PerlDoc used in CPAN?

Davy

Hi all,

I found there is a PerlDoc comment structure used in CPAN Perl Module.
And HTML document can be generated automatically from Perl file (like
NAME, SYNOPSIS, DESCRIPTION...).

Is there any document talk about how to write the comment structure?
And use what tool to generate the HTML? Thanks!

Davy

Sherm Pendley

Davy said:
I found there is a PerlDoc comment structure used in CPAN Perl Module.
And HTML document can be generated automatically from Perl file (like
NAME, SYNOPSIS, DESCRIPTION...).

Is there any document talk about how to write the comment structure?

Yes - see 'perldoc perlpod'.
And use what tool to generate the HTML? Thanks!

See 'perldoc pod2html'.

sherm--

Sherm Pendley

Davy said:
[ snip and ignore MULTIPOSTED message ]

********** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD ***********

Get bent. I'll reply to whomever I please, and I'll do so in a manner that's
far more constructive and helpful than your self-riteous whine-bot will
*EVER* be.

sherm--

John Bokma

***********

Get bent. I'll reply to whomever I please, and I'll do so in a manner
that's far more constructive and helpful than your self-riteous
whine-bot will *EVER* be.

Yup, I agree, the bot post is more annoying and unreadable then a flame
from a regular.

Paul Lalli

Davy said:
[ snip and ignore MULTIPOSTED message ]

********** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD ***********

This message has been multiposted as indicated by these message IDs:
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Is this suppose to be irony? The message IDs are identical. The OP DID
cross post, but this idiotic bot MULTIPOSTED. And why the hell didn't
it detect its own multiposting?
# Q-Who wrote this program? A-- I am not trying to keep my identity #
# a big secret (it's easy enough to find out who I am, and group #
# regulars probably recognize my rants). But I choose to run this #
# scanner anonymously because some posters will be determined to #
# take offense at this.

And by that you mean that everyone who's replied to your various
tirades about Multiposting has disagreed with you? Everything from
"multiposting to p.b and c.l.p.m should be okay" to "instruct the OP,
yes, but burn the thread, no."?
If they get mad at me, their anger may #
# spill over into future postings that I participate in.

And how does not posting your address here prevent that, since, as you
said, all the "regulars" already know who you are?

Paul Lalli

Matt Garrish

Sherm said:
Davy said:
[ snip and ignore MULTIPOSTED message ]

********** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD ***********

Get bent. I'll reply to whomever I please, and I'll do so in a manner that's
far more constructive and helpful than your self-riteous whine-bot will
*EVER* be.

There is much that is annoying about the bot (in particular David's
intimation that he knows best where the thread should be answered). If
he were to remove all the junk and simply indicate where the other
posts have gone so that responses can be set accordingly it might not
be so bad, though.

Matt

usenet

Paul said:
Is this suppose to be irony? The message IDs are identical. The OP DID
cross post, but this idiotic bot MULTIPOSTED

Yeah, I tested the ever living heck out of this thing (see
alt.test.test, alt.test.test2, and alt.test.testing). But, during
testing, I commented out this line (as a test case):

next MSGNUM if @threads == 1; #ignore plain crossposts

And I forgot to un-comment it. I feel totally stupid.
And why the hell didn't it detect its own multiposting?

Because it ignores any message with a "References" header.

DF> > If they get mad at me, their anger may
DF> > # spill over into future postings that I participate in.
And how does not posting your address here prevent that, since, as you
said, all the "regulars" already know who you are?

An OP who gets flagged in a future post can do a historical search on
the message (or search in the testing newsgroups) and determine my
identity (and that's fine). But I doubt many OPs would think to do
that.

usenet

I have opened a new thread in CLPMisc to consolidate continued
discussion on the multipost bot: http://tinyurl.com/nkg7y (this
discussion is clearly OT to the original post).

If you wish to reply regarding this topic, I respectfully ask that you
do so in the new thread (and quote context so folks can follow along).

Davy

Davy said:
[ snip and ignore MULTIPOSTED message ]
[snip]
Hi all,

I am who do the multipost, sorry for the inconvenience!

I have read the bot information thoroughly, and have three solutions.

[1] Idea from email's "CC". Partition target forum to "primary forum"
and "not primary forum". When we multipost, we must choose only one
"primary forum" and several "not primary forum". When someone reply on
"not primary forum", the post will be post to the "primary forum" but
can be show on all the "not primary forum". Is it possible in
techniques?

[2] When the person who reply the multipost, he can choose to reply to
all the multipost forums (all follower can view his post, and I prefer
that) or only reply to the forum he choose.

[3] When multipost, the system add a tag to the source post and show
where post is multiposted.

Any discussions are welcome!
Davy

usenet

Davy said:
I am who do the multipost, sorry for the inconvenience!

You didn't actually multipost - you crossposted. My bot mis-identified
your post as a multipost because of a mistake on my part which happened
when I did some testing (I'm very sorry about that, and I've fixed the
problem).

However, you should also be aware that crossposting to similar
newsgroups is also frowned upon (see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html). It's not as bad as
multiposting, but its usually a good idea to pick a "primary group"
only (if you are not sure which one to post to, it's good to browse
around and lurk a bit to see the types of topics and the level of
participation and expertise).

You got caught up in quite a storm here that really has nothing to do
with your post - that was not what I expected. I was quite surprised at
the level of interest in this (and another) thread.

I have established another thread for ongoing discussions about this
whole multipost-bot thing which is OT to your post but which has been
the subject of most of the replies (which is also poor nettiquite on
our part - sorry). Hopefully folks will leave your thread alone now.

Sherm Pendley

Davy said:
I have read the bot information thoroughly, and have three solutions.

[1] Idea from email's "CC". Partition target forum to "primary forum"
and "not primary forum". When we multipost, we must choose only one
"primary forum" and several "not primary forum". When someone reply on
"not primary forum", the post will be post to the "primary forum" but
can be show on all the "not primary forum". Is it possible in
techniques?

[2] When the person who reply the multipost, he can choose to reply to
all the multipost forums (all follower can view his post, and I prefer
that) or only reply to the forum he choose.

[3] When multipost, the system add a tag to the source post and show
where post is multiposted.

You are speaking of making changes to "the interface" to "the system", but
usenet is not a single system, nor does it have a single interface. It's a
distributed network of servers, accessed by way of many client applications,
one of which happens to be the web-based interface provided by Google.

sherm--