perlXStut

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ketema, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Ketema

    Ketema Guest

    I am attempting to go through the perlXStut and I can't complete the
    make process. My system is WinXP. I have Visual Studio.Net 2003
    installed, so I am using nmake, as also confirmed by perl -V:make. My
    perl is Activestate v5.8.4.
    My perl -V:libc is msvcrt.lib.

    After having a buch of files missing I finally figured out to add
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\bin","c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\include" and "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Vc7\lib" in my perl inc path. The files I am trying to create is
    right out of perlXStut: Mytest. The error I am getting is:

    Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

    link -out:blib\arch\auto\Mytest\Mytest.dll -dll -nologo
    -nodefaultlib -d
    ebug -opt:ref,icf -libpath:"C:\Perl\lib\CORE" -machine:x86
    Mytest.obj C:\Per
    l\lib\CORE\perl58.lib oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib
    winspool.li
    b comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib
    netapi32.lib uu
    id.lib wsock32.lib mpr.lib winmm.lib version.lib odbc32.lib
    odbccp32.lib msvcrt
    ..lib -def:Mytest.def
    Creating library blib\arch\auto\Mytest\Mytest.lib and object
    blib\arch\auto\M
    ytest\Mytest.exp
    LINK : fatal error LNK2023: bad dll or entry point 'msobj71.dll'
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x7e7'
    Stop.

    What can I do to solve this, or is there another way to create to
    object file?(which is what my intepretation of the failure is"

    Thanks
    Ketema

    Ketema, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Ketema

    Sisyphus Guest

    Ketema wrote:
    > I am attempting to go through the perlXStut and I can't complete the
    > make process. My system is WinXP. I have Visual Studio.Net 2003
    > installed, so I am using nmake, as also confirmed by perl -V:make. My
    > perl is Activestate v5.8.4.
    > My perl -V:libc is msvcrt.lib.
    >
    > After having a buch of files missing I finally figured out to add
    > "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    > 2003\Vc7\bin","c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    > 2003\Vc7\include" and "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    > 2003\Vc7\lib" in my perl inc path. The files I am trying to create is
    > right out of perlXStut: Mytest. The error I am getting is:
    >
    > Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077
    > Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    If you want to use Visual Studio .NET as your compiler you should build
    your perl with that compiler. ActiveState perl was built with Visual
    Studio 6 and that will lead to problems when you try to use Visual
    Studio .NET with it (as you have just found out). You could download the
    source to AS build 810 (perl 5.8.4) from the ActiveState site and build
    with Visual Studio .NET. It's not difficult. Or you would probably find
    that the latest source from CPAN (perl 5.8.5) also builds easily with
    Visual Studio .NET.

    Alternatively, if you want to stick with ActiveState-built perl, then
    you should use Visual Studio 6 (MSVC++ 6.0) as your compiler.

    There are possibly workarounds that enable you to use Visual Studio .NET
    with ActiveState-built perl, but I don't know what they are (and have
    little interest in learning of them :)

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Sep 25, 2004