possible in
    > techniques?
    >
    > [2] When the person who reply the multipost, he can choose to reply to
    > all the multipost forums (all follower can view his post, and I prefer
    > that) or only reply to the forum he choose.
    >
    > [3] When multipost, the system add a tag to the source post and show
    > where post is multiposted.

    You are speaking of making changes to "the interface" to "the system", but
    usenet is not a single system, nor does it have a single interface. It's a
    distributed network of servers, accessed by way of many client applications,
    one of which happens to be the web-based interface provided by Google.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 15, 2006